GDT: The Drive for Five: Islanders @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah agreed...you can absolutely credit other guys like Boyle for his first few weeks, Nico for going above and beyond expectations as an 18-year old rookie, Bratt for his first two months, Coleman for his improvement, Palm for an underrated impact, KK for stablizing our goaltending, Vat for giving our D a lifeline, etc. Obviously you need more than one player in a literal sense to win but in terms of day-in day-out impact relative to anyone else Hall's's so above and beyond anyone else on the team being consistently elite and someone other teams have to pay attention to, also giving more space to the role players to do their thing.

And you don't think having Hall and a real first line helps all that depth be able to slot in where they're supposed to and find more space against lesser competition? Having depth players play above their level because we had no top-end guys was one of the big issues the last few years.

I absolutely do think it helps. Why do you guys always twist the point...we went from Hall isn't doing alone to Hall doesn't help in a drop of a hat..

The point is it is a team effort. And the symmetry is the reason for both parts of the success...but to the original point, that is the exact opposite of 1 man carrying the team.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think it's just the 40 pt spread between him and Nico. It's when he's scoring. Tying the game. GWG.

At so many points, a jaded fan could say, "Oh f***, here we go again." And at precisely that moment, Hall pushes back. Big moment player.

It's happened enough times to move beyond the anecdotal and into being an established thing that he's done for the team.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Honest to god he's been a huge difference down the stretch, a real x-factor. Hall's been Hall all year and KK's been strong the last several weeks but playing all these close games with Coleman stepping up as he has, is big-time.

Coleman couldn't put the puck in the ocean the first half of the season. The last two months - different story. HUGE.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Intrigued by the Grabner-Zacha-Wood line that was together for a good chunk of the second half last night. Had some nice looks and so much speed. Curious to see if they get further time together. Wouldn't hate it at all.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Coleman couldn't put the puck in the ocean the first half of the season. The last two months - different story. HUGE.

Two goals and two assists in his first 27 games this year, following one goal and one assist in his first 23 games last year. His first 50 NHL games he had exactly 6 points on 3 goals. His steady improvement this year offensively has been amazing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He's 6th on the team in ES goals now.

It's an interesting list (Even Strength Goals).

Hall 24
Hischier 17
Wood 14
Palmieri 13
Noesen 13
Coleman 10
Gibbons 9
Severson 9
Zajac 8
Boyle 8
Bratt 8

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's 6th on the team in ES goals now.

It's an interesting list (Even Strength Goals).

Hall 24
Hischier 17
Wood 14
Palmieri 13
Noesen 13
Coleman 10
Gibbons 9
Severson 9
Zajac 8
Boyle 8
Bratt 8
That Nico though.

Reactions: Aethon

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I really feel like we should find a RW for Hall and Hischier

preferable one beginning with H so i can have my Triple H line

D needs addressed too tho hmm

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Bottom six scoring has been timely all year.

First it was all Gibbons, then Boyle stepped up, then Noesen, Hall carried the team in January and into February, and then Coleman stepped up. Wood has been pretty consistent throughout as well.

Reactions: Patrik26 and Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

We already have him.

Joey Anderson. :)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I still think Shero is adding another top six forward this off-season.

Depending on the deal, I wouldn't mind adding Nash, Perron, or Neal to fill out the top six. All those guys are still quality second line wingers that should be able to produce ~50 points in our top six.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Wanting to give credit to the team for a 51 goal boost in offense as opposed to individual is an act?

If I have an act, it's a disdain for lazy stupid narratives that are easily debunked with just a glance of the stat page.

Well Hall has 36 more points then last year, so he is contributing a lot on that up swing of offense we are having this year

Reactions: Blender

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Without a doubt. 5on5 points is a much better predictor of future success than power play points, and he's having one of the best seasons at 5on5 of any D+1 rookie in recent history.
It has been such a joy to watch too. For money he's the best rookie skater we have ever had and we"ve had some good ones. It's the IQ and completeness of his game, that really sets him apart.

(Brodeur was the best rookie we ever had though :) )

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
And what I like a lot about Hall is that he actually plays defense. He made some solid play on our own zone and he has done so all year. He still makes those high risk plays that I think any player of his caliber do, and sometimes it turns out to be bad.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Two goals and two assists in his first 27 games this year, following one goal and one assist in his first 23 games last year. His first 50 NHL games he had exactly 6 points on 3 goals. His steady improvement this year offensively has been amazing.
Im pretty sure he was leading the team in Corsi percentage during that time...if you put any credence in that?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I still think Shero is adding another top six forward this off-season.

Depending on the deal, I wouldn't mind adding Nash, Perron, or Neal to fill out the top six. All those guys are still quality second line wingers that should be able to produce ~50 points in our top six.

The best move might be to just retain Maroon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad