The CIS 2013 University Cup

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
What about Trois Rivieres

Someone just said on hear that they just built or are currently building a 5000 seat rink, they have no major junior team, they are a CIS top Ten team every year

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
AUS fan, is that CIS expertise the type of expertise that does not include having any rules to cover 5 minute majors and game misconducts that would carry automatic suspensions, even though the individual leagues do?

Is it the same type of expertise that does such a wonderful job on rankings, major awards and CIS All Star selections?

The only Major/Game Misconduct that is "missed" is the Hit-to-the-head and that has been addressed in this forum and should be rectified for next year.

Ranking are done by media vote, not the CIS.
Major awards are voted on by a panel of Coaches, not the CIS.
All Star selections are voted on by the same panel of coaches, not the CIS.

You cannot be in the runnning for a major award if not selected by your conference. That is not a CIS issue.
I may be mistaken, but I think All Stars are selected from conference All Star teams.

<Imagine snarky comment here if I were in a foul mood> :)

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I understand what you are saying AUS Fan, but the CIS oversight about the 5 min majors for a blow to the head with a game misconduct attached simply went against common sense. That is what prompted my CIS expertise comment.

The CIS rankings have continued to be a problem because this group of voters still haven't recognized the quality of teams in the AUS league despite the visible evidence the last several years. The highly ranked western teams have not done that well the last 5 years or so, I don't think.

The CIS All Stars and Major Awards would seem to be already dictated by the AUS politics and feelings of resentment that explain the AUS yearly selections. Players like Dan LaCosta and Travis Fullerton as well as other players have both fallen victim in recent years. You would expect any team with two All Canadians to be very successful in the AUS playoffs I would think and that hasn't been the case the last two years.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I understand what you are saying AUS Fan, but the CIS oversight about the 5 min majors for a blow to the head with a game misconduct attached simply went against common sense. That is what prompted my CIS expertise comment.

The CIS rankings have continued to be a problem because this group of voters still haven't recognized the quality of teams in the AUS league despite the visible evidence the last several years. The highly ranked western teams have not done that well the last 5 years or so, I don't think.

The CIS All Stars and Major Awards would seem to be already dictated by the AUS politics and feelings of resentment that explain the AUS yearly selections. Players like Dan LaCosta and Travis Fullerton as well as other players have both fallen victim in recent years. You would expect any team with two All Canadians to be very successful in the AUS playoffs I would think and that hasn't been the case the last two years.

They weren't picked, get over it!

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I think it needs to be a OUA host. Should it not rotate. Through each league? That would make the OUA next to host. I think Thunder Bay didn't hosting. I think they made some mistakes on how they sold tickets but I am sure they have lerned and could put on a great week of hockey. Even if ryerson hosted in the old maple leaf gardens or western could.

The CIS guarantee, plus the ad split (they get a cut over every add you sell) is a big stumbling block for most schools - especially schools that do not own a big facility. Alberta did a split approach - Clare Drake for Thu/Fri and Rexall for Sat/Sun, but not a lot of schools have that opportunity.

There is always the chance that no one bids - what would the CIS do then?

Depending on how heavy handed you want to be - you could dictate a rotation and hold the conference responsible for hosting if no school in the conference pony's up. This would force the conference to be an active participant/partner in the process rather then have the schools out there on their own.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Believe me AUS Fan and Red Army East I have gotten over the CIS Awards just as in previous years but I also was talking about the rules oversight and the ongoing weekly rankings that leave you wondering if "hockey people" are actually voting sometimes.

It was the use of the term "CIS expertise" and Cam Critchlow's severe suspension that triggered my reaction because from my point of view the two; CIS and expertise, don't really seem to go together.

Maybe we can agree that there's room for improvement.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The CIS had nothing to do with the Critchlow suspension. It was done by the AUS.

Get your head out of the sand or whatever dark place you have it. Understand the difference between CIS, AUS, OUA and Canada West and the rules in each conference. Understand that everything is not going to go your way all the time. Try to view the game as a "hockey fan" and adopt a less biased approach to things. Things happen to teams that I follow and I may not like it, but I can understand WHY it happened.

If you can do that, then maybe your posts will have some relevance.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Believe me AUS Fan and Red Army East I have gotten over the CIS Awards just as in previous years but I also was talking about the rules oversight and the ongoing weekly rankings that leave you wondering if "hockey people" are actually voting sometimes.

It was the use of the term "CIS expertise" and Cam Critchlow's severe suspension that triggered my reaction because from my point of view the two; CIS and expertise, don't really seem to go together.

Maybe we can agree that there's room for improvement.

His suspension wasn't severe, the fact that he had just been suspended in the previous series is what warranted the decision. It was an AUS decision, not from the CIS. The fact that a penalty wasn't called on the play fuelled fire from UNB supporters and debate, no question. Several hit to the head penalties during Nationals were not dealt with in the same manner, including Bloodoff with (2) 5 min majors, Carroll getting away from what should have been the gate early in the first of the National final on Walingford and Kidd close to a major for checking to the head against Trois Rivieres.
Cam brought it upon himself, plain and simple.
As Foyle pointed out, changes are on the way for checking to the head during future Nationals.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
His suspension wasn't severe, the fact that he had just been suspended in the previous series is what warranted the decision. It was an AUS decision, not from the CIS. The fact that a penalty wasn't called on the play fuelled fire from UNB supporters and debate, no question. Several hit to the head penalties during Nationals were not dealt with in the same manner, including Bloodoff with (2) 5 min majors, Carroll getting away from what should have been the gate early in the first of the National final on Walingford and Kidd close to a major for checking to the head against Trois Rivieres.
Cam brought it upon himself, plain and simple.
As Foyle pointed out, changes are on the way for checking to the head during future Nationals.

I actually thought Tyler Carroll's hit on Wallingford was a solid clean body check. Credit Wallingford for bending over into the hit rather than Carroll Jumping in the air to catch a piece of the 6"7 giants head. It was a ugly result for Wally but certainly not ill intention on the part of Carroll at all. If Wallingford did not get woozy like he did, no one would have questioned the hit period. Solid Hit, unfortunate result

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I realize that I shouldn't disagree with some posters here but I honestly do feel that Cam Critchlow's 5 game suspension was SEVERE not because of the number of games assessed but because of the timing and importance of the 5 games he missed; the final 2 games of the AUS final series plus the 3 games of the CIS championship. Not too many players or fans would consider them of the same importance as an AUS regular season game.

I also want to say that I'm very glad that Patrick O'Keefe was not seriously hurt as he was able to play in the 3rd game of the AUS final, 5 days later and very well with big minutes in all 3 St. Mary's games at the CIS championship.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
AHL? Can't see them going to Trois Rivières, but I can see a Q team landing there. Bathurst has been on the bubble for a while.
Won't happen. Shawinigan owns a veto right on the Trois-Rivières territory and has refused to let it go when Geoff Molson tried to bring in a Q club earlier this year.

AHL has been talked, but I don't see it succeeding unless it's the farmclub of the would-be Nordiques (lots of ifs)

As for UQTR hosting the championship, I don't see it happening either. UQTR held the championship in 1985 and it was a failure. There's not just enough interest in university hockey in the city, and it's pretty much nonexistent in Quebec, so I don't see Montrealers driving up to Trois-Rivières to see the competition.

I could see Carleton hosting it at the Civic Center. Marty Johnston has done a great job with the team and if it wouldn't be for P-O Morin's goal in 4th overtime, they'd be Queen's cup champion.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
No one has mentioned the key ingredient to filling a CIS hockey rink; sell beer for 1/2 price. Every game that UOttawa sold out this season was because the beer was on sale. Beer is a staple of a student's diet and when they can save money on it they buy more so by the end of the game things get pretty loud and rude. I'm not sure how this would work at the University Cup where they play 2 games a day, maybe offer a vomit bag with every beer at the 2nd game.:handclap:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Western

In regards to an earlier post that Western may be interested in bidding, would they play at Thompson Arena? Or take it to the home of London of the CHL. What does Thompson seat?
Ottawa could, but not as long as the CIS National basketball Championships are being hosted there.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
No one has mentioned the key ingredient to filling a CIS hockey rink; sell beer for 1/2 price. Every game that UOttawa sold out this season was because the beer was on sale. Beer is a staple of a student's diet and when they can save money on it they buy more so by the end of the game things get pretty loud and rude. I'm not sure how this would work at the University Cup where they play 2 games a day, maybe offer a vomit bag with every beer at the 2nd game.:handclap:
Was there KRAFT DINER for free too? I remember my student healthy diet.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
In regards to an earlier post that Western may be interested in bidding, would they play at Thompson Arena? Or take it to the home of London of the CHL. What does Thompson seat?
Ottawa could, but not as long as the CIS National basketball Championships are being hosted there.

I would think if Western hosted they would take it downtown to Budweiser Gardens (home of the Knights). It has seating capacity of just over 9000, but they can curtain off the upper bowl and bring it down to about 5,000 - this is what they did when the Mustangs played their home games there a few years ago.

Thompson is a big, multi-purpose building that does have the seating capacity to host the University Cup, but it's not ideal because much of the seating is bleachers. It's a unique set-up that was actually pretty innovative when it was built in the mid 70's. There are only about 1000 permanent seats - the rest are bleachers. The rink is surrounded by a track, which allows them to host events during the winter indoor track season. A retractable lower section of bleachers behind the player benches and below the permanent seats is pulled out for every game. On the opposite side of the rink (which is what you can see on the webcasts), there is full set of retractable bleachers. These only ever get pulled out when the Mustangs make it deep into the playoffs and they start getting over 1,200 1,300 people to a game, or when the arena hosts certain special events/tournaments. Current seating capacity at Thompson is about 3,600 - it used to be close to 5,000, but they've done away with the retractable bleachers at the ends of the rink.

Here's a picture. looking accross the ice to the player benches and permanent seats:
http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/picweek/dec1309.jpg

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Western

I would think if Western hosted they would take it downtown to Budweiser Gardens (home of the Knights). It has seating capacity of just over 9000, but they can curtain off the upper bowl and bring it down to about 5,000 - this is what they did when the Mustangs played their home games there a few years ago.

Thompson is a big, multi-purpose building that does have the seating capacity to host the University Cup, but it's not ideal because much of the seating is bleachers. It's a unique set-up that was actually pretty innovative when it was built in the mid 70's. There are only about 1000 permanent seats - the rest are bleachers. The rink is surrounded by a track, which allows them to host events during the winter indoor track season. A retractable lower section of bleachers behind the player benches and below the permanent seats is pulled out for every game. On the opposite side of the rink (which is what you can see on the webcasts), there is full set of retractable bleachers. These only ever get pulled out when the Mustangs make it deep into the playoffs and they start getting over 1,200 1,300 people to a game, or when the arena hosts certain special events/tournaments. Current seating capacity at Thompson is about 3,600 - it used to be close to 5,000, but they've done away with the retractable bleachers at the ends of the rink.

Here's a picture. looking accross the ice to the player benches and permanent seats:
http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/picweek/dec1309.jpg

The upside to Western hosting is that they have one of the top program in the country, so they would help stiffen the competition, as apposed to a weaker program getting the bid.
Next years tourney, will have only one AUS rep, which will weaken the competition a bit.
Adolph's best chance may be next year. Sask is also red shirting Ryan Macdonald from Lakehead and it will be interesting to see where Frazee ( Lakehead) and Wudrick ( UNB) land. Wudrick was recruited by the Huskies before choosing UNB in 2012. He will be allowed to play in January of 2014. As for Frazee, did he play any games during the second half.
On another note, Alberta will likely get a favourable draw next year. If they win CanadaWest, which is likely, they will get the first round bye. They will host the remainder of thier playoff games at home and get another great draw at the U Cup. That is unless someone else can win that league. Speaking from an AUS perspective, it is much tougher to win this league, as their seems to be more parity and the home team is forced to play on the road as well. CanadaWest should allow the visiting team a home game in a best of 3. I understand when Manitoba or UBC is playing that all games in the home rink makes sense, but if Alberta plays Calgary or Sask, then the visitor should get a home game.
It seems that the Bears usually have the easiest road to the University Cup and there appearances would indicate just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->