Post-Game Talk: The Edmonton’s New (Old) Lines

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
I see Durzi hasn’t got over his propensity to stop playing in the middle of a shift to argue with refs directly leading to goals against

Figured he would’ve learned his lesson with McDavids dagger against LA but I guess not
Hahaha, I didn’t realize that was the same player. Good for the POS

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks and sepHF

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Gonna disagree here. he nailed a 4.2m buck contract. Oilers weren't going to pay him that and weren't going to be able to pay anything close to that. Seemed as if the coaching staff also looked off what Bjugstad brought to the table and he wasn't valued. Despite playing extremely well here.

Oilers maybe could have gone 1M for him. Why would he sign for that? Holland even said there was no chance of retaining.
Extremely well? What a stretch that is.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They weren't trying. Yotes were winning most puck battles and getting first to pucks constantly. Oilers were standing around. Even Debrusk spotted that. Its Ok, it happens. Long season. They got it done when they needed to and in fairness had the lead already just 5mins into the third. Once the Oilers started throwing it was a TKO.
This is like the reverse of the decade of darkness. Our team would look good for 40 minutes. Then the other team would start trying and.... uh oh

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Missed the game today. Sounded alot like the Anaheim game though. What’s with our 2nd periods?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would agree with them there. Bjugstad only looked bad when we made him the 2C. Otherwise, as a right shot C with size and faceoff ability, he fit like a glove

If we are looking for a 3c who will fill in as a 2c and excel vs a playoff Vegas, that would be an unrealistic expectation

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is like the reverse of the decade of darkness. Our team would look good for 40 minutes. Then the other team would start trying and.... uh oh
Precisely. Felt like Oilers vs Dallas circa 95 or something. its a good way for top clubs to win games down the stretch and save what they can for playoffs. Provided they start playoffs playing properly.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Precisely. Felt like Oilers vs Dallas circa 95 or something. its a good way for top clubs to win games down the stretch and save what they can for playoffs. Provided they start playoffs playing properly.
Much like lazy Drai during stretches of the season, but then looks like a monster in playoffs

It can sound offensive to fans who want a solid effort all the time, but if Drai did that, there's a good chance he wouldn't be as great when it matters

I would feel better about the team if the whole team was doing a similar thing on a whole team scale. Find a sweet spot of "just enough to win games, but don't wreck yourself"

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good that someone (Kane) finally realized shooting the damn puck on an young goalie is a good idea.

Connor is still Connor but I kinda wonder if his regular season focus is a little bit off this year with the wedding planning. He seemed more focused last year, needs to start scoring more goals, you scored 60+ last year like it was nothing dude, stop playing like you can't shoot the puck.

I don't trust Skinner to be our only playoff goalie. He is so slow when he has to move laterally on is down on the ice even on one knee.

Glad to be on the opposite side of these types of games because we were often the team on the receiving end of this in the DoD, but they better be ready to play a much better game against Boston.

Would probably just ride

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl McLeod

For a while.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Very well then. He was one of our better playoff performers and his regular season no slouch either. He did what he was signed to do here and more. For the bottomsix role here he put up some solid numbers.

He scored 7 goals in 30 GP here which is a 19 goal pace. What do you expect for somebody getting role expectation, shutdown assignment and mostly bottomsix.

Reactions: Duke74

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Very well then. He was one of our better playoff performers and his regular season no slouch either. He did what he was signed to do here and more. For the bottomsix role here he put up some solid numbers.

He scored 7 goals in 30 GP here which is a 19 goal pace. What do you expect for somebody getting role expectation, shutdown assignment and mostly bottomsix.
He was awful in the playoffs what are you talking about.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Signs of that were showing up last quarter of last season unfortunately. I remember it came right after Sportsnet did a huge feature on why he was scoring so many goals that year….

He scored 8 goals in 12 playoff games last season (55 goal rate), so I don't really buy it.

This is something specific to this year.

I hate to say it, but if feels like his focus is a bit off right now. Still able to dominate games of course, but not as focused as last year, the only thing I can figure as a change is this year he has the wedding coming up.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Draisaitl in his last 14 games is 8-18-26 seen comments in GDT that he should be moved, what might look like he lacks in effort is easily replaced by the 2nd best or even the best hockey IQ in the NHL he will probably finish from 5th to 7th in scoring race again as he has games in hand for his 6th straight season and maybe his 6th straight top 5 , anyone who thinks this team could be better by moving him give your head a shake

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Much like lazy Drai during stretches of the season, but then looks like a monster in playoffs

It can sound offensive to fans who want a solid effort all the time, but if Drai did that, there's a good chance he wouldn't be as great when it matters

I would feel better about the team if the whole team was doing a similar thing on a whole team scale. Find a sweet spot of "just enough to win games, but don't wreck yourself"
Its funny that people critique the odd game so much and want premium entertainment everytime meanwhile series like Better Call Saul (boring) are called "slow burns" where apparently you have to watch 100 episodes for something to ever happen. One episode I watched was a guy having to do dishes 5 times and redo them because they weren't clean enough or something...my one thought being this is an hour I'm never getting back.

Now thats a strange segue but serves my point that the Oilers deliver pretty good entertainment and signal to noise ratio. This version being of course the 2nd most entertaining version of the club ever. I find something interesting or to like nearly every game and a lot of times very good entertainment relative to what else is on.

Superbore. +4hr marathon and seeing 200 commercials packed in and Taylor swift updated 50X. pffft.

He was awful in the playoffs what are you talking about.
He scored 3 goals for us and some big ones. Not sure where you get awful from. You don't like the player, fine. You won't find many coaches that wouldn't like Bjugstad.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Its funny that people critique the odd game so much and want premium entertainment everytime meanwhile series like Better Call Saul (boring) are called "slow burns" where apparently you have to watch 100 episodes for something to ever happen. One episode I watched was a guy having to do dishes 5 times and redo them because they weren't clean enough or something...my one thought being this is an hour I'm never getting back.

Now thats a strange segue but serves my point that the Oilers deliver pretty good entertainment and signal to noise ratio. This version being of course the 2nd most entertaining version of the club ever. I find something interesting or to like nearly every game and a lot of times very good entertainment relative to what else is on.

Superbore. +4hr marathon and seeing 200 commercials packed in and Taylor swift updated 50X. pffft.

He scored 3 goals for us and some big ones. Not sure where you get awful from. You don't like the player, fine. You won't find many coaches that wouldn't like Bjugstad.
3 points in 12 games and a -2 isn’t good. He had one great game against LA and that’s it. Got absolutely torched in the Vegas series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad