The effects of having Hughson call Leaf games (pay attention Rogers)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Contrast this with Tom Wilson's OT goal in game 1.

Mr. Excited on that one wasn't he? Must have been expecting Tom Wilson to snipe top cheese from the half boards.

LMFAO HE SOUNDS LIKE THAT ON EVERY GOAL. Please watch this and go watch yesterdays NHL recap. It's the same monotone that he always uses.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

Cotton

May 13, 2013
So for clarity Leaf nation would prefer that "Holy mackerel" announcer to be on national TV?

I would. But I’d be happy with just regional games. Boston and Pittsburgh both have hilariously biased and homer teams working their regional games, worse than Bowen.

OP here. Just to reiterate, I realize that my negative feelings towards Hughson/Simpson (because they hate the Leafs) have transferred to Rogers (because they force Hughson/Simpson on Leafs fans). Furthermore, the negative brand perception of Rogers caused by Hughson has influenced my buying decisions as a consumer, as well as my media choices (1050>590, TSN>Sportsnet). This thread shows that my views, while not universal, are certainly not unique. Continuing to use Hughson/Simpson on Leafs broadcasts will be detrimental to the Rogers brand. A change, similar to the decision to remove Strombo, is in order.

I’d suggest sending your post to Rogers, let them know.

Hell, you can also let them know that this matter is an active topic amongst Leafs fans on the largest Hockey website on the internet. You never know, maybe the right person sees it and tells Hughson to smarten up.

Reactions: Erdinger

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I would. But I’d be happy with just regional games. Boston and Pittsburgh both have hilariously biased and homer teams working their regional games, worse than Bowen.

I’d suggest sending your post to Rogers, let them know.

Hell, you can also let them know that this matter is an active topic amongst Leafs fans on the largest Hockey website on the internet. You never know, maybe the right person sees it and tells Hughson to smarten up.
Hughson has said in interviews he doesn’t care if Leafs fans feel he’s biased. He says he isn’t

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
hughson clearly has a disdain for maple leafs. there are no if, ands, or buts about it.

it's cute listening to a fan of another team telling us we have nothing to be concerned about.

get him OFF maple leaf games and do it yesterday. i am adept at tuning him out, but it's not fair to the rest of the world having to listen to him.

get him OFF maple leaf games and hurry up about it before it costs you even more.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Here's one from Hughson on the BS double penalty on the Leafs for tonight's Leafs/Oilers game to give the Oilers a 5-on-3 man advantage: "...you could argue there could have been 3 penalties..." Really?! Yeah sure, very professional for one who didn't even know Polak committed the first infraction from a weak call by the ref before Marner got called for the trip. The "3rd" was purely speculation that Zaitsev commited a crosscheck when the replay clearly showed he did no such thing. Explain please, Vancouver fan who doesn't even listen to Hughson's calls on the Leafs but keeps on defending him out of his a55...you're the only one who hasn't provided any evidence that Hughson is not unbias against the Leafs.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I don't look into it too much to let it bother me. Honestly announcers get crapped on the most it seems. Any small error or they get excited for the another team or criticize your team even if it's deserved you get a bunch of dorks crying on the internet how this announcer sucks and ruin their hockey experience lol

Yeah, but it’s such a consistent pattern with Hughson. I almost feel like he was on his best bahaviour tonight, like someone told him to smarten the f*** up and not bite the hand that feeds him.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Leafs killed the 2-minute 5-on-3 in what was obviously a turning point moment and he didn't even mention that they had killed it!

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
it was clearly transparent and more then obvious that someone "had a talk" with hughson about his blatant disdain towards the maple leafs as he was on his best behviour tonight and called the most impartial game in his life.

it probably ate him up.

he was starting to break down in the 3rd and was slipping. he was probably the happiest man alive when the game ended and he didn't have to hold himself in check.

he might be a good little boy for a week or two and mind his manners but he'll be bursting at the seams waiting to get his slimy comments slithering out of his mouth in his efforts to bad mouth them.

get him OFF maple leaf games and do it last week!

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
it was clearly transparent and more then obvious that someone "had a talk" with hughson about his blatant disdain towards the maple leafs as he was on his best behviour tonight and called the most impartial game in his life.

it probably ate him up.

he was starting to break down in the 3rd and was slipping. he was probably the happiest man alive when the game ended and he didn't have to hold himself in check.

he might be a good little boy for a week or two and mind his manners but he'll be bursting at the seams waiting to get his slimy comments slithering out of his mouth in his efforts to bad mouth them.

get him OFF maple leaf games and do it last week!
Thanks to me, I sent him the link to this thread and oh boy, was he ever in his best behaviour tonight!

Reactions: francis246

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think Hughson and Simpson are the best pbp callers Rogers has, so it only makes sense they get the "biggest" games. Happens those are the Leafs games.

I seriously don't hear all the hate in his voice, I mean we all know he is a Canucks fan, but so what? Bob Cole is a lifelong Habs fan...

I think they call they game just fine. They do call it like it is, so if the Leafs are sucking, they say so, but they also give lots of kudos when warranted.

I think if you are hearing negativity in what they are saying, you are contriving it out of sheer will.

Also, who the f*** cares if he does hate the Leafs?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think Hughson and Simpson are the best pbp callers Rogers has, so it only makes sense they get the "biggest" games. Happens those are the Leafs games.

I seriously don't hear all the hate in his voice, I mean we all know he is a Canucks fan, but so what? Bob Cole is a lifelong Habs fan...

I think they call they game just fine. They do call it like it is, so if the Leafs are sucking, they say so, but they also give lots of kudos when warranted.

I think if you are hearing negativity in what they are saying, you are contriving it out of sheer will.

Also, who the **** cares if he does hate the Leafs?

After listening to hockey my whole life, I couldnt tell you Cole was a Habs fan......

I would however bet my house that Hughson would NEVER say "Nothing quite like a win over the Canucks on a Saturday night". I could him saying it about the Leafs again though. Thats a problem.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
After listening to hockey my whole life, I couldnt tell you Cole was a Habs fan......

I would however bet my house that Hughson would NEVER say "Nothing quite like a win over the Canucks on a Saturday night". I could him saying it about the Leafs again though. Thats a problem.

Yea, that's just Hughson being an arrogant prick. Which he clearly is. He's still good at his job generally speaking. If you let stuff like that get you upset, I can't help you. I heard a lot worse from better people. I will agree though, that he probably should not do national games where the Canucks are playing as his bias does seep out in short stinging quips; cannot argue that. But that does not make him a bad pbp guy. It just makes him small.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
just so depressed every time the oilers missed the net tonight.

i feel bad for jimmy H.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
by listening to him.

the unenthusiasm for key leafs goals is impossible to miss. like the leafs 4th goal last night.

or the gold standard - his embarassing sadness when kappy scored that massive ot goal in the playoffs.

playcalls are part of the sporting memories that last forever.....and it really stinks having him take away from all these moments.
Complete agree, he’s a real drain on Leafs games, I avoid him whenever possible. For national broadcasts, you want a guy who’s always psyched for the Canadian team against any American team, and psyched for both teams when it’s two Canadian teams. Hughson is anti-Leafs regardless of their opponent, his snarky, passive aggressive bias definitely takes away from the game.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
As much as I hate Hughson, I'd take him over Romanuk anyday of the week. And that in itself, is a travesty for Leaf fans.

Reactions: OddyOh

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The fact that we are still talking about this proves how inept Rogers is. I don't give a flying frak if an announcer is HOMERISH or whatever the frak. Bottom line is: JOE BOWEN IS THE BEST AT WHAT HE DOES. BAR NONE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad