The effects of having Hughson call Leaf games (pay attention Rogers)

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
So, Rogers, listen up. You've already displayed and admitted that you don't know what you're doing with regards to hockey broadcasts (Strombo). Here's a little story for you...

Watching the Leafs/Canucks game with Hughson was really irritating. Why should the biggest hockey market in the world be forced to listen to a broadcaster who clearly dislikes their team? From a business perspective, it makes zero sense. Anyways, the next day I'm at Vaughan Mills mall because my 12 year-old wants a phone for Christmas. I'm walking around and I see the Rogers store. My first instinct was to go in, but I stopped myself. If Rogers wants to force Jim Hughson on Leafs fans, why should I give them my business? I went past the Fido store as well, since I know they're owned by Rogers. I got my kid a Bell phone.

So then on Monday I get an email from Rogers regarding my business account. I have 5 employees and we have Rogers phones and they sent me my bill. I have now switched all my business phones to Bell. Also, I've been a Fan 590 listener forever. I've switched to TSN 1050, except for the morning because Lansberg is terrible.

So, Rogers, in summation, you are clearly building bad-will with Leaf fans by force-feeding Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson on us. This WILL have a negative impact on your business. Obviously my $1000/month isn't going to be felt overall, but there are a lot of Leaf fans. I get that Joe Bowen is probably a little too homerish for a national broadcast, but at least give us someone who isn't completely anti-Leaf.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
So you've switched providers because you dislike a hockey announcer? I'm sure Rogers are terribly concerned, there must be 2 or 3 more like you.

Switching was a bit of a pain, but easier than I thought. What I found interesting was the somewhat subconscious negative opinion I had of Rogers when looking for the new phone. When I realized it was tied to Jim Hughson calling Leaf games, I lol'd. :)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So you've switched providers because you dislike a hockey announcer? I'm sure Rogers are terribly concerned, there must be 2 or 3 more like you.

At Rogers gouging prices that’s like $600-700 a month between 3 people add in his business that’s like $1000pm not insignificant if others start doing it too. I will never use Rogers or bell directly because of their duopoly and high prices. Unfortunately they own all the others too so indirectly I am probably feeding one of them. Which one owns Telus?

Reactions: gtforepro

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
LMAOOOOO sorry but i had to laugh. This is actually so dumb. You do realize that Saturday night hockey is a NATIONAL BROADCAST not a leafs home broadcast. Rogers doesn't give a flying shit whether hughson likes the leafs or not. It's not required in his job description. Also hughson is not a leafs broadcaster. He doesn't have to like the leafs. For the most part I find him good. He's impartial and he gives attention to both teams players. The Bozak line got lots of praise from him last night.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
LMAOOOOO sorry but i had to laugh. This is actually so dumb. You do realize that Saturday night hockey is a NATIONAL BROADCAST not a leafs home broadcast. Rogers doesn't give a flying **** whether hughson likes the leafs or not. It's not required in his job description. Also hughson is not a leafs broadcaster. He doesn't have to like the leafs. For the most part I find him good. He's impartial and he gives attention to both teams players. The Bozak line got lots of praise from him last night.

Hughson IS NOT impartial. If you can't see that, enjoy your blissfully ignorant existence.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
At Rogers gouging prices that’s like $600-700 a month between 3 people add in his business that’s like $1000pm not insignificant if others start doing it too. I will never use Rogers or bell directly because of their duopoly and high prices. Unfortunately they own all the others too so indirectly I am probably feeding one of them. Which one owns Telus?

Telus is its own company.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
This is by far the dumbest thing I have ever read in my entire life. The dislike of Hughson and Simpson by some in Leafs Nation has gone from kinda annoying to just really weird now. What exactly are you whining about? Like let's settle this once and for all.

You claim Hughson is anti-Leafs. Okay, let's see some evidence of this.

Can any of you who claim Hughson hates the Leafs cite me any DIRECT audio or video evidence of him being "anti Maple Leafs"? Go ahead, I'll wait and when somebody does provide me with this evidence, I'll happily join you "let's fire Hughson" campaign.

Just for the record: I grew up listening to Bob Cole and Harry Neale do the Saturday Night Leafs games on HNIC...and they were great...but Bob Cole is almost dust now and Harry Neale has also moved on...sadly his age has caught up with him too. As for those who want Joe Bowen to do Saturday Night games for the Leafs, please stick your head in the sand. Joe Bowen is great, but he's great for Leafs fans...he's a homer.

Hockey Night in Canada is a national broadcast for Canadian teams...this means regardless of the match up, both fanbases of both Canadian teams will listen to the same broadcast on HNIC. This is not like the weekday games. For example, during the weekday, the Leafs played Calgary and Edmonton last week. The Leafs had there own broadcast on TSN and SNO while Calgary and Edmonton had there own broadcast on SNW. There were two different sets of broadcasts. Saturday night is a NATIONAL BROADCAST and so when the Leafs played Vancouver, both the Leafs and Canucks fans watched the same broadcast.

Get this into your skulls!

I mean, this whole "let's hate Hughson" thing has really gotten out of hand now and it needs to stop. You guys act like a small bush league town...this is something I'd be accustomed to listening to from Nucks fans or Jets or Sens fans.

Seriously embarrassing.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
And I like Hughson...call me biased...I grew up listening to him do Nucks games...and even before the Canucks, he actually did Blue Jays games as well. The guy is top class...I seriously do not get where this hate of him comes from. What do you want him to do? Wank off Auston Matthews every 5 seconds?

TSN Blue Jays opening

Hughson call - Jays clinch '91 AL East on Carter's single

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And I like Hughson...call me biased...I grew up listening to him do Nucks games...and even before the Canucks, he actually did Blue Jays games as well. The guy is top class...I seriously do not get where this hate of him comes from. What do you want him to do? Wank off Auston Matthews every 5 seconds?

TSN Blue Jays opening

Hughson call - Jays clinch '91 AL East on Carter's single

Last saturday: "There's nothing quite like a win over the maple leafs on a saturday night"

and last night it sounded like he wanted to off himself when the leafs scored that 4th goal.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Not Mason Raymond

Are you f***ing serious bro? You resort to this "show me the proof shit" There are so many examples you're simply relying on people's busy lives to make a false impression of lack of evidence. Go the f*** home you troll. I should ignore you for your trash post.
----------------------------------------------------
This thread should be stickied.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Not Mason Raymond

Are you ****ing serious bro? You resort to this "show me the proof ****" There are so many examples you're simply relying on people's busy lives to make a false impression of lack of evidence. Go the **** home you troll. I should ignore you for your trash post.
----------------------------------------------------
This thread should be stickied.

You sound like one of those social justice warriors. I'm asking you for direct audio and video evidence. If it's that prevalent as you claim, go find me some. I think it's more in your head than anything else.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
"Nothing like beating the Leafs"?

The Canucks board was laughing it up that Hughson was trolling us.

It's one thing to not have a homer and completey another to have an unprofessional hack calling our games.

It's not a tin foil conspiracy. Cole is a die hard Canadians fan and I have zero concern with him.

Again.....Why does the biggest fanbase in the world have these losers calling our games? Its unprecedented in pro sports.....and that's not an exageration....

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You sound like one of those social justice warriors. I'm asking you for direct audio and video evidence. If it's that prevalent as you claim, go find me some. I think it's more in your head than anything else.

eh never forget that the reason we can't have bob cole is because the rest of canada whined and bitched so much about him calling leafs games.

never forget.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
eh, it sucks having an announcer more excited for the other team all the time. really takes away from the experience. No other team has to deal with this kind of stuff.

How do you judge if an announcer is "more excited" for another team? Like I told zeke above, I think this whole Hughson thing has gotten to some of your heads. Hughson has praised the Leafs many times and criticized them many times. Last night he was all praise for the Leafs going up 3-0.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Directly ignoring the OBVIOUS proof zeke provided. Its not hard to find so that fact that you won't acknowledge it is that you're just going to irrationally rationalize anything that is shown to you.

How about the shit lty point shot in the vancouver game. He f***ing cream pied his pants over a trash screen goal
"What a pass! What a shot! WHAT A GOAL!!"

Srly go f***ing home troll. I'm not going to feed you anymore

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
"Nothing like beating the Leafs"?
The Canucks board was laughing it up that Hughson was trolling us.
It's one thing to not have a homer and completey another to have an unprofessional hack calling our games.
It's not a tin foil conspiracy. Cole is a die hard Canadians fan and I have zero concern with him.
Again.....Why does the biggest fanbase in the world have these losers calling our games? Its unprecedented in pro sports.....and that's not an exageration....

I wasn't aware Canucks fans mattered to you so much. I live among them, and I could careless about them.

And where is you evidence? Again, these are all accusations you're making. If it's that prevalent as you claim, let's hear some video or audio evidence?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have this feeling that “Not Mason Raymond” is actually “Jim Hughson.”

Hughson is such a snarky jerk regarding the Leafs. It’s nice knowing he’s spending some of his prime years calling a team he hates and possibly having to call the Leafs next golden era. Enjoy!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How do you judge if an announcer is "more excited" for another team?

by listening to him.

the unenthusiasm for key leafs goals is impossible to miss. like the leafs 4th goal last night.

or the gold standard - his embarassing sadness when kappy scored that massive ot goal in the playoffs.

playcalls are part of the sporting memories that last forever.....and it really stinks having him take away from all these moments.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Directly ignoring the OBVIOUS proof zeke provided. Its not hard to find so that fact that you won't acknowledge it is that you're just going to irrationally rationalize anything that is shown to you.

How about the **** lty point shot in the vancouver game. He ****ing cream pied his pants over a trash screen goal
"What a pass! What a shot! WHAT A GOAL!!"

Srly go ****ing home troll. I'm not going to feed you anymore

Do yourself a favour, and don't become a lawyer, because you'd suck at it big time. Zeke provided me with hearsay, not evidence. And that quote means nothing...like I said, it depends from which angle you look at it. If you have a negative mind (which you clearly do) you'll take Hughson's comment in a negative way.

I looked at it from a positive way. Beating the Maple Leafs is a big deal...both in terms of them being a good team, and on top of it being Canada's team. So I don't get what you're up in arms over.

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad