The effects of having Hughson call Leaf games (pay attention Rogers)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Hughson: "There are few things better than a victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs on a Saturday Night"

End of story guys. For those who deny Hughson's dislike for the Leafs, read the above line over and over again until you get it
From the point of view of the winning team, I suspect that he is absolutely correct.

EDIT: I checked the archive of the game and what Hughson actually said was "Few things in Vancouver hockey are better than a Saturday night win over the Toronto Maple Leafs." That is a bit different from what you claimed he said.

Last edited:
Reactions: MapleLeafistan

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Chris Cuthbert would be the perfect pbp replacement for Hughson. He's not a homer and is probably the best unbiased announcer in the biz. Too bad he's wasting away doing Wednesday Night hockey on TSN.

My understanding was that Cuthbert primarily stayed with TSN because he likes calling CFL games.

Oh, and he's highly unlikely to be calling TSN games on Wednesday nights since I'm pretty sure that Wednesday games with Canadian teams are exclusive to Rogers.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Has anyone else in the world ever called Dominic Moore "Dom Moore" or is that Hughson being dumb again?

Given that “Dom” is a not unheard of nickname for "Dominic," I would imagine that it was far from the first time he's been called that.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Hughson: "There are few things better than a victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs on a Saturday Night"

End of story guys. For those who deny Hughson's dislike for the Leafs, read the above line over and over again until you get it

but that's not what he said though.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
My understanding was that Cuthbert primarily stayed with TSN because he likes calling CFL games.

Oh, and he's highly unlikely to be calling TSN games on Wednesday nights since I'm pretty sure that Wednesday games with Canadian teams are exclusive to Rogers.

Cuthbert is actually a Leafs fan.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pathetic? I switched phone companies. My new plan is cheaper and it took less than an hour. How is that pathetic?
Who did you end up going with? I'm looking to move my company away from Bell.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Given that “Dom” is a not unheard of nickname for "Dominic," I would imagine that it was far from the first time he's been called that.
Every Dominic I've ever known I've called Dom, some Domo.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
by listening to him.

the unenthusiasm for key leafs goals is impossible to miss. like the leafs 4th goal last night.

or the gold standard - his embarassing sadness when kappy scored that massive ot goal in the playoffs.

playcalls are part of the sporting memories that last forever.....and it really stinks having him take away from all these moments.

Actually, when he used to call the late games he'd take shots at the Leafs even if they weren't involved in his game.

His dislike isn't a secret, but the fact Cole was a Canadiens fan is because he wasn't biased in his announcing. Funny isn't it, Cole the Habs fan and he was portrayed as a Leafs fan by those who dislike the Leafs. :popcorn:

Would I change my phone because of him? Only if I saved money on the deal.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I've actually found some of the US broadcasters are more fair than Canadian broadcasters over the years.

Didn't get CI this year, found another option, but watching the Leafs play with US broadcasters wasn't as unbalanced as HNiC.

Of course then there are guys like Esposito who is Hughson on steroids.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
because we are on a national broadcast EVERY saturday night. Other teams are not... Would you rather be on a regional broadcast on saturday nights?
Bolded is a personal inference, not really correlated to his comments. But I do agree that it was a bad call but nothing more. As you said it didn't prove anything in regards to him hating the leafs.

What makes you think I want a homer for every broadcast? Just the weekday games, on Saturday we should be at least getting Bob Cole.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I took his 'few things better' line more as a reference to the fact that the Leafs are an old, storied franchise with a large fanbase, so it always feels good when anyone beats them on a Saturday... but that's just me.

He does take jabs at the Leafs, but not to the point that it's caused me to enjoy the game any less. I still like him better than Romanuk.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Romanuk actually makes me laugh so I can deal with it. It's like Llyod Christmas calling a game so once in a while it's ok. I don't sense bias against either team from him.

Hughson on the other hand is very subtle in his Toronto bias. He's not going to come right out and say stuff but he alludes to it. You know it's there. It's like your brother gets his artwork on the fridge and your stuff goes under it to keep it level.
It's like why I hated Dick Irvin for years. Your guy could score a hat trick and Irvin's comments would be yeah but I remember in 1974 when Habs player X did this...on one leg with 2 hours of sleep, etc.

he was probably the worst ever. he was out and out terrible.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The real effect of Hughson calling Leaf games?

Nothing.

Fans can ***** all they want, but they will still watch. Hughson has been doing Leaf games for years, and viewership has only gone up.

Get a grip, you over-sensitive embarrassments to the fanbase. Moaning and crying about a commentator? Ridiculous.

how dare we discuss a hockey topic on a hockey discussion forum!!!!!!

you are the one being over-sensitive. you are the one who is an embarrassment.

it's the truth and for fans to discuss it and want things changed is fair game. just because you may not grasp it doesn't really matter to the 97% of fans who do care and don't want to have to put up with it.

no effect? you should read the thread before whining about things. it is clear that there is an issue or so many posters from such a wide spectrum of society wouldn't be mentioning it. try to keep up.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

no effect? you should read the thread before whining about things.
it is clear that there is an issue or so many posters from such a wide spectrum of society wouldn't be mentioning it. try to keep up.

Correct, no effect - have you seen veiwership numbers for the Leafs? They've only been going up.

I don't like Hughson. I don't find him very interesting or "epic" to listen to; when you've grown up on Bob Cole and Joe Bowen, there's no comparison.

But anti-Leaf? That's the single most hilarious thing I've ever heard this fanbase say (and that includes everything we said about Larry Murphy and Sundin).

Get a grip.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Correct, no effect - have you seen veiwership numbers for the Leafs? They've only been going up.

I don't like Hughson. I don't find him very interesting or "epic" to listen to; when you've grown up on Bob Cole and Joe Bowen, there's no comparison.

But anti-Leaf? That's the single most hilarious thing I've ever heard this fanbase say (and that includes everything we said about Larry Murphy and Sundin).

Get a grip.

get a grip?

lol.

maple leaf fans don't like him doing our games. he is a smarmy snarky punk. we don't need a homer but we don't need someone who admits he hates our team either.

i get you may want to be a contrarian, good for you. the HUGE majority of fans do not want him doing our games with his negative ahole commentary.

just because you think it's okay is no reason for him to continue.

i won't embarrass you by even broaching on the viewership #s as that really has ZERO bearing on the topic matter.

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
get a grip?

lol.

maple leaf fans don't like him doing our games. he is a smarmy snarky punk. we don't need a homer but we don't need someone who admits he hates our team either.

i get you may want to be a contrarian, good for you. the HUGE majority of fans do not want him doing our games with his negative ahole commentary.

just because you think it's okay is no reason for him to continue.

i won't embarrass you by even broaching on the viewership #s as that really has ZERO bearing on the topic matter.

When did he admit that he hates our team?

I'll wait.

More likely, fans hate when someone is critical of their team, and he just so happens to be the commentator that has covered Leafs games when they were terrible. It's the same reason this fanbase hated Healy; Healy never said anything that wasn't said, at nauseum, here.

Viewership #'s have zero bearing on the topic? You mean the topic threatening Rogers that keeping Hughson will lead to negative effects, actually not having any effect at all, isn't noteworthy?

k.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006

Hockey night in Canada is commonly seen as Leafs show on Saturday and watched across the country so yes it would be a good win. Does Jim Hughson like the leafs? Probably not but I
feel announcers in general get bitched at just by people over reacting and looking for something to bitch about. It's not like he's going full blown Jack Edwards bias against the Leafs.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
From the point of view of the winning team, I suspect that he is absolutely correct.

EDIT: I checked the archive of the game and what Hughson actually said was "Few things in Vancouver hockey are better than a Saturday night win over the Toronto Maple Leafs." That is a bit different from what you claimed he said.

This is probably the best post to demonstrate that people hear what they want to hear.

If you already think Hughson hates the Leafs, then.... that's what you heard.

If you're rational though, you heard the entire quote and figured it out in context.

Anyways, I'm sure Rogers is reading this and already making plans. This thing looks like it could really take off and they could lose another 6 or 7 customers by the end of the year...

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
This is such a sound argument. Viewership isn't going up because the Leafs are a good team after being dog crap for years. No actually people are tuning in so that they can listen to Jim Hughson's epic commentary. :laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This is such a sound argument. Viewership isn't going up because the Leafs are a good team after being dog crap for years. No actually people are tuning in so that they can listen to Jim Hughson's epic commentary. :laugh:

People certainly aren't tuning out.

So, I'll come right back at you - what effect?

Say it with me: None.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
how dare we discuss a hockey topic on a hockey discussion forum!!!!!!

you are the one being over-sensitive. you are the one who is an embarrassment.

it's the truth and for fans to discuss it and want things changed is fair game. just because you may not grasp it doesn't really matter to the 97% of fans who do care and don't want to have to put up with it.

no effect? you should read the thread before whining about things. it is clear that there is an issue or so many posters from such a wide spectrum of society wouldn't be mentioning it. try to keep up.
:huh:
Bit of a stretch to call this a "hockey" topic. More like a "I hate this announcer so much that I changed my phone plan" topic.
If you don't like turn sound down or turn off. The announcer has no bearing on team performance so why do you get so worked up about this?

Reactions: francis246 and Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Hockey night in Canada is commonly seen as Leafs show on Saturday and watched across the country so yes it would be a good win. Does Jim Hughson like the leafs? Probably not but I
feel announcers in general get *****ed at just by people over reacting and looking for something to ***** about. It's not like he's going full blown Jack Edwards bias against the Leafs.

Exactly.

Jack Edwards. Rick Jeanneret. Bob Miller. The Florida Panthers guys. There's so many guys that are either proper homers, or blatantly biased against a handful of teams.

The fact that there's people here who think Jim Hughson belongs in the same category is hilariously misinformed.

Jim Hughson isn't a very enjoyable commentator to listen to.

Jim Hughson isn't a Leaf-hater.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
People certainly aren't tuning out.

So, I'll come right back at you - what effect?

Say it with me: None.

In my opinion, the effect is the negative perception of the Rogers brand. When Rogers f***ed up HNIC with Strombo that looked bad on Rogers, so they switched it back to the way we liked it. Same thing here. Hughson hurts the Rogers brand in the eyes of a significant portion of the league's largest fanbase. A consumer with a negative perception of your brand is more likely to make a change away from your brand, as opposed to switching to your brand if their perception is generally positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad