Post-Game Talk: The Defending Stanley Cup Champs vs the Defending Stanley Cup Champions....of 06-07

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Eh, I don't think the regular season and the post season have anything in common, but it would be awesome if BOTH happened.

Well, if Ovie is lighting it up then it means the Caps are very likely to make the playoffs. You need to make the playoffs to win the Cup. So, high level play from Ovie = increased chance of winning the Cup.

Reactions: Sam Spade

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Might be just the kick in the ass Ovie needs. To get him over the 50 huno. Send a message by cannjng the coach. Plus, we haven’t won a second Cup yet. What gives, Toddler?

24558800.gif

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Conno in previous years? He doesn't have the puck on his blade long enough to curl. He has added to his game a ton.... the only guy that I see that has added more, is Willy.
It was a slick move but was pretty basic after the defender over committed to cut off the pass.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Well and its becoming more likely that the Canes are the Caps 1st round opponent. Not exactly sending a message, but can't hurt the Caps confidence.

I think it could end up being the Blue Jackets. The Habs have a very tough schedule and Price shat the bed tonight - they are most likely to miss that final wildcard spot.
Columbus and Canes have similar schedules remaining and the Jackets have been playing WAY better. My concern is they are starting to play well with their trade deadline pickups, which makes them dangerous.
Anyway, we don't really have any control over who the Caps meet in the 1st round - so just have to sit back and wait.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was a slick move but was pretty basic after the defender over committed to cut off the pass.

2 years ago? He rarely even carried the puck in, let alone pull a Semin curl. Yeah the D collapsed but he probably though conno would shoot, like I did.

Conno has come a long ways to getting to where he is now. He used to just get in passing lanes, and get ready with his quick release shot. Watching Eller skate circles around the D, waiting and waiting...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Can you imagine BMac having to decide between re-signing Connolly or Burakovsky? That will definitely be his big off season dilemma.
Not really a difficult one IMO. Trade Burakovsky for the best futures or cheap/young NHLer, re-sign Hagelin on the cheap (if possible) and it may also be wise to sell on Stephenson and/or Jaskin if they'd rather put those depth spots to other use.

Solid couple of Ws here. Kind of does seem like Montreal may end up being the odd team out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not really a difficult one IMO. Trade Burakovsky for the best futures or cheap/young NHLer, re-sign Hagelin on the cheap (if possible) and it may also be wise to sell on Stephenson and/or Jaskin if they'd rather put those depth spots to other use.

Solid couple of Ws here. Kind of does seem like Montreal may end up being the odd team out.

You make it sound so easy when GMBM has clearly been reluctant to just cut bait with Burt. How much are you advocating paying Connolly?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Burakovsky has no value anymore, just negotiating rights, and for a player like Burka that is nothing. Having to sign Vrana, who's getting a decent bump, will make keeping Hagelin AND Connolly almost impossible. Even if they do let Burka walk.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
We kinda pounded the Canes down a peg too far. Now a revitalized Bus awaits in R1 methinks. If we do win the Metro and draw The Bus in R1 could it then be said that our regular seasons, this year and last, are identical?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You make it sound so easy when GMBM has clearly been reluctant to just cut bait with Burt. How much are you advocating paying Connolly?
Depends on the cap and if they can manage to get Vrana locked in on a good number. They're going to have to play hardball with Connolly somewhat and if that backfires they'll have to find a solution elsewhere. Burakovsky isn't that guy. Whether he retain some value or not depends on how he finishes IMO but either way I think they could still probably get something useful for him. They've been patient in large part because they have nothing behind him in the system of note and he can still be a depth wildcard. More reliability will be needed, though, and if need be I could see them packaging him along with other assets to address whatever roster issues arise.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Caps have 8,5+3,5(Expected rise). Hopefully Hagelin takes around 2 mill after his weak periods at Pens and Kings this year its a fair contract, but with the play he has showed in Washington will make some team willing to give more. The question is all about Vrana. I guess its time to get him signed long term. Hes not produced as well as Wilson has this year and dont have the overall game Wilson has. Still he produced better than Wilsons last season, but will probably not match Wilsons playoff. Depending on term he should be available between 4-5 as an RFA.

While Connolly I think they can get a cheaper contract the more term he gets. 12 mill is enough to sign those 3 guys, but not enough considering you need a 7th D and 3 more forwards to get to 13. Bura I think is lost and they might get something back if he has a decent playoff. If Caps want all 3 of Vrana, Hagelin and Connolly back they have to trade away something. Only realistic players to trade to get cap are Orlov and Niskanen. Caps have more ready prospects on the left side, but Jensen is better than the 2nd best LD and more ready for a top 4 role. Anyway Caps have a choice to make. Weaken the forward depth or the defence.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Impressions from last night's game.
Reirden must have known I was at the game. Orpik played 20 minutes.
Djoos and Jensen both struggled. Conversely Orlov and Niskanen looked solid.
Wilson, Vrana, Connolly, and Hagelin.
Holtby is locked in.

The Canes fan next to me said. "Cant you guys just let us win one so we can get in the playoffs??

As always the trip to RBC is long, 2 hours one way, but getting in and out is easy and my favorite Lebanese Restaurant/market is right down the street. If the Caps and the Canes go in round 1, I will do all I can to go to any games there are at RBC

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
People who think Jensen is better than Kempny must have their heads buried in sand during games. Jensen isn't a small dude but even Djoos plays more physical than him. Embarrassed again in that Foegele goal where he should have played the body and instead just tried to poke it and let him walk right in. Late in the 3rd he had a terrible turnover which lead to Niederreiter and Aho basically having a 2-on-0 right in front of our net.

Good win. Holtby was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad