GDT: The Drive for Five: Islanders @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Isles fan coming in peace. Just wanted to say congrats on just about locking up a well earned playoff spot. The devils to me look like a team that can surprise the big boys when the dance starts. Fast, gritty and support the puck well with a goalie or two that can stand on his head. As far as the Isles, think they have some interesting pieces with (2) 80 point centers and with some "competent GM moves" this off season will be back in the hunt. Anyway, enjoy the ride, would be nice to see you all beat Beantown or Tampa or whomever you get.....( how about a trade for Coleman and Wood for like a 4th round pick in 2021?) could use the charity...

Thanks for the kind words but nothing is locked up at this point

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Going from 180 team goals to 231 +51 with 4 games remaining is certainly not all Hall.

Perhaps you guys are just pumping a Hart Trophy nomination...but the meme of Hall putting the team on his back is just wrong.

Here's the thing, there's SUCH a big gap between Hall and anyone else on the team in points, that's why the narrative is he puts the team on his back. It's unusual to see a 40-point gap between the top scorer and whoever's #2 on the team (in this case, Nico). And yes they've had a lot of guys contribute to varying degrees but other than KK the last six weeks goaltending's been very shaky and the defense has been very spotty other than Vatanen.

Hall also has 50% more goals than Palm who's 2nd on the team and 100% more goals than anyone else. And both goalies have almost identically mediocre splits at this point (with KK having to rally just to get back to a 2.89 GAA and .910 save percentage). If Hall's not carrying this team then nobody outside a goalie can ever really carry a team by that scale.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Why can’t Jim/Aethon just ever enjoy having an elite offensive player on the team?

Btw, for the record it is a situation where Nico and Hall feed off each other....but it mostly Hall.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think there is just confusion over the term “carrying”. Hall is absolutely carrying the team but this is in no way saying that other players aren’t contributing.

We have a very deep team just not a ton of top tier talent.... yet. The additions of Grabner and Maroon to make Stafford and Hayes extras was huge for our depth.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here's the thing, there's SUCH a big gap between Hall and anyone else on the team in points, that's why the narrative is he puts the team on his back. It's unusual to see a 40-point gap between the top scorer and whoever's #2 on the team (in this case, Nico). And yes they've had a lot of guys contribute to varying degrees but other than KK the last six weeks goaltending's been very shaky and the defense has been very spotty other than Vatanen.

Hall also has 50% more goals than Palm who's 2nd on the team and 100% more goals than anyone else. If Hall's not carrying this team then nobody outside a goalie can ever really carry a team by that scale.

Look at the point distributions

We have 14 players with more than 20 points. Last year we had 9. We had none on the bottom 6 last year, unless you count Zacha, this year we have 4 or 6 again depending on how you count Zacha and Zajac. edit: actually more, Wood, Boyle, Noesen, Coleman, Gibbons, Zacha, Zajac...7 who have played in the bottom 6 with 20+ points

The depth is where all the the points are. And to my way of thinking that is the exact opposite of 1 person carrying the team.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Why can’t Jim/Aethon just ever enjoy having an elite offensive player on the team?

Btw, for the record it is a situation where Nico and Hall feed off each other....but it mostly Hall.

It’s called... attention. You guys keep feeding into the behavior and certain posters feed off of it. I believe wrestling fans call it... being the heel.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think there is just confusion over the term “carrying”. Hall is absolutely carrying the team but this is in no way saying that other players aren’t contributing.

We have a very deep team just not a ton of top tier talent.... yet. The additions of Grabner and Maroon to make Stafford and Hayes extras was huge for our depth.

Yeah agreed...you can absolutely credit other guys like Boyle for his first few weeks, Nico for going above and beyond expectations as an 18-year old rookie, Bratt for his first two months, Coleman for his improvement, Palm for an underrated impact, KK for stablizing our goaltending, Vat for giving our D a lifeline, etc. Obviously you need more than one player in a literal sense to win but in terms of day-in day-out impact relative to anyone else Hall's's so above and beyond anyone else on the team being consistently elite and someone other teams have to pay attention to, also giving more space to the role players to do their thing.

The depth is where all the the points are. And to my way of thinking that is the exact opposite of 1 person carrying the team.

And you don't think having Hall and a real first line helps all that depth be able to slot in where they're supposed to and find more space against lesser competition? Having depth players play above their level because we had no top-end guys was one of the big issues the last few years.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If you don’t think this is Hall carrying the team, you can’t think any player ever carried any team. Of course there are other players contributing some, that’s literally true of every team in the league. The key is that Hall is producing nearly double what the next best player is producing. And if he wasn’t having this Hart caliber season, we’d be on the outside of the playoffs. Therefore he’s carrying the team. This seems obviously true.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm doubting any serious eye ball issues. Def looks like the brunt of the force was below the danger zone. But I'm sure that thing is going to swell. That was more a puncture then it was a slice.

The thing that concerned me was how he looked legitimately out of it when being helped off the ice. Kind of woozy or glassy-eyed. Hope he's okay.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And Nico is 3 points away from what led last year's team in scoring.

Hall and Palmieri both had 53 points last season. Nico's 18 goals and 53 points added to this team is as significant to the upswing as anything else this season...add Bratt, Butcher Coleman, Gibbons and Wood's contributions and that is huge.
Edit:
AND. I don't for a second believe that Hall could even have this season without those contributions. That depth frees up a lot...its ia symmetry, one force feeds the other.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm doubting any serious eye ball issues. Def looks like the brunt of the force was below the danger zone. But I'm sure that thing is going to swell. That was more a puncture then it was a slice.

i agree. and we’ve had enough ball issues with cory this year, it would be devastating to lose palms for the same thing, in a sense

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not really. Your act is rather obvious.
Wanting to give credit to the team for a 51 goal boost in offense as opposed to individual is an act?

If I have an act, it's a disdain for lazy stupid narratives that are easily debunked with just a glance of the stat page.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
a lot of players have made contributions, but nobody more than taylor hall. is what i think the answer is here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Looking at a stat sheet? They have a 51 goal boost sure, and Hall himself has a 35-point improvement over last year so that's certainly helped a lot of that uptick too. Whatever you want to credit to it, is strictly opinion. I just think he's playing better and more inspired this year. Sure Nico's helped but Hall mentally is in a different place. He was averaging about a PPG even last year until the season went up in smoke in December, then he fell off.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I am enjoying it...it just bothers me when people say he's "carrying the team" though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Looking at a stat sheet? They have a 51 goal boost, Hall has a 35-point improvement over last year so that's certainly helped a lot of that improvement. Whatever you want to credit to it, is strictly opinion. I just think he's playing better and more inspired this year. Sure Nico's helped but Hall mentally is in a different place. He was averaging about a PPG even last year until the season went up in smoke in December, then he fell off.
There is much more significant boost in the bottom 6 this year compared to the top 6 including Hall and Nico...thats just straight numbers no opinion.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think anybody saying he is "carrying the team" is trying to diminish what other players have done. They're merely pointing out what a great individual season he's having, which is okay. The guy has 38 more points than the 2nd scorer on the team and over twice as many as the 3rd leading scorer. That's about as close to "carrying the team" as a forward can get.

Reactions: NJDevs26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->