The CIS 2013 University Cup

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I agree that we should move past the Bloodoff - Critchlow comparisons. For the record, while I thought in the first game Lucas should have got maximum 2 and 10 and Marchand should have got the 5-minute major, in the second game Bloodoff's hit looked more deserving of the five. I'm not comfortable saying Bloodoff is head-hunting. as it looks more like a big man going for a big hit and catching his opponent too high. Marchand on the other hand, skated in quite a ways to target his victim and it was a reckless hit.

In the black humour of dead-pools, a number of us here in Saskatoon are speculating what period Bloodoff gets tossed in the UNB game to keep the string going. :p:

One of the takeaways from this is that the CIS needs, this summer, to ensure that all of their hockey regulations are in step with the conferences (which is a bit difficult as they don't all have completely duplicate rules). They've been caught out in this case with gaps in their rules for suspensions, and Bloodoff and the Huskies have been the fortunate beneficiaries of one of those gaps.

Back home, Phil Currie and the AUS could benefit from being more transparent on their methodology for choosing to set suspensions for head shots, and their length. Where does a number like 8 games come from, as there is no precedent? Same for 5 games, when there is no penalty on the call. And in that case, how can the AUS be justified in handing out 5 games when the four officials on the ice didn't feel a hit justified a penalty. Do AUS officials need to be re-educated on head shots (although they did call a match at the time on Wilgosh) or do the non-hockey people in the AUS making the calls on suspensions need to better respect calls and non-calls of officials (not that I'm advocating that the zebras always get it right, as was the case with the non-call on the career-ending hit Acadia's Jenner put on UNB's Procyshen a couple of years ago).

Last edited:

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
I agree that we should move past the Bloodoff - Critchlow comparisons. For the record, while I thought in the first game Lucas should have got maximum 2 and 10 and Marchand should have got the 5-minute major, in the second game Bloodoff's hit looked more deserving of the five. I'm not comfortable saying Bloodoff is head-hunting. as it looks more like a big man going for a big hit and catching his opponent too high. Marchand on the other hand, skated in quite a ways to target his victim and it was a reckless hit.

In the black humour of dead-pools, a number of us here in Saskatoon are speculating what period Bloodoff gets tossed in the UNB game to keep the string going. :p:

One of the takeaways from this is that the CIS needs, this summer, to ensure that all of their hockey regulations are in step with the conferences (which is a bit difficult as they don't all have completely duplicate rules). They've been caught out in this case with gaps in their rules for suspensions, and Bloodoff and the Huskies have been the fortunate beneficiaries of one of those gaps.

Back home, Phil Currie and the AUS could benefit from being more transparent on their methodology for choosing to set suspensions for head shots, and their length. Where does a number like 8 games come from, as there is no precedent? Same for 5 games, when there is no penalty on the call. And in that case, how can the AUS be justified in handing out 5 games when the four officials on the ice didn't feel a hit justified a penalty. Do AUS officials need to be re-educated on head shots (although they did call a match at the time on Wilgosh) or do the non-hockey people in the AUS making the calls on suspensions need to better respect calls and non-calls of officials (not that I'm advocating that the zebras always get it right, as was the case with the non-call on the career-ending hit Acadia's Jenner put on UNB's Procyshen a couple of years ago).

I don't have problem with someone getting suspended for a play for which there is no penalty. Referees are going to miss stuff on occasion, it happens. Does the CIS not have a committee set up to deal with suspensions for the nationals? If they don't that is incredible. You don't need an automatic suspension rule in place to suspend someone. They just need to issue suspensions with some consistency and here they clearly have not. If nothing else Bloodoff will have to tone his game back tonight because the referees will be keeping him with a close eye.

Will there be any talk of changing the tournament format after what occurred this year? Had SMU been leading 2-1 late in the 3rd they would have been in a position where they would either of had to score a goal or allow a goal to stay alive. As entertaining as that would have been that can't happen. Maybe go to 8 teams and 2 pools of 4 and have actually semi-finals. Start on a Saturday and have Semi-Finals the following Saturday and the final on Sunday. Give each conference 2 bids plus the host and a rotating wild card.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I don't have problem with someone getting suspended for a play for which there is no penalty. Referees are going to miss stuff on occasion, it happens. Does the CIS not have a committee set up to deal with suspensions for the nationals? If they don't that is incredible. You don't need an automatic suspension rule in place to suspend someone. They just need to issue suspensions with some consistency and here they clearly have not. If nothing else Bloodoff will have to tone his game back tonight because the referees will be keeping him with a close eye.

Will there be any talk of changing the tournament format after what occurred this year? Had SMU been leading 2-1 late in the 3rd they would have been in a position where they would either of had to score a goal or allow a goal to stay alive. As entertaining as that would have been that can't happen. Maybe go to 8 teams and 2 pools of 4 and have actually semi-finals. Start on a Saturday and have Semi-Finals the following Saturday and the final on Sunday. Give each conference 2 bids plus the host and a rotating wild card.

Changes for next year would be doubtful its something that would need a lot of thought and approval, their is flaws right now for sure when teams finish 1-1 but when teams go 2-0 its the perfect system, 6 teams in actuality is best for CIS Hockey, you get the 4 Conference Champions, 1 wild card to another good team, and a crucial host birth.

4 Teams although the most pure format with the 4 Conference Division Champions, can't work cause for the tournament to be successful you need a Host Team, the Toronto Varsity Arena and Maple Leaf Gardens Experiment proved that.

8 Teams is simply too much, 4 Champs (good), 1 Host (Good), 3 Wild Card spots (Bad!!!) awarding the runner-up in every conference every year a spot and in some cases the 3rd best team if the host team is 1 or 2 completely eliminates the Importance and intensity of the Conference championships on a permanent basis.

Bottom line is a longer tournament like one extra game true semifinals would be the best solutions in the current format, crossovers 1A vs 2B, 1B vs 2A to be the most fair to everyone but with Student Athletes their is no possible way to extend the tournament that long. Right now teams are arriving on Mondays and Tuesdays an extra game would require 2 more days.

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
Changes for next year would be doubtful its something that would need a lot of thought and approval, their is flaws right now for sure when teams finish 1-1 but when teams go 2-0 its the perfect system, 6 teams in actuality is best for CIS Hockey, you get the 4 Conference Champions, 1 wild card to another good team, and a crucial host birth.

4 Teams although the most pure format with the 4 Conference Division Champions, can't work cause for the tournament to be successful you need a Host Team, the Toronto Varsity Arena and Maple Leaf Gardens Experiment proved that.

8 Teams is simply too much, 4 Champs (good), 1 Host (Good), 3 Wild Card spots (Bad!!!) awarding the runner-up in every conference every year a spot and in some cases the 3rd best team if the host team is 1 or 2 completely eliminates the Importance and intensity of the Conference championships on a permanent basis.

Bottom line is a longer tournament like one extra game true semifinals would be the best solutions in the current format, crossovers 1A vs 2B, 1B vs 2A to be the most fair to everyone but with Student Athletes their is no possible way to extend the tournament that long. Right now teams are arriving on Mondays and Tuesdays an extra game would require 2 more days.

I don't really buy the student athlete argument. Teams like UNB can spend a week out west playing exhibition games, but they can't spend a week somewhere at the Nationals. We here this from the NCAA and then they go and expand the season from 11 to 12 games, add more conference title games, and now a playoff. Cross overs in a 6 team tournament don't help with all the weird tie breaking issues, they only devalue the round robin. With 8 teams you also are likely keeping the host time alive longer ensuring better attendance.

You could stay at 6 teams and scrap the divisions and have each team play 3 games and then have semi-finals. 1,2 and 3 all play 4, 5 and 6. 5 days, 6 if you have an off day.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: All AUS Final and Alberta

First off the AUS fans should be applauded for not going on about the strength of the Atlantic Conference despite today's UNB-SMU Final.
UNB clearly was the best team in their pool.
However, it would've been nice to see a healthy UQTR team.
UQTR was FAR more physical than I ever remember them and that includes going all the way back to ther 1986 University Cup Final at the Northlands Agricom in Edmonton.
Saskatchewan took a risk and lost and that combined with the brutal weather out west killed all momentum in the Tournament.
Next year the Huskies HAVE to play Friday and Saturday night to maximize the gate and roll the dice that they can play 3 in 3.
UNB was who we thought they were. A damn good team that is experienced with a program that knows how to win.
As for the other pool:
I think even the most jaded pro-AUS voice knows that Saint Mary's is lucky to have advanced.
Alberta blew it in the opening game! No other way to say it.
For those of you who want to bring up the past Golden Bears losses including back in '03 to St. FX and '08 in Moncton in the opening games their is a difference here.
St. FX belonged on the ice with the Bears, so too did Moncton. Those were relatively close games that the AUS schools squeaked out in OT in games played in the Atlantic.
Waterloo wasn't even in the same League as the Bears on Thursday and Alberta should have won that game 5-2 or 6-2.
The Bears also dominated the game against Saint Mary's. They were all over them. And SMU was lucky to have forced OT. Heck it could have been 3-0 after 10 minutes.
If your team outshoots the opposition 83-33 over two games it probably says alot about the team you have. And that frankly you should be playing on Sunday at the University Cup.
I can tell you the Golden Bears will make a concerted effort to vastly improve their Non-Conference schedule. They will be going to Lakehead during a Canada West bye week in the fall next season.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alberta schedule a Christmas series with an AUS power each year.
But for today Alberta will be bussing home from 'Toon Town wondering how they didn't make it thru the easiest draw they have had in years...and tonight they will watch UNB claim their 4th title in seven years!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

But that's the thing that doesn't make sense to me...UNB (and most of the other teams as well, I believe) have been out there since Monday so they have missed a whole week of school...why can't they go out on Friday or Saturday instead? You get out there a couple days earlier but aren't missing anymore school than you are now. You can do the banquet Monday night and start games on Tuesday. You have 6 days to play a max of 4 games (2 round robin, 1 semi, 1 final).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I can tell you the Golden Bears will make a concerted effort to vastly improve their Non-Conference schedule. They will be going to Lakehead during a Canada West bye week in the fall next season.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alberta schedule a Christmas series with an AUS power each year.

I always wondered why Alberta resorted to playing a bunch of college teams this year...just the convenience of having them nearby? I can't imagine playing and beating up those teams really helped them too much.

I would love to see them come out east to play UNB a couple times, kind of pay back for the trip UNB made out west a few years back.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't think SMU is getting enough credit from announcers or hockey guys on here that haven't seen them play much, they are judging the Huskies by their First Period against Alberta which was not good, its how they played without Lucas Bloodoff in both games how the Huskies really are, add Lucas in and they are dangerous and no one plays the Varsity Reds as Tough as St Mary's does, and this has been the case since 2007-08.

I agree with this 100%...I actually thought SMU would take a step back this year after losing Fergus and having, what to me at the time, looked like a below-average recruiting class. Big credit goes out to them and Stienberg...I never would have predicted they even would have made Nationals, let alone having a great chance to win the whole thing.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Smu

I think that they got caught watching an Alberta team who was extremely desperate, after being upset by Waterloo. After that first period, in which they could have been in a hole, they played toe to toe with the Bears. The travel and the fact that SMU hadn't played in over a week, may explain the slow start.
The shot clock was double for Alberta, but how many times have we seen UNB outshoot the Huskies and the score is always close. They are physical,have great man on man coverage in the defensive zone and do a great job of forcing puck carriers to the outside. Many of the shots that they surrender, are from perimeter.
They have scoring skill and take advantage of their chances. They deserve to be there!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Smu

This team is also young, loaded with second year players and graduating very few. Only Wallinford is in his fifth year. They will be good again next year.
UNB, lost a ton of players last year, including Harty, Stamler and Gallant from the backend. That's 3 of the best d-men in the country. Bailey, Clendenning, Wiebe and wudrick up front have moved on. Macdougal hasn't been given enough credit for the rebuild of this team in 2012-13, as was mentioned in the Daily Gleaner earlier this week.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Final

Does SMU have the advantage, as they have had 6-10 hrs extra rest?
History shows that it is usually the afternoon pool who has the most success on Sunday.
On the other hand, it is 3 games on 3 days, where the V-Reds played late last night ,but didn't play on Friday.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
History shows that it is usually the afternoon pool who has the most success on Sunday.
On the other hand, it is 3 games on 3 days, where the V-Reds played late last night ,but didn't play on Friday.

Might be a factor if the game goes into overtime.

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013

I'd rather be the team playing the night before rather than playing 3 in 3 days. Teams are used to playing back to back games, but playing 3 in a row when your opponent is only playing back to back is entirely different. UQTR faded last night as the game went on as did Saskatchewan Friday, all though Alberta didn't fade Friday. Waterloo was dominated in both games they played.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I agree with Bob, the Golden Bears has no puck luck at all. But, and it is a big but, they could have helped their cause against Hartigan and the Warriors if they had created more traffic in the blue paint and tried for some uglier goals - like Saint Mary's did. As Bob has suggested before, the Bears could stand to get a little bit greasy and get their noses dirty.

SMU doesn't care about the shot clock. They proved that in games against UNB this season. With Peters in net, they can be over-aggressive on the forecheck and look for their scoring opportunities. UNB will have to bring their A+ game to beat the Huskies tonight.

Three days in three games may prove to be a detriment to the Huskies at the game plays out, but hey, the CIS player of the year is certainly well rested (if banged up).

As for UQTR, I too wish they had been healthy so we don't have to put an asterisk by the game, but if UNB played the second and third periods with the same determination as last night I still think UQTR would have lost, but with a smaller margin.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

This idea I like - cross over would be a way of having a second chance in the event you are in a 'pool of death'. Using this years teams.

Tue (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs USK)
Wed (SMU vs UoA) & (USK vs UQT)
Thu. (WAT vs SMU) & (UQT vs UNB)
Fri - off
Sat (#2 UQT vs #1 SMU) & (#2 UoA vs #1 UNB)
Sun Gold

Observations
- definatley would have liked to seen that Sat matchup
- UoA gets 2 days of rest (Thu/Fri), a result of their upset
- no Friday game
- host has to play mid week (at best Wed/Thu)
- no way to be sure which Sat game the host would be in - if any

So, it's a better format but doesn't lend itself to being 'host' friendly and starts 2 days earlier (on days the tournament doesn't really use). Lets be realistic here - they have to make some money (playing on Fri/Sat) otherwise there is no incentive to be host and we fall back to the CIS hosting which isn't a good idea.

As an alternative - 5-team round robin on the same days

1-UoA, 2-UNB, 3-UQT, 4-WAT, 5-USK

Tue - (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs UQT) - USK has bye
Wed - (UQT vs UoA) & (WAT vs USK) - UNB has bye
Thu - (USK vs UQT) & (UoA vs UNB) - WAT has bye
Fri - (UNB vs USK) & (UQT vs WAT) - UoA has bye
Sat - (WAT vs UNB) & (USK vs UoA) - UQT has bye
Sun Gold

The problem is the 'byes' aren't enough rest - there needs to be a day off between round robin and gold. This format has UNB playing 4 games in a row to win gold.

Sun - (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs UQT) - USK has bye
Mon - (UQT vs UoA) & (WAT vs USK) - UNB has bye
Tue
Wed - (USK vs UQT) & (UoA vs UNB) - WAT has bye
Thu - (UNB vs USK) & (UQT vs WAT) - UoA has bye
Fri - off
Sun Gold

You can schedule the host for Thu & Sat as you know the times but the games could be moot by the time the tournament gets to playing them. Not a fan of flip flop from afternoon to night & the tournament takes a full week (bigger expense on teams for hotels, food and parents traveling).

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I agree with Bob as well, for the most part. And as Foyle said, UofA would be better served by going into the dirty areas. But, it is what it is and they didn't get it done against WLU and SMU. As far as tonight's game goes, UNB should be more rested than SMU and that may be a factor. But, it's 1 game and anything can happen. If laCosta lets in a few weak ones like he did last night that may be the difference.
I don't see any surprises; both teams have played each other enough and know what to expect. However it goes I hope it's a well played, entertaining game. I deserve at least that after freezing my ass off out here.

Play On

Mar 13, 2012
K so can anyone fill me in on what happened in the UNB and UQTR last night!? I watched the first period (3-3) and had to go to a prior arrangement. Upon coming home, I went into shock seeing the 8-3 final! UNB is definitely a stronger team, but I didn't think it was going to be so lopsided. The only way UQTR had a chance at winning last night was if they got into a shootout with UNB as they usually have quite good finish which was the case in the first period. I guess UNB just physically dominated them the rest of the game and UQTR didn't touch the puck?

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
This idea I like - cross over would be a way of having a second chance in the event you are in a 'pool of death'. Using this years teams.

Tue (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs USK)
Wed (SMU vs UoA) & (USK vs UQT)
Thu. (WAT vs SMU) & (UQT vs UNB)
Fri - off
Sat (#2 UQT vs #1 SMU) & (#2 UoA vs #1 UNB)
Sun Gold

Observations
- definatley would have liked to seen that Sat matchup
- UoA gets 2 days of rest (Thu/Fri), a result of their upset
- no Friday game
- host has to play mid week (at best Wed/Thu)
- no way to be sure which Sat game the host would be in - if any

So, it's a better format but doesn't lend itself to being 'host' friendly and starts 2 days earlier (on days the tournament doesn't really use). Lets be realistic here - they have to make some money (playing on Fri/Sat) otherwise there is no incentive to be host and we fall back to the CIS hosting which isn't a good idea.

As an alternative - 5-team round robin on the same days

1-UoA, 2-UNB, 3-UQT, 4-WAT, 5-USK

Tue - (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs UQT) - USK has bye
Wed - (UQT vs UoA) & (WAT vs USK) - UNB has bye
Thu - (USK vs UQT) & (UoA vs UNB) - WAT has bye
Fri - (UNB vs USK) & (UQT vs WAT) - UoA has bye
Sun Gold

The problem is the 'byes' aren't enough rest - there needs to be a day off between round robin and gold. This format has UNB playing 4 games in a row to win gold.

Sun - (UoA vs WAT) & (UNB vs UQT) - USK has bye
Mon - (UQT vs UoA) & (WAT vs USK) - UNB has bye
Tue
Wed - (USK vs UQT) & (UoA vs UNB) - WAT has bye
Thu - (UNB vs USK) & (UQT vs WAT) - UoA has bye
Fri - off
Sun Gold

You can schedule the host for Thu & Sat as you know the times but the games could be moot by the time the tournament gets to playing them. Not a fan of flip flop from afternoon to night & the tournament takes a full week (bigger expense on teams for hotels, food and parents traveling).

With the 5 team format you likely end up with games that mean nothing unless you add a semi-final.

Staying at 6 teams and playing 3 games in the preliminary round and adding semi-finals is probably the simplest option. If you add semi-finals and only play 2 games you risk ending up crazy scenarios like yesterday. It also decreased the reward for winning the group. If one of the opening games has a large spread that team's second game may not mean much at all.

Or you stay at 2 games and send the winner of each pool directly to the semi-finals and have quarterfinals. You still have the tie-breaker problem, but there is still a big reward for winning the group.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

Yes & No.

6 teams have won gold by playing 3-in-a-row. Of those teams, 4 came from the afternoon pool (4/15) including SMU-2010.

1-&-2 games played have won 8 titles, but only 2 of these have come from the night pool (2/15).

So - this would imply that SMU has the upper hand, however, the two teams to go 1-&-2 from the night pool to win gold were UNB-2009 and UNB-2011. In 2009 the gold game was at 3:30pm local time - they get 2 extra hours this year.

UNB has 3 players from 2009 & 2011 and 7 players from 2011 playing this year and one from 2010-SMU (Colby Pridham)

SMU has 4 from their 2010 gold (from what I can determine)

Despite the historical results leaning in SMU's favour - UNB improves their chances with recent results and more experience (plus Thu/Sat/Sun really isn't different from Wed/Fri/Sat which AUS teams do throughout the season).

Should be a good game - go reds.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
K so can anyone fill me in on what happened in the UNB and UQTR last night!? I watched the first period (3-3) and had to go to a prior arrangement. Upon coming home, I went into shock seeing the 8-3 final! UNB is definitely a stronger team, but I didn't think it was going to be so lopsided. The only way UQTR had a chance at winning last night was if they got into a shootout with UNB as they usually have quite good finish which was the case in the first period. I guess UNB just physically dominated them the rest of the game and UQTR didn't touch the puck?

UQTR's top two D'Men were sick and played sparingly. UNB was on their forecheck game all night and won the battles getting 51 shots and 2 goals in the 2nd and 3 more in the 3rd. UQTR had no gas left in the tank in the 3rd which is what happens when you play D most of your shift and once you get the puck have to cross the red line and shoot it in for the change (which gives UNB a fresh start at a new rush, again, again, again...).

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

In the second and third periods UNB switched to a dominating and punishing cycle. Some of their best hockey of the season. At one point they had a continuous cycle that had a UQTR line trapped in their own zone for 1:59 (Sportsnet had someone in their truck time it).

There's a flu bug, or some bug, going through the UQTR team, so they weren't at 100%, and UNB just wore them out.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Alberta - They were the stronger team in that Pool, unfortunately only the ending results will be remembered. When UNB was swept and upset by St FX in the 2010 Playoffs no one remembered how UNB terribly outshot X Including one game 34-6 but still lost. The Loss to Waterloo was a Freak Incident much the same.

St Mary's - 50/50 chance on winning tonight. They play UNB tough. I don't think the first period vs Alberta is a result that would happen often, I think SMU was rusty and Alberta was Desperate, I presume SMU also prepared for Alberta like they would play versus UNB, it didn't work and they had to adjust, Lucas Bloodoff would have made a difference.

UQTR - Theirs alot of talk about a couple of guys having the FLU bug, but how often do teams play without their full lineup, UNB has Critchelow up in the Stands, had their leading goal scorer Carroll out for the majority of the second period. SMU played without CIS player of the year Lucas Bloodoff for the majority of both of their games (and hopefully a third as well), you never hear coaches use that in a post game interview I was a bit surprised by that.

Waterloo - Was what I expected, they didn't have much for offensive attack they played with a hope and a prayer, they got their prayers answered vs Alberta in a very lucky win, I disagree with BOB that the bears should have won 5-2 or 6-2 that game should have been 7-1 or 9-1, bears with 5 posts alone.

Saskatchewan - While they are obviously a decent team, they simply don't have enough, I find they were comparable to UPEI

Play On

Mar 13, 2012
In the second and third periods UNB switched to a dominating and punishing cycle. Some of their best hockey of the season. At one point they had a continuous cycle that had a UQTR line trapped in their own zone for 1:59 (Sportsnet had someone in their truck time it).

There's a flu bug, or some bug, going through the UQTR team, so they weren't at 100%, and UNB just wore them out.

UQTR's top two D'Men were sick and played sparingly. UNB was on their forecheck game all night and won the battles getting 51 shots and 2 goals in the 2nd and 3 more in the 3rd. UQTR had no gas left in the tank in the 3rd which is what happens when you play D most of your shift and once you get the puck have to cross the red line and shoot it in for the change (which gives UNB a fresh start at a new rush, again, again, again...).

Thanks guys! Ya I was wondering why I didn't see Robichaud or Lessard out there. Nonetheless, the final should be a good game!

Play On

Mar 13, 2012
Alberta - They were the stronger team in that Pool, unfortunately only the ending results will be remembered. When UNB was swept and upset by St FX in the 2010 Playoffs no one remembered how UNB terribly outshot X Including one game 34-6 but still lost. The Loss to Waterloo was a Freak Incident much the same.

St Mary's - 50/50 chance on winning tonight. They play UNB tough. I don't think the first period vs Alberta is a result that would happen often, I think SMU was rusty and Alberta was Desperate, I presume SMU also prepared for Alberta like they would play versus UNB, it didn't work and they had to adjust, Lucas Bloodoff would have made a difference.

UQTR - Theirs alot of talk about a couple of guys having the FLU bug, but how often do teams play without their full lineup, UNB has Critchelow up in the Stands, had their leading goal scorer Carroll out for the majority of the second period. SMU played without CIS player of the year Lucas Bloodoff for the majority of both of their games (and hopefully a third as well), you never hear coaches use that in a post game interview I was a bit surprised by that.

Waterloo - Was what I expected, they didn't have much for offensive attack they played with a hope and a prayer, they got their prayers answered vs Alberta in a very lucky win, I disagree with BOB that the bears should have won 5-2 or 6-2 that game should have been 7-1 or 9-1, bears with 5 posts alone.

Saskatchewan - While they are obviously a decent team, they simply don't have enough, I find they were comparable to UPEI

I agree with most points. Waterloo - Alberta game was a fluke but those things do happen in a one game format. Ya it was tough that UQTR was flu-ridden, but they would of had their hands full regardless playing UNB. I think the only advantage that UQTR would have over UNB is their skill level, but in all other categories, UNB is ahead IMO.

My rankings on the teams (assuming all teams are healthy) are as follows:

1. UNB
2. Alberta
3/4. SMU and UQTR (tie) Would have loved to see this match up in the tournament.
5. Saskatchewan
6. Waterloo

I'm not sure about the exact score, but I think that UNB will win tonight by a margin of 2 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad