The CIS 2013 University Cup

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
They need a new television provider for this tournament. This is a joke. No one cares about tennis outside of majors.

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
Major black mark for Sportsnet. Awful decision. You have 5 channels. Tennis, Skiing, Connected, and Jays up close and CIS basketball on the Score which they also own.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Just got back to Edmonton after spending four days at the tournament. From a media perspective the tournament was very well organized. The best buzz in the building was during the Thursday/Friday afternoon games when they had 4000-5000 kids in the upper bowl.

Best of luck to both UNB and SMU the rest of the way in the final.

I really wish we would have had a chance to see UNB and Alberta go toe to toe but goaltending ended up killing that dream. Keaton Hartigan put together one of the most brilliant performances I've ever witnessed on Thursday afternoon and obviously got a little lucky with 5 or 6 posts, depending on who you ask...including the one with 0.5 seconds left, incredible finish to that game.

The Bears goaltending didn't help things on Friday as Kurtis Mucha allowed 3 goals on 7 shots...St. Mary's had no business being in that game at that point but Mucha let in two absolute stinkers 29 seconds apart. With that being said we really didn't get a good read on SMU with Bloodoff misisng the final 40 minutes....mind you they did have him for the opening 20 minutes and he really didn't do anything.

Overall I'm pretty sure Ian Herbers can't be too pissed at a team that outshot the opposition 83-33 at a National Event. Bears lose Real Cyr (back up) and Greg Gardner (Captain) but outside of that they will likely have almost the same team. With 3 CW teams in the mix next year they will get another crack at a possible battle with UNB.

I really wish we would have been able to witness SMU pull their goalie with a 2-1 lead on Saturday just prove how much of a farce this format is.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
It is a very large venue for this event. They have had at least 4,300 per game, which exceeds the capacity of most CIS arenas.

This arena was built with large events such as the World Juniors and honestly the NHL in mind. The Saskatoon Blades tend to draw this size of a crowd for most of their games. Playoffs they tend to get near 8,000 or so, but regular season around 5,000 is normal.

No matter the arena used in Saskatoon, the event would be odd looking. CUC holds 14,311 and Rutherford Arena holds around 900. Neither are ideal for an event like this. What the CIS needs to do is hold it in arenas that are at least 5,000 seats but no larger than 9,000. But no offense to the UNB fans, the broadcast quality is much better here than last year in Fredericton. NHL style lighting is what is necessary for a good television broadcast.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
This arena was built with large events such as the World Juniors and honestly the NHL in mind. The Saskatoon Blades tend to draw this size of a crowd for most of their games. Playoffs they tend to get near 8,000 or so, but regular season around 5,000 is normal.

No matter the arena used in Saskatoon, the event would be odd looking. CUC holds 14,311 and Rutherford Arena holds around 900. Neither are ideal for an event like this. What the CIS needs to do is hold it in arenas that are at least 5,000 seats but no larger than 9,000. But no offense to the UNB fans, the broadcast quality is much better here than last year in Fredericton. NHL style lighting is what is necessary for a good television broadcast.

Your right Aitken Center in Fredericton has always produced a terrible TV lighting effect

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
But no offense to the UNB fans, the broadcast quality is much better here than last year in Fredericton. NHL style lighting is what is necessary for a good television broadcast.

The TV broadcast (in HD) was amazing - top end all the way. Not sure what Tara' problem was with saying U...Q...T...R, but it was certainly awkward.

Agree - AUC lights are below par. The NCAA teams Foyle and I visited in October had great lighting - this has to be the next upgrade to the AUC.

My only knock against the organizing committee was the streaming quality. The betamax camera they had was not suitable and the camera man was inexperienced (always zooming out). The play-by-play was great by Darren Dupont (darrendupont.com) as well as Darren's post game videos and audio interviews. However, it all looked last minute at times.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
The TV broadcast (in HD) was amazing - top end all the way. Not sure what Jodie's(?) problem was with saying U...Q...T...R, but it was certainly awkward.

Agree - AUC lights are below par. The NCAA teams Foyle and I visited in October had great lighting - this has to be the next upgrade to the AUC.

My only knock against the organizing committee was the streaming quality. The betamax camera they had was not suitable and the camera man was inexperienced (always zooming out). The play-by-play was great by Darren Dupont (darrendupont.com) as well as Darren's post game videos and audio interviews. However, it all looked last minute at times.

Darren Dupont's play calling was fantastic.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Final

I thought Carroll should have got the gate, looked like a head shot and for a man the size of Wallingford to o down and out? There also looked to be a hit to the head on Daine Todd in period 3 , the Huskie player appeared to leave his feet. UNB was lucky that Carroll's was not an ejection! There is a big gap between the AUS and CIS rule book. As for Walligford, It's not the way a 5th year player, playing in his last game, in a national championship deserved. I will give him a lot of credit for changing his game from earlier AUS days and becoming the leader that he was for a young SMU team. Wallingford would be a great addition to any ECHL team, for sure.
We go back to earlier comments, in game one with Alberta, that the Huskies were being badly outplayed in the first period, but if Alberta were to get a steady diet of SMU, the Huskies would adapt. They adapt for UNB, which is similar to Alberta, but is more physical. The coach does a fantastic job of shutting down a high powered offence, unlike UQTR did on Saturday.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The Vreds shutout the Huskies in three of their last four meetings. SMU was really pressing hard for a goal from the 10 minute mark of the second onward. They knew they just couldn't sit back. Unfortunately for them their power play looked pretty inept. No Wallingford and an injured Bloodoff made things more difficult.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
I'm not a Vred fan but I will grudgingly offer them a congratulations on a job well done!

In the words of a couple typical maritimers :"THAT SHOW SUCKS, give me the GD clickerbox" - Ma or Eddie Reardon.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The TV broadcast (in HD) was amazing - top end all the way. Not sure what Tara' problem was with saying U...Q...T...R, but it was certainly awkward.

True the streaming could be better. Granted, the person doing it is likely used to Rutherford Arena and the PAC at the U of S. In both cases you aren't that far removed from the action. The company used is the same as the streaming for canadawest.tv. I appreciate being able to see road games (and the home games I cannot get to), but they aren't top notch. Next year, if the organizing committee has the cash to do it, they should hire the Shaw technical crews that do the Canada West Football Game of the Week.

My other problem with the streaming is that they omitted the intermissions. Now granted, I only watched the two Huskies games through the streaming, but both games went silent instead of carrying the CJWW intermission. I muted the streams and listened to CJWW's stream.

I felt bad for the people listening on the radio as they would go to commercial, but play didn't stop. They need to follow the WHL timing format with breaks for radio coverage. If the game isn't on the radio or TV, then no breaks are needed.

Darren Dupont was good, but I would have preferred Les Lazaruk doing the games. Obviously, with the schedule coinciding with Blades road games this was impossible, but I found Darren Dupont wasn't as excited as Les gets. That said, considering I thought of his play by play as the Huskies' radio broadcast as opposed to an objective "national" broadcast, he can't be a Huskies cheerleader the whole way through.

I see in this morning's Star-Phoenix the organizing committee tried to get the format changed to a longer tournament (timewise) and true semi-finals and the CIS said no. It looked like the organizing committee wanted to have a Memorial Cup style tournament where the schedule is known beforehand. I understand the whole business of preserving the education of the players. But I have a suspicion that only the U of S Huskies went to class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, the other teams were all in Saskatoon that whole time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad