Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

joybang

Apr 5, 2021
Context is a wonderful thing when you apply it.
It’s a legitimate question. If you don’t want to answer it then that’s fine. “Telling it like it is” is also fine. There’s also real world consequences for it. Tbh the entire discourse around him is exhausting at this point and I’ll be happy when there’s a resolution that suits both parties. That’s the last I have to say on him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I do have to admit the constant sicknesses and pulling himself has been peculiar. Not that I’m doubting the validity of the sickness or the need to leave the net, but the amount of times it’s happened is what gets me.
This is true. I've been questioning it all along. the first time it happened this season they immediately put him on the IR for a week.

Was that punitive and they lied and made it an excuse to free up a roster spot? Was he really sick and does he perhaps have a medical issue that should be addressed? Maybe he does have a weak immune system. Lots of people seem to have been getting sick around the league over the last couple of months but somehow Elvis saying he was sick mid game was the final straw?

Sports people always have this stygma about getting sick or injured and "having to be tough" and play through it. We have NFL players trying to play through concussions. Maybe, just maybe Jarmo and JD are so old school they still believe players are "weak" if they can't play through certain issues. They are the same people who thought it was a good idea to hire Babcock to be a hard ass.

I'm not saying Elvis has no blame in the situation but JD and Jarmo have shown time and time again they are extremely poor at handling people. They are a walking HR nightmare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jovavic

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I'm not saying Elvis has no blame in the situation but JD and Jarmo have show time and time again they are extremely poor at handling people. They are a walking HR nightmare.
ownership has created a scenario where they either:
  1. trust the front office to navigate this situation and negotiate a trade after they created this situation and subsequently destroyed all of their leverage
  2. finally fire the front office (long overdue) over them alienating a player who has (reportedly) alienated the rest of the room, which probably alienates all of those players and sets a bad precedent on top of that
truly a no-win situation that could have been avoided simply by firing jarmo after the babcock stuff, or better yet, telling him that babcock was a no-go the second his name came up.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As long as he doesn't try to fight one of the players or coaches, I say look to trade him but otherwise carry on business as usual.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The koteka plan:

1. Fire Jarmo and JD.
2. Have interim GM sit down with Elvis and have tough but fair conversation pointing out that A) he signed a contract, B) he has an obligation to his teammates and coaches, and C) he might be traded, but only if such a move makes sense for the team.
3. Stress that if he plays well, there may be a path for him to remain in Columbus. Also, if he has decided he wants to move on, shutting up and playing well will make working out a trade easier.
4. Call Colorado (Georgiev), Carolina (Andersen), and New Jersey (Vanecek) to see if a trade can be worked out that involves us taking back a goalie with smaller cap hit with less term.
5. Do not answer the phone if Edmonton or Toronto calls.
6. Tell the media that Elvis is an important part of this team, and you understand the relationship has been damaged, but you are working towards repairing it. Also stress he signed a contract and he has to hold up his half of the deal.
7. Play Elvis as the starter and hope he plays well enough that you can make a reasonable trade.
8. Let the CBJ HF board move on from discussions about Jarmo and Elvis.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Mostly deleted - Prefer Koteka's plan ^^ to my rant.

I'll just say that Moneypuck shows Elvis is 34th out of 54 goalies who have played at least 15 games (using GSAx as the metric).
Slightly positive GSAx ytd.
Good enough generally? No. Good enough for contract? Hell no.
But good enough to not get benched for 2 full weeks so they could throw an unprepared Tarasov to the wolves coming off a very short injury rehab stint in Cleveland? Yes. Good enough that even if you want to trade Elvis, you might continue to play him at least every 2nd or 3rd game? Yes.
And yes, I understand Tarasov had to be recalled due to waiver/contract matters. That doesn't mean you start Tarasov 5-6 consecutive games under these circumstances.

Last edited:

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Anyone else picture Jarmo booing when Elvis makes a good save? This is while he is holding up Tarasov's contract like someone watching a horse race with betting slip in hand

Just me? I thought so

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The koteka plan:

1. Fire Jarmo and JD.
2. Have interim GM sit down with Elvis and have tough but fair conversation pointing out that A) he signed a contract, B) he has an obligation to his teammates and coaches, and C) he might be traded, but only if such a move makes sense for the team.
3. Stress that if he plays well, there may be a path for him to remain in Columbus. Also, if he has decided he wants to move on, shutting up and playing well will make working out a trade easier.
4. Call Colorado (Georgiev), Carolina (Andersen), and New Jersey (Vanecek) to see if a trade can be worked out that involves us taking back a goalie with smaller cap hit with less term.
5. Do not answer the phone if Edmonton or Toronto calls.
6. Tell the media that Elvis is an important part of this team, and you understand the relationship has been damaged, but you are working towards repairing it. Also stress he signed a contract and he has to hold up his half of the deal.
7. Play Elvis as the starter and hope he plays well enough that you can make a reasonable trade.
8. Let the CBJ HF board move on from discussions about Jarmo and Elvis.
I wish I had seen this before I typed my prior post!!!!!

Agreed, especially #8. Am tempted to delete my prior post because of your post!!!!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Good post overall but I wanted to highlight this point. No one does this, or it's not done enough. Honesty, even in the face of admitting some personal culpability, is a rare thing, but shouldn't be.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I also don't get what the urgency is in figuring out what you've got in Tarasov right now at this moment. He's under contract for next season. Let's just see if he can finish the season healthy as a first step.

Martin is just sitting here on a last place team getting the Keith Kinkaid treatment and may never see the ice again. We need to stop tying up a roster spot on the 3rd goalie and move on. He's clearly not in the future.

Reactions: Seedtype and koteka

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I also don't get what the urgency is in figuring out what you've got in Tarasov right now at this moment. He's under contract for next season. Let's just see if he can finish the season healthy as a first step.

Martin is just sitting here on a last place team getting the Keith Kinkaid treatment and may never see the ice again. We need to stop tying up a roster spot on the 3rd goalie and move on. He's clearly not in the future.
Spot on

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Not sure if just coach speak or if there’s a chance to patch up the relationship but I thought it was worth posting

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hellebuyck requested a trade and ended up staying, sometimes it happens.

Elvis has a much bigger personality though..
He also said he loves Columbus. I have a feeling the only person in the organization that wants Elvis out of Columbus is Jarmo.

There is a difference in saying "I f'ing hate this place and I've got to get out of here" and "I don't want to leave but I know I need to go if I'm going to be treated like this."

Reactions: Fred Glover

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a lot of reasons why Elvis and the team would benefit from the divorce, but the drama is a little overrated. We don't want headlines and we don't want weird comments from Elvis but this isn't the end of the world. It's not even 1992 level Patrick Roy, where every headline was about Roy and the Habs being in conflict. That conflict went on for like five years, and they won the cup along the way.

Last year was so much worse. I'd be surprised if this is the first time they've looked into trading him.

Reactions: koteka

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
There's a lot of reasons why Elvis and the team would benefit from the divorce, but the drama is a little overrated. We don't want headlines and we don't want weird comments from Elvis but this isn't the end of the world. It's not even 1992 level Patrick Roy, where every headline was about Roy and the Habs being in conflict. That conflict went on for like five years, and they won the cup along the way.

Last year was so much worse. I'd be surprised if this is the first time they've looked into trading him.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I’m honestly not just blanket going to grant that “some players in the room” are in the right.
Exactly. Like, which players? Do they "matter," as in are they star players (insofar as we have "stars")? What kind of frustration are we even talking here?

Is it "I'm frustrated that he's a sore winner on top of being a sore loser?"
Or is it "I'm frustrated that he calls me out for my shit defensive play in front of him and makes me feel embarrassed"?
Or "I'm frustrated that he hates to lose and is rocking the boat when I just wanna come here, collect my paycheck, and go home"?
Or "We do all we can for this guy and none of it is ever good enough"?

Like, there are incredibly important distinctions to make here before everyone just collectively agrees to run yet another player out of town. Most CBJ fans have already made up their minds about it, it appears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad