Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m honestly not just blanket going to grant that “some players in the room” are in the right.
That was something I tried to say a couple of days ago but not sure I said it clearly. Just because someone doesn’t like Elvis doesn’t necessarily mean Elvis is the problem.

With Martin waived, I think they are burying the hatchet
At a minimum this 3 goalie mess is done and they seem pretty intent that a deal isn’t getting done until summer at the earliest.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That was something I tried to say a couple of days ago but not sure I said it clearly. Just because someone doesn’t like Elvis doesn’t necessarily mean Elvis is the problem.

I've out-of-my-ass postulated before that 'the room' is actually the problem, and the players who 'want out' are in the right - now the room has changed enough with time that it's probably nonsense, but... Specifically, I get an extremely strong "Laine is a complete douchebag" vibe and I fear there are others.

Heavy Metal Jackets

Jan 9, 2021
Land of Cheese
Didn't Voronkov and Chinakhov already do this earlier in the season? If you don't play me more I'm mad and leaving! Maybe Elvis just had to bitch at management about the 3 goalies with a threat. That's all I got.

The new mask thing is what got me thinking this. You want to leave but got a brand new Columbus mask just recently?

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Um, but Elvis said himself he asked for a trade?!? So either JD thinks we're all stupid that we didn't hear it or he thinks Elvis is delusional.
If you read AP’s athletic article, he quotes his agent stating Elvis called him shortly after the game to say he misspoke.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Um, but Elvis said himself he asked for a trade?!? So either JD thinks we're all stupid that we didn't hear it or he thinks Elvis is delusional.

What it looks like to me...

Team wanted to give Tarasov starts to see what they have in him. Elvis got mad and went public and team was caught off guard. Now the team and agent have talked and agent has talked to Elvis and they'll just try to forget about it. He'll be starting, and then maybe traded later. I'm sure the agent explained to Elvis that these public outbursts and refusing to be backup will hurt his value and tradability.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've out-of-my-ass postulated before that 'the room' is actually the problem, and the players who 'want out' are in the right - now the room has changed enough with time that it's probably nonsense, but... Specifically, I get an extremely strong "Laine is a complete douchebag" vibe and I fear there are others.

While we're speculating - I tend to think that guys who turn the discussion away from the team's battle and towards their own internal struggle are often felt as distractions for the team. You can include both Elvis and Laine in that category. I don't think we have a lot of evidence of "complete D-bags" on the team.

What it looks like to me...

Team wanted to give Tarasov starts to see what they have in him. Elvis got mad and went public and team was caught off guard. Now the team and agent have talked and agent has talked to Elvis and they'll just try to forget about it. He'll be starting, and then maybe traded later. I'm sure the agent explained to Elvis that these public outbursts and refusing to be backup will hurt his value and tradability.

I think a trade falling through is more plausible.

If they didn't have a trade partner for Elvis but wanted one, then I don't think they would have sat him. I don't think Tarasov getting the run really makes sense on it's own terms. Prospect goalies with weak records like his don't get those opportunities while the better goalie sits, I can't recall that happening before.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
While we're speculating - I tend to think that guys who turn the discussion away from the team's battle and towards their own internal struggle are often felt as distractions for the team. You can include both Elvis and Laine in that category. I don't think we have a lot of evidence of "complete D-bags" on the team.

I don't think I've heard anything douchey from Laine, or Elvis for that matter. Elvis is a bit volatile. Laine is rather quiet and as far as I know seems to be liked and respected by team mates. Not sure where the vibe would come from, maybe the clothing stuff rubs people the wrong way?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Thanks for that. I didn't see it, but I will respond to that agent's spin with a "uh huh, sure." Clean up on aisle 90!
FWIW I think all side are lying on purpose or not. They all have their version of the truth and in reality its somewhere in the middle.

Here is all I care at this point:

Elvis hasn't pulled a gun on anybody.
Elvis hasn't gotten suspended or arrested for drugs or alcohol.
Elvis hasn't been accused of beating his wife or any other woman.
Elvis hasn't asked to look at his teammates phones inappropriately.
There might be a couple of people around who just don't like his personality.
He's still the best goaltending option we have and he has shown he is capable of being great albeit inconsistently.
Our team defense is still atrocious.

The most troubling fact out of all of this is our team defense is egregiously offensive.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I'll buy that they wanted to see Tarasov play. Hell, I wanted to see him play. It's not like we haven't seen Elvis the past how many years.

Tarasov has shown bright spots, he's had way too many injuries and the odds are stacked against him but I've always liked the player.

Elvis needs to calm down in general. He's emotional as all hell and it hurts him in ways. He really needs to grow up and figure out to harness the fire in a positive way where it doesn't make people dislike him. (Allegedly)

That said, I've liked Elvis this year in net. He still gives up too many shit goals but he also makes a ton of saves he probably shouldn't.

I wish people (the media included) cared more about this team's defense and subsequent lack of quality dmen more than they cared about the goalie. I will continue to stand on that soap box if I have to. This team will go nowhere with the current d core and how it's constructed, until we get more well rounded defenders.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Elvis asks for a trade.
Martin gets waived.
Elvis never asked for a trade.
Elvis new CBJ mask.
Elvis #1 for the season.

Elvis vs Dark Jarmo, 4D chess, go.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis asks for a trade.
Martin gets waived.
Elvis never asked for a trade.
Elvis new CBJ mask.
Elvis #1 for the season.

Elvis vs Dark Jarmo, 4D chess, go.
The artist on his new mask has been showing little videos for week around creating the detail on it. My whole thought over the last week has been that it would be a damned shame if he never got to wear it.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Exactly. Like, which players? Do they "matter," as in are they star players (insofar as we have "stars")? What kind of frustration are we even talking here?

Is it "I'm frustrated that he's a sore winner on top of being a sore loser?"
Or is it "I'm frustrated that he calls me out for my shit defensive play in front of him and makes me feel embarrassed"?
Or "I'm frustrated that he hates to lose and is rocking the boat when I just wanna come here, collect my paycheck, and go home"?
Or "We do all we can for this guy and none of it is ever good enough"?

Like, there are incredibly important distinctions to make here before everyone just collectively agrees to run yet another player out of town. Most CBJ fans have already made up their minds about it, it appears.

And why do you think we aren’t getting any answers from any players about Elvis??

Hint: The reality is this isn’t a Jarmo vs Elvis thing the way some are passing off

And THE TEAM has to be the priority over ANY player, especially some shitty overly arrogant self absorbed and entitled goalie that can’t control a rebound.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Well, quite simply having any sort of “group” of players not liking your “starting goalie” is a problem. Bottom line, and there’s nothing more to it.

While we are conveniently not getting any comments from the players, what’s been expressed is that this has been a long term problem.

This isn’t some beef with the GM. This is some sort of issue a teams goalie has had with SEPARATE groups of players and more than likely coaches and management over essentially his entire time with the team.

Having players not wanting to play in front of/for their goalie IS and should be looked at as worse than them having the same feelings for their coach.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Different groups of people over separate years are the issue?? Unbelievable.

Where does Mike Babcock fit in with that mindset above??
You’ve extrapolated a comment from information not in evidence. It’s not surprising, because it suits your narrative.

You’ve also taken a neutral, non-committed statement and suggested it’s picking up sides. Which again, is not surprising, since you don’t understand statements that aren’t about picking sides.

And you’ve inserted an off-topic challenge, for what purpose I'm not sure, but it’s another thing that doesn’t surprise me. My position on that topic was stated very clearly at the time. You're welcome to search it.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Agreed, there isn't really any evidence here. I have 1 anecdote on Laine I'm not going to repeat.

But realistically, we're talking about ~30 dudes, pretty much a guarantee some of them aren't that great. The real problem is likely more that the leadership isn't as strong as it was to deal with "stuff" - again, no real evidence... but you listen to Boone or Werenski talk... I'm not inspired.

Maybe these last couple posts of mine are just poor, wordy, evidence-less attempts at saying I miss Foligno :(

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Agreed, there isn't really any evidence here. I have 1 anecdote on Laine I'm not going to repeat.

But realistically, we're talking about ~30 dudes, pretty much a guarantee some of them aren't that great. The real problem is likely more that the leadership isn't as strong as it was to deal with "stuff" - again, no real evidence... but you listen to Boone or Werenski talk... I'm not inspired.

Maybe these last couple posts of mine are just poor, wordy, evidence-less attempts at saying I miss Foligno :(
Add in Gaudreau…. Very uninspiring …

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Tarasov has shown bright spots, he's had way too many injuries and the odds are stacked against him but I've always liked the player.
my biggest issue with tarasov is that he cannot catch the puck in his glove. like, he just can't. 90% of the time teams shoot glove side he'll line it up right, but it'll trickle out of his glove and cause a scramble in front.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Id say, "Put up or shut up" about Elvis but this team isn't going to help a guys performance in any positive way. I will say stop allowing softer goals and become a positive force on the team instead of a contributor to the negatively of this mess...

Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
This place needs a little more happiness. Because one of the foxes in this video is named Elvis, I hereby decree that this is on-topic for this thread.

Reminds me of the Sabres subreddit deciding that no, they have always been a subreddit about swords, what are you talking about hockey?? for a while out of protest against the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad