GDT: The Drive for Five: Islanders @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I put him in for Palms no question. Even if t was just a cut I rather play it safe at this point.

It looked like just a cut, but I am pretty sure he got some stitches and there will be swelling... I'd guess he will be out for a few days at least.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seriously considering getting a Coleman Jersey... Absolutely one of my favorite Devils right now.

Honest to god he's been a huge difference down the stretch, a real x-factor. Hall's been Hall all year and KK's been strong the last several weeks but playing all these close games with Coleman stepping up as he has, is big-time.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Isles fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say congrats on just about locking up a well earned playoff spot. The devils to me look like a team that can surprise the big boys when the dance starts. Fast, gritty and support the puck well with a goalie or two that can stand on his head. As far as the Isles, think they have some interesting pieces with (2) 80 point centers and with some "competent GM moves" this off season will be back in the hunt. Anyway, enjoy the ride, would be nice to see you all beat Beantown or Tampa or whomever you get.....( how about a trade for Coleman and Wood for like a 4th round pick in 2021?) could use the charity...

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
That Nico pass for the Hall breakaway is so friggin silky and underrated.

Seriously the perfect amount of touch to put it between 2 defenders.

Reactions: njdevils1982

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Honest to god he's been a huge difference down the stretch, a real x-factor. Hall's been Hall all year and KK's been strong the last several weeks but playing all these close games with Coleman stepping up as he has, is big-time.

And Noesen, too. He's had some timely goals lately and is always out there hitting and forechecking Who knew there was so much hockey talent in Plano, TX with him and Coleman?

Reactions: Ripshot 43

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
When you guys say Hall put the team on his back it irks me a little bit...

I think it cheapens the contributions the team has made.

Not saying that Hall hasn't been great...

But a lot of players have made significant contributions to the success of this team . No way Hall has the season he had without the contributions from our bottom 6, our rookies, 17 goals from Wood, 9 from Severson. There are 10 players on this team with 10 or more goals, we may have 11 at the seasons end. Last year we had 7. Not even mentioning Kinkaid's amazing run.

Going from 180 team goals to 231 +51 with 4 games remaining is certainly not all Hall.

Perhaps you guys are just pumping a Hart Trophy nomination...but the meme of Hall putting the team on his back is just wrong.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
he has almost 40 points more than the next person...

no ones saying the rest of the team didn’t contribute
It's true the devils don't have that #2 guy who is close to Hall in points.

But they get contributions from every single line. Blake Coleman for instance. At other times Noesen, or Bratt and Gibbons early, or Palms more lately. And Nico has been good throughout.

I agree with Jim. Hall has been amazing, but don't agree with the idea that he has carried the team.

Reactions: Aethon

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Seriously considering getting a Coleman Jersey... Absolutely one of my favorite Devils right now.
7 goals and 9 total points in his last 12. And these include highlight level goals. The pass to Noesen last night was very nice.

Not to mention his defensive work. Fantastic on the forecheck. Dropping Stamkos like a bad habit. His work on the PK. Guy is doing everything.

Short sample, yes, but he is playing like a top 6 player.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
7 goals and 9 total points in his last 12. And these include highlight level goals. The pass to Noesen last night was very nice.

Not to mention his defensive work. Fantastic on the forecheck. Dropping Stamkos like a bad habit. His work on the PK. Guy is doing everything.

Short sample, yes, but he is playing like a top 6 player.

That forecheck behind the net to gain possession was next level.

He has the motor to play in the top 6 if needed on the spot but long term I see him as an elite bottom 6 guy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That shorty goal really speaks to the strength's of Mueller. Good in his own end, and can really skate, and skate with the puck.

When he has the puck and is trying to make decisions as to where the puck should go next? Needs a lot of work there. Even when he has a ton of time on a breakout, he just does not know where the next move is. And we saw last night when he had the puck on the point in the offensive zone and he hesitated instead of just ripping it.

But when the decision is clear to push the puck up ice himself? Mirco looks like a dangerous player.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Away on vacation, just catching up.

Quick download on Palms: did it look bad at the time? No update on the severity?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it looked bad. best case scenario is a cut below his eye that needs stitches and might put him out a game or two. worst case scenario is the stick actually caught his eye as well. no update

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That forecheck behind the net to gain possession was next level.

He has the motor to play in the top 6 if needed on the spot but long term I see him as an elite bottom 6 guy.
And I'd say he really started to break out when he was put on Zajac's wing way back when it was Coleman-Zajac-Gibbons. And the first time Coleman-Zajac-Noesen line was put together, they found instant chemistry and that pulled Zajac out of his slump.

And I'd say it's more along the lines of 3rd line, moreso then bottom 6, but yeah, Coleman-Zajac-Noesen have been great in that role.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
it looked bad. best case scenario is a cut below his eye that needs stitches and might put him out a game or two. worst case scenario is the stick actually caught his eye as well. no update
I'm doubting any serious eye ball issues. Def looks like the brunt of the force was below the danger zone. But I'm sure that thing is going to swell. That was more a puncture then it was a slice.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
It's true the devils don't have that #2 guy who is close to Hall in points.

But they get contributions from every single line. Blake Coleman for instance. At other times Noesen, or Bratt and Gibbons early, or Palms more lately. And Nico has been good throughout.

I agree with Jim. Hall has been amazing, but don't agree with the idea that he has carried the team.

Everyone has stepped up and contributed, but without #9 this team is nowhere. That's why he is the MVP.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This team would be at least Rangers bad without Hall.

Hall pushes defenders back and confused them. He makes the offense a little more skittish about turning the puck over when he's on the ice. He keeps guys like Johannsen on the second or third line where he belongs. And he's a dynamic passer finding open guys for good scoring chances

So I would agree that Hall has pretty much carried this team on his back.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
This team would be at least Rangers bad without Hall.

Hall pushes defenders back and confused them. He makes the offense a little more skittish about turning the puck over when he's on the ice. He keeps guys like Johannsen on the second or third line where he belongs. And he's a dynamic passer finding open guys for good scoring chances

So I would agree that Hall has pretty much carried this team on his back.

Hall does to our offense what a #1LD would do for our defense. Everyone got shuffled down a line and more properly lined up in roles. All of a sudden a guy forced to play top line minutes, gets to play against second or third pairing defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino