The CIS 2013 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yes, that's just what the AUS needs: UNB to have a Perfect Recruiting Tool for the forseeable future. Their success in recent years is due in part to having hosted twice in a 10 year span, as well as having 2 more years when UdeM hosted, with 3 AUS teams going one time.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yes, that's just what the AUS needs: UNB to have a Perfect Recruiting Tool for the forseeable future. Their success in recent years is due in part to having hosted twice in a 10 year span, as well as having 2 more years when UdeM hosted, with 3 AUS teams going one time.

C'mon, you know what's good for UNB is good for the AUS!

;)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Article from the Chronicle Herald:

It’s no secret why the University Cup has never been contested in Halifax. For about 25 years, this was CIS Final 8 basketball tournament territory. That was great for Halifax, Atlantic University Sport and basketball fans. But it also meant Halifax wasn’t going to get the University Cup at the same time. Two of the three highest-profile national university championships simply weren’t going to the same city.

Dalhousie made unsuccessful bids to host the hockey nationals for the 2011-12 and 2013-14 contracts, but it’s hard to see Dal also making a bid for 2015-16. The Tigers have been hurting on the ice, and the internal problems in their program in the past few months, with the program being under CIS investigation, don’t help the cause.

The AUS has also stepped back from hosting large-scale national tournaments because of the investment risk involved. It has been putting more emphasis and investment into its own regional events instead of the nationals, and that’s an understandable decision the AUS appears comfortable with.

Certainly, AUS expertise would be available to any potential local host, and that would be of considerable value. But don’t expect the AUS to lead the charge to bring the University Cup here.

That leaves Saint Mary’s as the most logical choice to chase a University Cup tournament for Halifax. The Huskies are strong national contenders every year, and Saint Mary’s could pull in partners such as the Metro Centre, Halifax Regional Municipality and even the AUS, in a reduced role, to help cover the costs and lessen the financial risk.

Actually, I don’t believe the University Cup would be an investment gamble in this market. I’d be surprised if the all-time attendance mark weren’t busted at a Metro Centre tournament. Despite generally weak regular-season AUHC support here, Halifax hockey fans love the big event, and with the strong pre-sale history in this market, would guarantee this would be a highly profitable tournament.

The bottom line is that the Final 8 is gone from this market, at least for the foreseeable future. The next best available option, as a big-ticket spring sporting event, is the University Cup.

The best championship market in all of CIS sports deserves at least one of the two highest-profile winter tournaments. Hopefully, Saint Mary’s will step up in an effort to make that happen.

Full Article

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Halifax would indeed be a great place to host. Lots of hotels and pubs handy the Metro Center. I recall the hugh crowds downtown during the WJC, World Championship, Woman's Worlds, Briers, etc. Lots of places to go. I would think that the AUS would not contribute much in the way of support. If it did happen SMU would have to do the bulk of the work (which they can't do). They would have to get the services of Chris Larsen who was part of the WJC, Bluenose Marathon, beach vollyball, etc.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Halifax would indeed be a great place to host. Lots of hotels and pubs handy the Metro Center. I recall the hugh crowds downtown during the WJC, World Championship, Woman's Worlds, Briers, etc. Lots of places to go. I would think that the AUS would not contribute much in the way of support. If it did happen SMU would have to do the bulk of the work (which they can't do). They would have to get the services of Chris Larsen who was part of the WJC, Bluenose Marathon, beach vollyball, etc.
Another issue is that SMU and Dalhousie are in plans to possibly build an arena that they would share. 1,500 seats?
That's talk, but I don't know if the money is there to go after the University Cup.
UNB was successful not only at the gate, but they own the venue and all of the concessions that go along with it. That's a big advantage.
Doesn't the city of Halifax get the gate money from the SMU/Dal games?
It's easy to talk about cities to host, but it's apparent that funding is the issue. With UNB, hockey is the top dog at the school and the city, not football or Basketball.
Yes, SMU would have to get the corporate backing to go after it and maybe they could?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

When Dal bid did that include the Metro Center?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I would think 100% that Dal bid included the Metro Center. At the time they had something like 4000 people deposit $100 for a tournament pass. This was 2 years before the event.
I fully believe that the event would be a success in Halifax; it just takes someone to get the ball rolling.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
reposted from Manitoba Bisons/CIS thread

It's a shame that the AUS doesn't go out of their way to further promote the AUS hockey brand by hosting Nationals because of its great success at the national level over the years.
It's surprising that Mr. Steinburg can't get Mr. Currie onboard about Halifax putting in a bid?

gleanerguy

Nov 27, 2009
It's Moosehead country. My understanding is the universities basically concede the hockey market to the Mooseheads.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
It's Moosehead country. My understanding is the universities basically concede the hockey market to the Mooseheads.
Where is the CIS hockey market?
Major Junior trumpets education and players in CIS but markets future NHL stars.
Freddy is the only market I can think of where the uni owns the major hockey venue in town
Right or wrong CIS hockey is low on most Canadian's radar no matter the town. Freddy being an exception ....maybe Thunder Bay....but LU doesn't own the rink
UNB os in a unique or maybe isolated position whers the V-Reds are the major hockey team in town and own the largest arena in town

Last edited:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Not sure why we are talking like halifax will likely not get the CIS Hockey Championship, it's most likely to happen as the next Atlantic Host. Just because Halifax is a Major junior First Town doesn't mean the University Cup is not allowed. Dal put in a very good bid, and St mary's has alot more going for them in mens hockey than they do, Moncton was a Major Junior Town First and they did extremely well, and just this past week Saskatoon did the same as they have in the past. The Blades are the team in town and the Huskies have nothing to do with the credit Union Center, their no reason to think Halifax would be any different in fact Halifax in not only a larger city but has shown much more support for the Huskies in Halifax than the Huskies in Saskatoon get.

For me it's a no brainer bring it to halifax, a great venue, a great university, a current hockey power, with a passionate Coach who gives a damn year in and year out. They would average minimum 5,000 / game with the fans actually being in the stands unlike saskatoon last week

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For me it's a no brainer bring it to halifax, a great venue, a great university, a current hockey power, with a passionate Coach who gives a damn year in and year out. They would average minimum 5,000 / game with the fans actually being in the stands unlike saskatoon last week

Agreed, you would definitely get a ton of fans for the SMU games not to mention the fact that Halifax is so central and all of the AUS teams are reasonably close together I bet you would see a lot of fans from the other AUS team make the trek whether it be UNB, Acadia, X, UPEI, etc..

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Yes, most agree that it would generate fan interest in Halifax, but it will be up to the University to bid. Funding people, it cost a lot of $$$$. I believe it was $100.000 range to host in Freddy and they own the facility.
UPEI/Charlottetown has Bill Shurman, who has a knack of bringing in National tournaments ( Royal Bank Cup) in Summerside a few years back and they are hosting again in 2013.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a bid from the Island.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB os in a unique or maybe isolated position whers the V-Reds are the major hockey team in town and own the largest arena in town

Market aside - the UBC Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre is probably the best university owned facility in the country for hockey. The main rink sites 5K and has two other arena's attached.

Unfortunately, the market would be tough with the Canucks and the Giants. The timezone would be killer for TV and UBC is not a competitive program so they would be killed in the round robin.

Other good markets that have no teams; Sydney, St. John's, Quebec City, Sudbury, Sherbrooke, Hamilton or markets with weak teams; Lethbridge, Regina & Queen's.

Markets I like; Nipissing (North Bay), UPEI (Charlottetown), Dal/SMU (Halifax), Manitoba (Winnipeg), Ottawa/Carleton (Ottawa).

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Market aside - the UBC Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre is probably the best university owned facility in the country for hockey. The main rink sites 5K and has two other arena's attached.

Unfortunately, the market would be tough with the Canucks and the Giants. The timezone would be killer for TV and UBC is not a competitive program so they would be killed in the round robin.

Other good markets that have no teams; Sydney, St. John's, Quebec City, Sudbury, Sherbrooke, Hamilton or markets with weak teams; Lethbridge, Regina & Queen's.

Markets I like; Nipissing (North Bay), UPEI (Charlottetown), Dal/SMU (Halifax), Manitoba (Winnipeg), Ottawa/Carleton (Ottawa).
Yeah...but all those cities have Major Jr or AHL teams,including North Bay as of next season, UNB has no such competition for fan $ except STU.
Only UQTR and LU are in a similar position to UNB but they don't own the rink
I should add that others like Acadia and St FX that enjoy good fan support simply don't have have a venue for hosting a Uni Cup

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Doesn't the U of A own the Claire Drake Arena? It's all bench seating and capacity is 3,009.
The last time hosting, they used Rexall Center, but know they competition with the WHL (Oil Kings) and of coarse, the Oilers. Hosting would be a big gamble there now?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Unb

Speaking to some people who worked the last hosting. The university wouldn't be in a rush to bid on Nationals again anytime soon. It takes a ton of work with countless volunteers and $$$$$, but they have done a great job and have learned and improved from experience. they had great crowds all 4 years and gave that all important, positive student experience.
With UNB, they have made many upgrades to the AUC from hosting in 2003-4. The ice surface (piping, floor) has been completely rebuilt. New boards, Center ice clock , press box expansion and corporate boxes. Capacity has been reduced by a couple hundred seats, but I have been told that for the U Cup final in 2004 and 2011 ,there were 4,000 plus in the building, just don't tell the fire Marshall. if the CIS doesn't get the interest needed from favourable bids, UNB could do it again on short notice, but they aren't perusing it from what I hear, at all.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The problem with hosting is that the CIS wants so much money from the host, for just being the CIS. They lend their name to the thing and provide some expertise, but it is left to the host committee to find the sponsors to pony up the money. That is why the AUS got out of the CIS B-Ball; it was getting too expensive because of the CIS guarentees.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI/Charlottetown has Bill Shurman, who has a knack of bringing in National tournaments ( Royal Bank Cup) in Summerside a few years back and they are hosting again in 2013.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a bid from the Island.

While I hope Halifax puts in a serious bid I could definitely get behind UPEI as well. I was there for a regular season game again UNB last November and their little rink (seats about 1400?) was packed. Overall attendance numbers are great considering they share territory with a QMJHL team. The Charlottetown Civic Centre seats about 3700 which would be perfect. I think they would do just as well as UNB did.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
I think it needs to be a OUA host. Should it not rotate. Through each league? That would make the OUA next to host. I think Thunder Bay didn't hosting. I think they made some mistakes on how they sold tickets but I am sure they have lerned and could put on a great week of hockey. Even if ryerson hosted in the old maple leaf gardens or western could.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
It needs to be a good experience for the student athlete. Outside of Lakehead is a gamble, in the OUA. Kitchener failed, with terrible fan support! It can't just go to the OUA if or the sake of rotating. Put it in a place that will be successful and draw crowds. It's a huge cost and a bid wants to make sure that it gets a good crowd support.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
AUS fan, is that CIS expertise the type of expertise that does not include having any rules to cover 5 minute majors and game misconducts that would carry automatic suspensions, even though the individual leagues do?

Is it the same type of expertise that does such a wonderful job on rankings, major awards and CIS All Star selections?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think it needs to be a OUA host. Should it not rotate. Through each league? That would make the OUA next to host. I think Thunder Bay didn't hosting. I think they made some mistakes on how they sold tickets but I am sure they have lerned and could put on a great week of hockey. Even if ryerson hosted in the old maple leaf gardens or western could.

I wouldn't complain if it was held in Toronto just because of its size. However, outside of Lakehead who could hold a successful tournament? Nipissing has been brought up before but North Bay is getting a OHL team next season.

It is not written in stone that they have to rotate. Canada West was skipped over when UNB landed it for 2011-2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->