Rumor: The dog days of august proposal and trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am ok with Horcoff coming back on a PTO. If he earns a contract then great. Depth doesn't hurt. He'd be good insurance if Letestu went down.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Klefbom was better for about 20 games. People seem to be forgetting that he looked like a lost puppy when the year started. Larsson was better defensively. Sekera better offensively.

And yeah. We are in huge trouble lol. This team wont make it out of the bottom 10.

When he proves the training wheels actually have come off and he can handle it (ie not being baby sat by Green for two years).

Jesus, do you even bother reading what's been written about Larsson? Or are you just going to keep burying your head under the sand of "WE TRADED HALL FOR HIM".

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am ok with Horcoff coming back on a PTO. If he earns a contract then great. Depth doesn't hurt. He'd be good insurance if Letestu went down.

Horcoff is a player coaches like. Really can't see him not making the team if given a PTO.

Does Yak for Nichuskin make any sense?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not unless we know we can sign him.. Apparently may go to KHL.

I think that's mainly because he and the team don't see eye to eye kinda like Yak and Edm.

Even if he went back I don't know it would be the worse thing for a year. I was hoping Yak would go back for a year and play against lessor talent and get his confidence back.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If Horcoff was good enough to play on a team like Anaheim then he should t have much problem making the Oilers.

That logic doesn't always follow though, as the Oilers trading for Colin Fraser should've taught us. He was "good enough" to play on a powerhouse team like Chicago for 2 years, but on the Oilers he was pretty much useless.

IMO the large majority of 3rd/4th liners in the NHL are interchangeable, and being on good teams with high end dmen can make them look better than they are.

At this stage of his career I don't see Horcoff as anything more than PTO fodder, given that I don't see a problem with offering him a tryout.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pouliot - Horcoff - Yakupov

The HFOil posts would write themselves. :sarcasm:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I love PTOs, makes the preseason more exciting. Like the year they brought Anson Carter back. Granted he got a concussion on his first shift, but it was fun. If nothing else maybe you get a couple goals from Horcoff for a nice story.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Horcoff's best case scenario would be Landers worst case scenario.

I fully expect Lander to stink it up but I still don't see the point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If not Horcoff I still think they bring someone in. Center depth for defensive centers isn't great and TM had very little confidence in Lander.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We honestly don't have enough minutes for the centers we have already, lol. McDavid is going to play 20 minutes a night next year, because he's simply too good to leave on the bench.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Horcoff was a complete bum outside of one good contract year. He is a living lesson why you typically need bigger sample sizes before handing out big contracts.

The guy supposedly trained like a beast but mailed it in for years on the ice and was out matched game in and game out.

Didn't he have some "character" issues that lead to him being tossed around the league not so long ago?

We don't need more players with "character" issues on this team. Kassian as a reclamation project is enough.

As a hockey player, from what I have seen recently, he is a borderline NHLer. That if not for his previous history I would pay 1 mill to sit on the bench in case of injuries as our 13th forward.

But he does have a history and a very bad one IMO so I wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really thought Kelly was going to be a guy PC went after and maybe he did. Although Kelly signed rather early for 900k, PC might've wanted him on PTO as well. Just seems Kelly would've been the ideal vet bottom 6 guy to go after. Experience playing all three forward positions just seemed like a fit.

Other guy I'm kinda shocked about is Seidenberg. Seems like a good fit for us if we aren't going after Gryba, has experience, is physical and has something to prove. I'll agree there are some flags, but considering the KHL starts today or tomorrow or something it's obvious he still wants a NHL deal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
expanding on this

centers--McDavid--Nuge- Leon D

right there is 60 minutes of hockey

except they are all very young and we might not to lean on them that much. McLellan likes playing centers on the wing, and I think we are a team that really should be doing that.

We might have to trade someone out to make it work.

Personally I like the idea of having Horcoff on a PTO. He helped our power play quite a bit while he was here (Letestu hasn't been as good imo), and he is a veteran. The fact that the rebuild basically went south when we traded him has vindicated him to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad