Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Obviously it can go to 50 different things we can speculate on, but could he have gotten whatever jenner has? I mean, he looked fine after the game. The "we will re-evaluate after his maintinance day" is just very weird sounding. But this illness, or whatever he is dealing with is fairly concerning. Is there another goalie getting that ill, that often?
Not necessarily responding directly to this, but here's an interesting goalie "health" story:laugh::

“I think hockey is a wonderful game — to watch,” he also confided, elsewhere. “But I hate every minute I play. I’m sick to my stomach before the game, between periods and from the start of the season to the end. There’s no such thing as an easy night for a goalie, not even if he never gets a shot to stop during the whole game.”

Reactions: Cujorulesdtown9

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

i know there was a comment in another thread about hedger's use of quotations around "maintenance" in this tweet about elvis. a few things about that:
  • hedger is a clown (obviously) but i don't think he was off-base here
  • the initial reports (from other writers) were that elvis was ill
  • the team has, multiple times this season, initially said "illness" and the later said "upper body injury" – not saying that's the case here, but it's strange enough to note
more importantly, elvis misses a LOT of time due to illness. looking at his injury history log he has missed time seven (!!!) times in the last two years due to illness.
  • 10/12/22 - Illness
  • 11/15/22 - Lower body
  • 12/20/22 - Illness
  • 1/12/23 - Illness
  • 3/7/23 - Illness
  • 3/10/23 - Leg
  • 10/14/23 - Illness
  • 12/6/23 - Illness
  • 12/29/23 - Illness
  • 3/4/24 - Upper body
  • reportedly sick again yesterday forcing an emergency recall of greaves
if he misses today's game that would mark EIGHT times in two years which is frankly insane for a professional athlete. assuming he's not faking to get out of work (relatable tbh) there are only two logical explanations:
  1. he never learned how to wash his hands, or
  2. his immune system is so weak that i genuinely would be worried that he has some kind of autoimmune disorder

I mean these are all legitimate questions about his health I've wondered and obviously medical information is private but it's concerning. Hedger and Portzline obviously like to lean into the Elvis is a lazy POS line that leads fans around here in lean into conspiracy theories.

Like seriously, if Elvis was faking illness, couldn't the team just lean into the contract termination route like the Blackhawks did with Perry and negotiate a settlement? team doctors would know. If he's legitimately got health problems they should be getting addressed.

If the illness was just a team coverup for punishment of something, see above with pursuing the contract termination route for not meeting the terms of his contract?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean these are all legitimate questions about his health I've wondered and obviously medical information is private but it's concerning. Hedger and Portzline obviously like to lean into the Elvis is a lazy POS line that leads fans around here in lean into conspiracy theories.

Like seriously, if Elvis was faking illness, couldn't the team just lean into the contract termination route like the Blackhawks did with Perry and negotiate a settlement? team doctors would know. If he's legitimately got health problems they should be getting addressed.

If the illness was just a team coverup for punishment of something, see above with pursuing the contract termination route for not meeting the terms of his contract?
I frankly wonder how much of it is leftover issues from Kivi (z''l). I've had times where I've had to call in sick to work due to feeling sick to my stomach almost exclusively from stress. You can outright know it's psychosomatic and it still brings you down.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Just saying, I’ve gotten sick about the same amount of times as Elvis since my son was born 2.5 years ago. I know he has a kid around the same age. Little kids are f***ing bioweapons.

I’m guessing it’s a combination of a few factors.
sure, but also:
  1. the hockey season is only 6 months long, so that list doesn't include any times he would have gotten sick during the offseason, training camp, prolonged breaks (bye week, all-star game) etc
  2. "sick" and "sick enough to not play" are very different things when you're getting paid ~$6m a year
  3. other players on the team have young kids too and aren't getting sick
I frankly wonder how much of it is leftover issues from Kivi (z''l). I've had times where I've had to call in sick to work due to feeling sick to my stomach almost exclusively from stress. You can outright know it's psychosomatic and it still brings you down.
this is precisely why the player assistance program exists though, is it not?

Reactions: LJ7

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
But the thing is, if the stuff with kivi is indeed the issue, the player has to want the help and reach out to the program.
With mental health, doing that is still a major step in today's world that not everybody has the power to do. And we know Elvis has a ton of pride in himself to where he might think he doesnt need it. If that were the issue.

But again, could be 50 million things, maybe he really just needed a day off. Could be nothing. Hell, remember back in the day Nasher had a ton of maintinance days.

Reactions: Viqsi

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
But again, could be 50 million things, maybe he really just needed a day off. Could be nothing. Hell, remember back in the day Nasher had a ton of maintinance days.
he had four days between games and it's mostly been tarasov's net anyway for the last month!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
  1. "sick" and "sick enough to not play" are very different things when you're getting paid ~$6m a year

I'm also suspicious about Elvis' number of illnesses, but on this particular point the team does not want sick people in the room infecting their teammates. If Elvis actually is sick then it is good that he is away.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
  1. his immune system is so weak that i genuinely would be worried that he has some kind of autoimmune disorder
Well since we don't know that he doesn't have Crohn's or RA - which actually ARE autoimmune disorders and which could cause him to suffer symptoms at any time - we could choose just to take everyone's word for it that he's ill or has an injury and it's not some great conspiracy worth spending a whole lot of mental energy on.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well since we don't know that he doesn't have Crohn's or RA - which actually ARE autoimmune disorders and which could cause him to suffer symptoms at any time - we could choose just to take everyone's word for it that he's ill or has an injury and it's not some great conspiracy worth spending a whole lot of mental energy on.
But then we wouldn't be able to keep the moral high ground while simultaneously blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
But then we wouldn't be able to keep the moral high ground while simultaneously blaming him for everything that goes wrong.
fwiw i wasn't even being sarcastic with the autoimmune comment.

eight separate instances of him being too sick to play (including, what, four separate times where he's pulled himself mid-game?) over a 150-ish game stretch does not seem normal.

not trying to armchair diagnose anything, just saying that i am genuinely concerned that there may be some kind of a chronic illness going on.
I'm also suspicious about Elvis' number of illnesses, but on this particular point the team does not want sick people in the room infecting their teammates. If Elvis actually is sick then it is good that he is away.
sure, but my point is that other players have kids and aren't getting sick as much, plus elvis has pulled himself out of games multiple times. meaning the team had no issue with him practicing, dressing, warming up and playing.

to phrase it more tactfully: there's a difference between having symptoms and being sick – but the things that would typically fall under "symptoms but not sick" are, like, seasonal allergy stuff that wouldn't be happening in december anyway.

i find it unlikely that, without any kind of additional explanation, he's gotten the flu 8 times in the last two years during hockey season alone.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
fwiw i wasn't even being sarcastic with the autoimmune comment.

eight separate instances of him being too sick to play (including, what, four separate times where he's pulled himself mid-game?) over a 150-ish game stretch does not seem normal.

not trying to armchair diagnose anything, just saying that i am genuinely concerned that there may be some kind of a chronic illness going on.

sure, but my point is that other players have kids and aren't getting sick as much, plus elvis has pulled himself out of games multiple times. meaning the team had no issue with him practicing, dressing, warming up and playing.

to phrase it more tactfully: there's a difference between having symptoms and being sick – but the things that would typically fall under "symptoms but not sick" are, like, seasonal allergy stuff that wouldn't be happening in december anyway.

i find it unlikely that, without any kind of additional explanation, he's gotten the flu 8 times in the last two years during hockey season alone.
I don't find it odd that it has occurred to you that he may suffer from some sort of autoimmune condition.

I do find it odd that you seem to think you're the first person to have done so.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I do find it odd that you seem to think you're the first person to have done so.
and where did i say that?

my post was basically:
  1. i looked at his injury log and holy shit this guy is sick a lot
  2. he may have an autoimmune disorder
i must've missed the part where i planted a flag in that particular take and claimed it as my own.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Time to jettison as much drama as they can.
Does that leave enough to ice a team?

We have a shortage of stable consistent quality veteran players, and we could jettison a few inconsistent types to make roster space to add them this summer.

So on the current lineup, no we actually don't have enough players for a team. But we could use that space to get new veteran voices in the room for next year.

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
if Elvis injury is lower body it can only mean he has his head up his ass

He was screaming at Bean on the ice in his last game

I think maybe the organization has seen enough of him

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
if Elvis injury is lower body it can only mean he has his head up his ass

He was screaming at Bean on the ice in his last game

I think maybe the organization has seen enough of him
Screaming a bit over dramatic. Like a central Ohio weatherman claiming the apocalypse is coming tonight.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Not necessarily responding directly to this, but here's an interesting goalie "health" story:laugh::

“I think hockey is a wonderful game — to watch,” he also confided, elsewhere. “But I hate every minute I play. I’m sick to my stomach before the game, between periods and from the start of the season to the end. There’s no such thing as an easy night for a goalie, not even if he never gets a shot to stop during the whole game.”
As someone who grew up playing goalie, I feel this in my bones. I didn't ever throw up before games, but you better believe I had those nerves in my stomach before every game and basically until you get 10-15 shots and really slow yourself to get lost in the game. I can't imagine the nerves of playing in the NHL with 20 minute intermissions to think in between periods.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
so they went from "he's ill" to "it's a maintenance day" to "lower body injury" with elvis over the last couple days.

this is the third or fourth time (at least) this season that they've ended up eventually giving an injury designation to a player they initially said was sick. extremely weird thing that didn't happen under previous coaches. not sure if it's a pascal vincent thing or a hockey ops / PR thing. either way, super weird.

it's minor, in the grand scheme of things, but i wonder why hedger/portzline haven't brought it up since it is essentially the team giving them inaccurate information.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

And ironically this is a guy who holds a NHL record for goalies that will never be broken as Glen Hall played in 552 consecutive games. A different ears yes, but it was still a grueling position, one he played most of his career without a mask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad