Post-Game Talk: The Defending Stanley Cup Champs vs the Defending Stanley Cup Champions....of 06-07

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
People who think Jensen is better than Kempny must have their heads buried in sand during games. Jensen isn't a small dude but even Djoos plays more physical than him. Embarrassed again in that Foegele goal where he should have played the body and instead just tried to poke it and let him walk right in. Late in the 3rd he had a terrible turnover which lead to Niederreiter and Aho basically having a 2-on-0 right in front of our net.

Good win. Holtby was great.

I don't think anyone is saying Jensen was better than Kempny, but despite getting walked a few times recently, Jensen was playing a stronger overall game than Juice does, including real PK time and 3 on 3 pr 4 on 4 time. I just really wanted both in the lineup but now it will be last years defense with Jensen in for Kempny. That doesn't make us better, but its not a massive downgrade like being stuck with Bowey or even Siegs playing regular shifts.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There is this area that I know well from working on the radio. You learn a format and do it well. Then when you are going from thinking everything to doing it naturally, you start making mistakes. Its part of the settling in process. Very likely that is what Jensen is living thru. It will pass.

Meanwhile, Orlov was strong on his skates save for that one hit he took. The move where he hit the cross bar is signature Orlov. He is the only guy on the team that can do that and it was really good to see that.

One more mention of Orpik playing 20. A good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Then when you are going from thinking everything to doing it naturally, you start making mistakes. Its part of the settling in process. Very likely that is what Jensen is living thru. It will pass.

I assume you meant "stop making mistakes" there, in which case I agree. Changing systems takes time for it to become second nature. Jensen said in an interview he'd never played the man to man system we use. He's still getting it down. IT may explain a few mistakes but not really an excuse for him getting physically overpowered by Killorn, who isn't exactly a giant.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I don't think anyone is saying Jensen was better than Kempny, but despite getting walked a few times recently, Jensen was playing a stronger overall game than Juice does, including real PK time and 3 on 3 pr 4 on 4 time. I just really wanted both in the lineup but now it will be last years defense with Jensen in for Kempny. That doesn't make us better, but its not a massive downgrade like being stuck with Bowey or even Siegs playing regular shifts.
I really don’t think Jensen is a significant upgrade from Djoos. Jensen seems to have a real problem with physicality I am scared of how he will perform in playoff hockey.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I assume you meant "stop making mistakes" there, in which case I agree. .

No. You start. When I went to work for a new radio station I had to learn the new equipment and all the new formatics of things you did and said which had to be done specifically. I would have to concentrate on each element as I did it. After a few days of that I would start doing things naturally and my mind would move from thinking the basics of the formatics to being creative and thinking ahead. When I started to do that I would without exception put my hand on the wrong switch or say the wrong thing and the like. I would need to work my way thru a period of those kind of mistakes so that my version or read and react and my performance would come up to my level.

I suggest that Jensen is in that in between time that I described.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I suggest that Jensen is in that in between time that I described.

If that was the case though wouldn’t we expect him to get better not worse. I feel like he is regressing. And in the games that felt most like PO games (pens game, Tampa games, last night) Jensen has looked especially bad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If that was the case though wouldn’t we expect him to get better not worse. I feel like he is regressing. And in the games that felt most like PO games (pens game, Tampa games, last night) Jensen has looked especially bad.

I am probably not expressing myself correctly. You start out good when are playing by the numbers with the basic coaching and video top of mind. Then when you start play naturally, you make mistakes and regress. Those mistakes burn off and you reach a new level,

Try it this way. His first few games he is looking at the back of his hand. When he starts to play like he knows it, he only checks the back of his hand when he makes a mistake. At some point in the process he is able to play the new system like the he knows it like the back of his hand? Right?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I am probably not expressing myself correctly. You start out good when are playing by the numbers with the basic coaching and video top of mind. Then when you start play naturally, you make mistakes and regress. Those mistakes burn off and you reach a new level,

Try it this way. His first few games he is looking at the back of his hand. When he starts to play like he knows it, he only checks the back of his hand when he makes a mistake. At some point in the process he is able to play the new system like the he knows it like the back of his hand? Right?

Its possible. Its also possible that as teams ramp in their physical play as the Poffs approach, and the games get tougher, he's finding himself just over matched more often than during the doldrums of games in Nov-February. Sure hope thats not the case. If so, then maybe he can take lessons on how to survive being outmuscled by every single opponent, from Djoos :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its possible. Its also possible that as teams ramp in their physical play as the Poffs approach, and the games get tougher, he's finding himself just over matched more often than during the doldrums of games in Nov-February. Sure hope thats not the case. If so, then maybe he can take lessons on how to survive being outmuscled by every single opponent, from Djoos :D

Its not hard to see that the games are getting tighter and to a level I am sure he is not used to. Learning curve. I would suggest its far more likely that Jensen learns from Orpik Carlson and Niskanen before Djoos.

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
I really don’t think Jensen is a significant upgrade from Djoos. Jensen seems to have a real problem with physicality I am scared of how he will perform in playoff hockey.
Interesting observations....Bowey seems to be fitting in with the red wings....last 5 games red wings are 4-1... Bowey averaging 20 minutes TOA.....playing on penalty kill.... steady and more relaxed looking. Change of environment and north/south system must have been what's needed. Detroit boards talking they got a great trade with Bowey becoming trusted and more physical than Jensen..... and a 2nd round pick to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad