Post-Game Talk: The Edmonton’s New (Old) Lines

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Missed the game, but I assume all goals were blamed on Skinner.
It was 3-2 Coyotes with this shot map so feel free to assume all you need

Attachments

• IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Nice to see Jamark get one and Skinner looking solid.

Nice play on that Phenix pp. Dri?

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Worse, Oilers don't get the Family day game at home? Why NHL? Theres 4k people in the stands in Arizona and most Oilers fans. Throw us a crumb here and have this be a home game instead. Calgary got a home game. Vancouver got a home game, etc.
True. Though on the flip side, this way the Oilers get one extra "home” game while 4K snowbirds and Oilers fans enjoying a desert vacation in February get to see their team live. Positives with the negative :nod:

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Hopefully that empty net goal will wake Foegele the hell up... he's been bloody awful since the Allstar break.. I would have preferred it to be Kane getting his hattrick... but good on Knob to maybe try to get Foegele going.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hyman - McDavid - RNH
McLeod - Draisaitl - Holloway
Kane - Bjugstad or Laughton - Perry
Foegle -Dowd - Janmark
Derek Ryan

Heavy third line that can grind and score especially in the playoffs, dump Brown and get a winger or Center (Janmark can play C) at the TDL for that 4th group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Positive

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind Knoblauch experimenting with lined and even loading up McDrai. It give us a look at 2 other lines to see if we can find 3 guys that click.

We haven't had a reliable 3rd line all year. McLeod/Kane/Foegele have all had good stetches but only when playing in the top 6.

I think finding a 3rd line center and moving McLeod to the wing might be a better path than picking up a top 6 winger.

The most common names for the 3rd line this year have been McLeod, Foegele, Holloway, Janmark, and Brown. That's a lot of guys that skate miles, but don't really accomplish much in the way of meaning results.

If they would lock Perry or Gags into the RW, a vet that can actually drive guide the play, I feel like you'd get way more consistent offence from that group. Imo they should be stapling Holloway to at least one of those two and have them mentor him in a sheltered role.

Hopefully Knob noticed last night that McLeod fits best with Drai, and Holloway can hold his own at centre.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Kane
Foegele-Holloway-Perry
Janmark-Ryan-Gags

Reactions: fireantz and Duke74

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The most common names for the 3rd line this year have been McLeod, Foegele, Holloway, Janmark, and Brown. That's a lot of guys that skate miles, but don't really accomplish much in the way of meaning results.

If they would lock Perry or Gags into the RW, a vet that can actually drive guide the play, I feel like you'd get way more consistent offence from that group. Imo they should be stapling Holloway to at least one of those two and have them mentor him in a sheltered role.

Hopefully Knob noticed last night that McLeod fits best with Drai, and Holloway can hold his own at centre.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
McLeod-Drai-Kane
Foegele-Holloway-Perry
Janmark-Ryan-Gags
Totally agree, McLeod’s speed is actually positive for Drai and that second line, he can track pucks and get them to Drai for passes. anytime they have been together the line has been good. Yesterday was prof once again.

For this bottom 6 lines, I doubt Gagner makes the post season 23 man roster. Also need an upgrade for Ryan. To me he’s the 13th forward.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We're 13 points behind Vancouver but we have 5 games in hand. I'm not too sure what to make of that lol

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Please, for the love of McJesus, keep these lines!

McLeod with Drai basically gives him a McDavid-lite to work with while keeping McDavid with Hyman.
It makes no sense. It was working. Knobblauch hates change. And yet the game after they lost to Vegas which they deserved to win, he put every single line including the defense into the blender. Why? I still have no idea what his goal was.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
It was 3-2 Coyotes with this shot map so feel free to assume all you need
And that is exactly why generic shot tracking data (not the proprietary stuff used by NHL clubs) is so unsatisfactory to statistics enjoyers. Keller's goal is stopped by exactly zero NHL goalies, ever, but Arizona has 0.72 expected goals. I like and refer to a lot of the available compiled stats but they desperately need context, especially within a single game.

Does that shot map accurately reflect the game state according to your viewing as well? If it does I am not sure we will make any progress in this chat. I mean, we had an atrocious 2nd period by my eye.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
And that is exactly why generic shot tracking data (not the proprietary stuff used by NHL clubs) is so unsatisfactory to statistics enjoyers. Keller's goal is stopped by exactly zero NHL goalies, ever, but Arizona has 0.72 expected goals. I like and refer to a lot of the available compiled stats but they desperately need context, especially within a single game.

Does that shot map accurately reflect the game state according to your viewing as well? If it does I am not sure we will make any progress in this chat. I mean, we had an atrocious 2nd period by my eye.

Yeh I agree with this. The money puck is fun to check but it misses so much context, especially in 1 game contexts. Like just cause a shot happens at net front with a shooter jamming pucks into a prone pad doesn’t mean it’s actually more dangerous than an uncontested snipe off the rush from the right circle or a one timer with a preceding pass off the left circle. Shot location data needs way more context to truly grade danger.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Go back to the farm lol

Not the last few. We haven't had a hard nosed coach who kicked the players ass when then needed it since pat Quinn. And he got fired because the spoiled babies like hall didn't listen. Today's coach has to kiss the superstars ass or they will pout. Would like to see a coach call out his team in the media once in a while.
Quinn was fired before Hall or any of those babies ever got here.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
We're 13 points behind Vancouver but we have 5 6 games in hand. I'm not too sure what to make of that lol

We went 2-9-1, gave them 6 points, are only 13 points behind, 6 games in hand (fify) and don't have a ridiculous PDO....

If we had ONLY those 3 games back that would put us at 73 points, Canucks at 74...with us STILL having 6 games in hand on them putting us at 5-6-1 to start the season.

That would put us at .702 P% for #1 in the league in P%, 7th in points....with a minimum of 4 games in hand on EVERYONE in front of us and 2 on Winnipeg with whom we would be tied with.

And still the Oilers would be shit on. LOL f*** I hope the Oilers pass the Canucks. I don't want the Presidents Trophy.....just wanna pass the Canucks.

I just look at this now and can't help but wonder "what if...." and laugh

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad