Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Reminds me of the Sabres subreddit deciding that no, they have always been a subreddit about swords, what are you talking about hockey?? for a while out of protest against the team.

Does anyone on this Blue Jacket forum have any advice on Levi’s trucker jackets? I am thinking about getting the medium wash.

1705848970472.png

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
Yet the Dispatch article today is this. For subscribers only, so I don’t know what Arace says.

A lot of rehashing ending with the Tarasov “trial” that PV talked about. Completely worthless article imo.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Does reference a famous 20th century artist, so points maybe to Arace?

And by "famous," I mean the equivalent of if a person was a big visual art fan and knew next to nothing about hockey, that person would say "never heard of him" if the name Marcel Dionne was mentioned.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yet the Dispatch article today is this. For subscribers only, so I don’t know what Arace says.

Arace is normally good for an occaisional rant but I didn't get the purpose of this article.

It starts of like he's going to go off on the front office for all the various drama they have been involved in but then he stops and just says Elvis wants out of town, which is old and since updated news.

It's a lot of words that say nothing at all.

The stuff about Elvis seems mostly opinionated but the damning quote is from Gavrikov. Holy shit I had never seen that.
That is where I got lost. He could have just written an article about how inept the front office is not not pay the guys they develop and then pay just as much money for replacements that don't fll the role correctly.

I don't get why Elvis is even a big apart of the article and a headline in it. He could fill a whole rant on front office ineptitude.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The stuff about Elvis seems mostly opinionated but the damning quote is from Gavrikov. Holy shit I had never seen that.

Gavrikov was such a better fit, my god what a f***up.

I'll acknowledge it's a bit more complicated than Gavrikov vs Severson. They don't play the same side. Jarmo seemed to be thinking about not wanting too much term tied up on the left side with Mateychuk coming up.

But as a result we went from having one good shutdown D option to having zero.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I'll acknowledge it's a bit more complicated than Gavrikov vs Severson. They don't play the same side. Jarmo seemed to be thinking about not wanting too much term tied up on the left side with Mateychuk coming up.

And the fact jarmo thought Provorov or Severson could fix the defense because they aren’t shut down defensemen. They just were more expensive “upgrades” on the rest of the load of offensive D we have.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

What is the Gavrikov thing? Either way, I don’t think he was the solution to anything either and I wonder why Gudbranson doesn’t get any credit for the teams PK statistics when the numbers show they are being effective, like say a Kuraly or Sillinger.

Why do certain guys get excused for not having guys “mesh” well with them, while with others it’s literally held against them. And I hate the inconsistency, people picking and choosing and/or flip flopping on where blame lays between the players, coaching, and management in different situations. IMO the rest of the team has a bigger negative impact on Gudbranson than he has on the team.

Jarmo has admittedly destroyed a team that WAS built well. I don’t think there’s THAT many individual players that are an actual issue, but the overall BUILD is still way off, and has been unbelievably terrible the last few years.

I think the negativity thrown Severson and Gudbranson’s way has been generally undeserved. They are both somewhat overpaid and not perfect players or perfect for what is needed, but I’m not sure who really is, and they fill a role. Up until recently Provorov has been seemingly overrated by many and I don’t see a big difference (if any) in skill or impact between him and Bean.

We have no idea what other options were realistically available. Questions about if Provorov/Severson were the right guys to bring in were there from day 1. Think it’s fascinating how guys like Severson/Gudbranson are seemingly looked at negatively by most because of their cap hits, in relation to a guy like Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What is the Gavrikov thing? Either way, I don’t think he was the solution to anything either and I wonder why Gudbranson doesn’t get any credit for the teams PK statistics when the numbers show they are being effective, like say a Kuraly or Sillinger.

Why do certain guys get excused for not having guys “mesh” well with them, while with others it’s literally held against them. And I hate the inconsistency, people picking and choosing and/or flip flopping on where blame lays between the players, coaching, and management in different situations. IMO the rest of the team has a bigger negative impact on Gudbranson than he has on the team.

Jarmo has admittedly destroyed a team that WAS built well. I don’t think there’s THAT many individual players that are an actual issue, but the overall BUILD is still way off, and has been unbelievably terrible the last few years.

I think the negativity thrown Severson and Gudbranson’s way has been generally undeserved. They are both somewhat overpaid and not perfect players or perfect for what is needed, but I’m not sure who really is, and they fill a role. Up until recently Provorov has been seemingly overrated by many and I don’t see a big difference (if any) in skill or impact between him and Bean.

We have no idea what other options were realistically available. Questions about if Provorov/Severson were the right guys to bring in were there from day 1. Think it’s fascinating how guys like Severson/Gudbranson are seemingly looked at negatively by most because of their cap hits, in relation to a guy like Laine.

- The Gavrikov thing is that Gavrikov wanted to stay in Columbus and they wouldn't go long term with him. Quotes from him.

- Our PK is bad. It started hot but it's been roughly league worst in the last couple months. I don't think Sillinger or Kuraly or Gudbranson should get any credit for something that is bad.

- Gudbranson has been fine in his role this year. I don't care too much about him being overpaid. But it seems you think he is covering what we're missing from Gavrikov? Very different players to my mind. Gavrikov is a guy you put out there to shut down the other teams best. Gudbranson is not, he's a third pair D. We currently do not have a single viable shutdown defenseman.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
“Jarmo's defense sucks so Elvis can’t be considered part of the problem, yet Vincent keeps playing him anyway. But we'd be worse if Laine were playing.” Did I get everything?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
On Porty's podcast he mentioned a couple tidbits here.

The players were supposedly happy with how Elvis conducted himself postgame after the St. Louis shutout. It was "more we, less me", which I believe were Porty's words for it. I hate that bus has been right about this, but getting to "we" is what we need from several players in the lineup.

Porty also mentioned how much the players in Cleveland love playing for Jet Greaves. They love his personality and playing the right way in front of him is what the team is all about. I'm still not sure he'll be a starter in the NHL down the road, but this club could really use a guy in net that the team loves to come together for.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
On Porty's podcast he mentioned a couple tidbits here.

The players were supposedly happy with how Elvis conducted himself postgame after the St. Louis shutout. It was "more we, less me", which I believe were Porty's words for it. I hate that bus has been right about this, but getting to "we" is what we need from several players in the lineup.

Porty also mentioned how much the players in Cleveland love playing for Jet Greaves. They love his personality and playing the right way in front of him is what the team is all about. I'm still not sure he'll be a starter in the NHL down the road, but this club could really use a guy in net that the team loves to come together for.
So what's the other guys problems that they won't play well in front of them?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
NJ needs goaltending help. Well that, and a healthy Jack Hughes.

They're getting .893 goaltending as a team. Yikes.

I have no idea what a deal for Elvis would look like given his term and cap hit all for (relatively) average-ish goaltending this season.
He's certainly been better than what Vanacek/Schmid/Daws have given them so far. All of them have had flashes but nothing consistent. I think Elvis has been consistently better this season for the most part.

NJD also has some D deficiencies due to the turnover to their youth necessitated by their cap strategy and not being able to keep Severson and Graves. They should be fine in the long run but this is growing pains this season.

Rumor was NJ was shopping Alexander Holtz to Calgary. I would assume we'd probably be taking Vanecek back in return. Not sure if Holtz is what we'd need since he's a RW. They aren't giving up big experience. They would probably be interested in either Boqvist or Peeke as well from a defensive need standpoint. Had he not been involved in the Hockey Canada thing, Michael McLeod would have been a good ask in return but that obviously ain't happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad