Rumor: The dog days of august proposal and trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Horcoff getting a shot at making this team would make a bad summer for the franchise even worse. It doesn't need the aging and useless version of a selfish, soft, drug abusing player bringing his inflated ego into the dressing room of a team that already has enough problems with another difficult non-playoff year coming up.

Just to add to that, Mactavish being the president of the Horcoff fan club would probably have a lot to do with a decision like this. Never a good thing when the worst player assessment coach/GM in franchise history has enough pull to get the new GM to waste time on a useless 38 year old player.

I'm not a huge Horcoff fan and honestly I rather someone else. However, if he did come to camp and did earn a contract I'd be fine with it. If TM thinks there is value in Horcoff then I'd be fine I guess.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Have to think at this point you could get him for damn near min or at the very least if he can't make the roster he's a guy that's cap hit would disappear if sent to Bakersfield.

Pto from three teams already, that number will slowly move up of course. I have no idea what that hold up is.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Horcoff getting a shot at making this team would make a bad summer for the franchise even worse. It doesn't need the aging and useless version of a selfish, soft, drug abusing player bringing his inflated ego into the dressing room of a team that already has enough problems with another difficult non-playoff year coming up.

Just to add to that, Mactavish being the president of the Horcoff fan club would probably have a lot to do with a decision like this. Never a good thing when the worst player assessment coach/GM in franchise history has enough pull to get the new GM to waste time on a useless 38 year old player.

Why was it a bad summer for the franchise? Forget Horcoff. Look at what this team did this summer...

1) Drafted Puljujarvi 4th overall. A player who had some 1st overall buzz. A player who led the WHC in scoring as a 17 year old. A player who is big, plays big, and might very well be ready for the NHL.

2) Traded Hall for Larsson. Maybe not a popular trade, but one is thing is certain, the team as is, with Hall, was not getting it done. Basically finishing bottom 3 in the league every year that he was here (except 1 year in the lockout year). Was it all his fault? no, but he wasn't the solution either. The team needed to get better on the backend, with Larsson, they are better on the back end.

3) Signed Lucic. the top UFA available. A player unlike any other in the NHL, a player Oil fans never thought they would never have a chance of signing 2 years ago, and now he's an Oiler. He wasn't cheap, but many other teams would of paid him just as much or even more. A true leader both on and off the ice.

Those were the main 3 things, and you consider it a bad summer for the team? I'm glad I don't live in your world, too negative for me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No but when you say trash when it comes to Larsson like training wheels coming off without Greene.

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/4/11/11404006/the-all-about-the-jersey-awards-for-the-2015-16-new-jersey-devils

Hopefully this will shed some insight.

It's not "trash" to state that Larsson has only been a high level d-man when partnered with a d-man who has a history of pumping up other d-men.

Forgive me if I'm not going to be a blind homer and just assume he's some super stud all-star d-man that he's being pumped up to be. I'll believe it once I see it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I like the idea of Horcoff on a PTO a lot. Useful vet as a depth option and he bleeds Copper and Blue, deserves to retire an Oiler if he can make the team. I really don't understand the hate, hell the team got worse after he left.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How can anyone not like Horcoff? A low draft pick that worked his way up from the minors to being a top line center in the NHL. Was considered for the Olympic team. His play went downhill after he hurt his shoulder but we need more players like Horcoff instead of depending on a new top 3 pick every year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's not "trash" to state that Larsson has only been a high level d-man when partnered with a d-man who has a history of pumping up other d-men.

Forgive me if I'm not going to be a blind homer and just assume he's some super stud all-star d-man that he's being pumped up to be. I'll believe it once I see it.

You could pretty much say the same thing about Roman Josi though. And yet it would seem that most would believe he is legit.

There is a mountain of evidence if you want to look to show that Larson was an equal partner in a defensive tandem that at least statistically was one of if not the best shutdown pair in the NHL last year. While his offense may be in question the eye test would certainly back this up, as does the comments of just about every Devil fan who has come here. You can of course believe what you like about Larsson, but suggesting that one has to be a blind homer to believe that Larsson is for real seems a little extreme.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You could pretty much say the same thing about Roman Josi though. And yet it would seem that most would believe he is legit.

There is a mountain of evidence if you want to look to show that Larson was an equal partner in a defensive tandem that at least statistically was one of if not the best shutdown pair in the NHL last year. While his offense may be in question the eye test would certainly back this up, as does the comments of just about every Devil fan who has come here. You can of course believe what you like about Larsson, but suggesting that one has to be a blind homer to believe that Larsson is for real seems a little extreme.

All of this stems from the suggestion that Sekera may very well be better than either of Klefbom or Larsson next year. When you consider all of their track records, is that really all that crazy of a statement?

And I do think Larsson is for real. I think he's a great shut down d-man, but he seems to bring little offensively. Sekera is a more competent two-way guy.

Klefbom... eh. I'm pretty leery about. He played at a really high level, but it wasn't for a very long period of time. I'm hesitant to say he's a legit top pairing d-man.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

No, you're not being a blind homer, you're just being blind in a different way. When you previously call the Hall trade the worst trade in the NHL in the last decade, that'll blind you.

Fourier said it much more eloquently than I can.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, you're not being a blind homer, you're just being blind in a different way. When you previously call the Hall trade the worst trade in the NHL in the last decade, that'll blind you.

Fourier said it much more eloquently than I can.

I again wonder what this has to do with Taylor Hall.

Or are you just taking shots at me as a poster? That's against the rules my friend.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I again wonder what this has to do with Taylor Hall.

Or are you just taking shots at me as a poster? That's against the rules my friend.

No, I'm not taking shots at you. I'm reasoning to why you are sour on Larsson. I wasn't the one who linked about being a blind homer after all.

Funny, I thought playing Mod was against the rules.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No, I'm not taking shots at you. I'm reasoning to why you are sour on Larsson. I wasn't the one who linked about being a blind homer after all.

Funny, I thought playing Mod was against the rules.

Because I think Sekera might be better than him, I'm sour on Larsson?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Horcoff PTO would be a nice gesture. But from an organizational standpoint it isn't necessary. He's not going to beat out any of the guys vying for that job.

As for the PED business, he's paid his penalty. He was a warrior for many years on this team and I personally hold no ill will against him. I just think he's done.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
When you say stuff like "training wheels coming off" yes. I think I already pointed that out.

Someone else brought up the training wheels analogy. I explained why some (myself included) think he has something to prove. He's had "training wheels" on for the past two seasons by playing alongside Greene, a really great d-man who has had an excellent career. Those two seasons coincide with the only time Larsson has looked like a really good d-man.

How is it an unreasonable take to think he needs to prove he can play at that level without Andy Greene alongside of him?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Adam Larsson is substantially better than Sekera defensively. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

And Sekera is substantially better offensively. What's your point? I really don't understand why everyone is getting upset at the suggestion that he might be better than either of the Swedes this year. He's played on the top pairing for years.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
And Sekera is substantially better offensively. What's your point? I really don't understand why everyone is getting upset at the suggestion that he might be better than either of the Swedes this year. He's played on the top pairing for years.

Larsson if given the same opportunity that Sekera was last year, would blow him out of the water with offense. Sekera is mediocre offensively.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Considering they're both defenseman, to say one is better because their offensive game is moderately better is a tad facetious wouldn't you think?

Like blitzago posted, you flip the scenarios, Larsson probably puts up similar or better offensive numbers. You give Sekera a season of 30% OZ starts and you'll hear fans calling for his head.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

For the record, I think there's absolutely nothing unreasonable about this in my view. I hope (and think it's likely) that you're wrong that Sekera will be better than both but it'd hardly be a shock to me. Larsson is young, going to be thrown head first into the deep end with very little veteran support on the back end other than Sekera and have more fan and media expectations weighing on him than ever before. It's not strange at all that he might regress.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Sekera had a sick world championship performance for Slovakia. He will surprise a few people this upcoming season, also consider him having consistent partner(s) on d.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This thread is definitely off on a tangent. Closing. I will start up a new rumour and proposal thread. If someone else wants to start up a 'rank the oilers D' thread or something feel free. But that topic will be removed from the next thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad