CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Not committing to Durant, OK. As long as you have another plan beyond signing a guy who has never even thrown a pre-season CFL pass, nevermind regular season. What I'm saying is I got a feeling that they will release Durant right away and try to enter the season with QB's with no experience, that's just setting them up to fail.

That would be dumb, no question. I think it's actually a CFL rule that Kevin Glenn must be signed by somebody to be their Plan B, so maybe that would be an option if Durant hits the bricks.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Kevin Glenn; the completionist. He signed a 1 year deal with Edmonton today, thus meaning he has been on every CFL team's roster at least once. :laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Boy are they in for a rude awakening when they realize Freeman is a dumpster fire incapable of playing at the pro level.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They did actually release Durant lol.

Told you. Everything about Sherman screams Mike Kelly part 2. Comes in from down south thinking he knows better than everybody here before even understanding the game. Brings in all his own guys, who cares whether they know CFL game or not. Thinks he will win just based on being "smarter" since he is an NFL coach bringing in NFL players.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Told you. Everything about Sherman screams Mike Kelly part 2. Comes in from down south thinking he knows better than everybody here before even understanding the game. Brings in all his own guys, who cares whether they know CFL game or not. Thinks he will win just based on being "smarter" since he is an NFL coach bringing in NFL players.

Mike Kelly was an Eskimos special teams coach when the Bombers gave him the head coaching job, not a former NFL coach...are you thinking of somebody else? Kelly was a disaster though, no disputing that.

With Sherman, you have to wonder just how truly committed he's going to be. An older guy who already made his millions in Green Bay and at Texas A&M. You have to wonder if this is just a case of a retired guy thinking "I wanna coach pro football again, but I don't want the stress of the NFL...". I have no idea of course, maybe Sherman will be Marc Trestman 2.0 for the Alouettes. For their sake, I hope so. That franchise needs a lift.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Mike Kelly was an Eskimos special teams coach when the Bombers gave him the head coaching job, not a former NFL coach...are you thinking of somebody else? Kelly was a disaster though, no disputing that.

With Sherman, you have to wonder just how truly committed he's going to be. An older guy who already made his millions in Green Bay and at Texas A&M. You have to wonder if this is just a case of a retired guy thinking "I wanna coach pro football again, but I don't want the stress of the NFL...". I have no idea of course, maybe Sherman will be Marc Trestman 2.0 for the Alouettes. For their sake, I hope so. That franchise needs a lift.

Ah didn't know where Kelly came from. With the attitude he came riding in with (cut Glenn his first or second day without even talking to anyone) I always figure came Kelly came up from college or NFL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Durant to Winnipeg. Gives Winnipeg a veteran option behind Nichols after they missed out on Glenn. Seeing Durant pass to Dressler for a TD for the Bombers would be a very odd experience for me.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Duron Carter re-signs with Saskatchewan instead of trying out for NFL teams because he "didn't want to do workouts and run 40s". :laugh:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
First, James Wilder Jr. announces he’s sitting out the year because the Argo’s are holding him hostage. Days later, Victor Butler absolutely rips into them for keeping him hostage as well.

Not a great look at all

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
First, James Wilder Jr. announces he’s sitting out the year because the Argo’s are holding him hostage. Days later, Victor Butler absolutely rips into them for keeping him hostage as well.

Not a great look at all

At least part of it is the horrible situation in Toronto, IMO. Butler talked about how team moved around practices constantly, not even like a set dressing room. The team wouldn't provide breakfasts until the players complained enough that the team did...then took those costs out of their gameday check. The Argos have serious concerns off the field.

However this whole "hostage" situation is not new. The CFL used to have minimum 2 year deals, they've changed it to a 1 year plus a team option. For top rookies, it works out the same since team picks up option of course. Honestly this is why most teams just release their guys to work out for NFL teams, but it seems Argo's are taking a hard line and it's backfiring big time. Sure maybe you protect the rights to a couple of guys, but it puts a blackmark on your name and no new players will sign unless very very desperate (ie lower calibre players).

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
At least part of it is the horrible situation in Toronto, IMO. Butler talked about how team moved around practices constantly, not even like a set dressing room. The team wouldn't provide breakfasts until the players complained enough that the team did...then took those costs out of their gameday check. The Argos have serious concerns off the field.

However this whole "hostage" situation is not new. The CFL used to have minimum 2 year deals, they've changed it to a 1 year plus a team option. For top rookies, it works out the same since team picks up option of course. Honestly this is why most teams just release their guys to work out for NFL teams, but it seems Argo's are taking a hard line and it's backfiring big time. Sure maybe you protect the rights to a couple of guys, but it puts a blackmark on your name and no new players will sign unless very very desperate (ie lower calibre players).

CFL does kind of get a raw deal from the NFL and it's something that has bugged me for years now. It seems like a one sided partnership where CFL gets nothing for letting players out of their contracts early and the NFL can just swoop in and take whatever player they want for free. There should be some transfer fees involved and a bonus paid from the NFL if a player makes their roster. For the 2nd straight year the Lions will lose a starting LB (Bighill and now Awe) by letting them out of their contract early and what do they get in return? sweet f*** all. NFL should be writing a thank you cheque every year to the CFL for the service it provides. You have a league worth billions and billions of dollars(not to mention a salary cap of 200 million vs the CFL 5-6 million) and they can't even throw a bone to the CFL.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL does kind of get a raw deal from the NFL and it's something that has bugged me for years now. It seems like a one sided partnership where CFL gets nothing for letting players out of their contracts early and the NFL can just swoop in and take whatever player they want for free. There should be some transfer fees involved and a bonus paid from the NFL if a player makes their roster. For the 2nd straight year the Lions will lose a starting LB (Bighill and now Awe) by letting them out of their contract early and what do they get in return? sweet **** all. NFL should be writing a thank you cheque every year to the CFL for the service it provides. You have a league worth billions and billions of dollars(not to mention a salary cap of 200 million vs the CFL 5-6 million) and they can't even throw a bone to the CFL.

I do agree to a point. There are some arguments against it though.

For one the NFL does recognize the importance of the CFL. The CFL was on the edge of collapse following the disastourous American expansion in the 90's and the NFL stepped in to bail out the league. I know that was 20+ years ago now, but they did help when the league needed it.

2nd transfer fees would have a negative effect on CFL player recruitment. NFL teams would be less likely to sign CFL players if they had to pay a fees to sign them. It's already competitive to get players signed. With less chances to head back south recruitment would be harder.

3rd it would also open up losing any player, instead of just pending UFA's. Right now this is mostly an issue with pending UFA's and players coming off their rookie seasons who want to head back south. Then any player could leave at any time.

4th a bonus for making an NFL roster would NOT fly with CFLPA. If you had the transfer fee, ok, but then once signed it would make ex-CFLers attempt to crack a roster much much harder. It's already hard to make a roster, but then if NFL teams had a close call they'd stick with the guy who doesn't cost a roster bonus.

Lastly, it's a very very good thing Awe is leaving the league. Awe is the dirtiest player I have seen in the CFL is a long time, I'm glad that trash is gone. But that of course is irrelevant to the overall point here ;)

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I do agree to a point. There are some arguments against it though.

For one the NFL does recognize the importance of the CFL. The CFL was on the edge of collapse following the disastourous American expansion in the 90's and the NFL stepped in to bail out the league. I know that was 20+ years ago now, but they did help when the league needed it.

2nd transfer fees would have a negative effect on CFL player recruitment. NFL teams would be less likely to sign CFL players if they had to pay a fees to sign them. It's already competitive to get players signed. With less chances to head back south recruitment would be harder.

3rd it would also open up losing any player, instead of just pending UFA's. Right now this is mostly an issue with pending UFA's and players coming off their rookie seasons who want to head back south. Then any player could leave at any time.

4th a bonus for making an NFL roster would NOT fly with CFLPA. If you had the transfer fee, ok, but then once signed it would make ex-CFLers attempt to crack a roster much much harder. It's already hard to make a roster, but then if NFL teams had a close call they'd stick with the guy who doesn't cost a roster bonus.

Lastly, it's a very very good thing Awe is leaving the league. Awe is the dirtiest player I have seen in the CFL is a long time, I'm glad that trash is gone. But that of course is irrelevant to the overall point here ;)

I'm not anti CFLPA at all. Personally I'd like to see the CFL salary cap climb to double digits so the players get paid more but that would require some investment on the NFL's part and acknowledgement as a feeder system. CFL teams spend a lot of time and money recruiting and having camps all over north america to find these players all so the NFL can just swoop in and take whoever they want for free at their leisure. I get why the NFL doesn't because why buy a cow when you can get the milk for free but it's a very one sided arrangement right now and unfortunately the CFL has very little power to change things. Perhaps transfer fees/roster bonuses are the wrong way to go about it but the NFL should definitely be sending money to the CFL that would hopefully go towards increasing the Salary cap and help lesson the financial burden on the players.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not anti CFLPA at all. Personally I'd like to see the CFL salary cap climb to double digits so the players get paid more but that would require some investment on the NFL's part and acknowledgement as a feeder system. CFL teams spend a lot of time and money recruiting and having camps all over north america to find these players all so the NFL can just swoop in and take whoever they want for free at their leisure. I get why the NFL doesn't because why buy a cow when you can get the milk for free but it's a very one sided arrangement right now and unfortunately the CFL has very little power to change things. Perhaps transfer fees/roster bonuses are the wrong way to go about it but the NFL should definitely be sending money to the CFL that would hopefully go towards increasing the Salary cap and help lesson the financial burden on the players.

Again I mostly agree. It's all about trade offs though. NFL investment would put the CFL at the NFL's mercy (ie turn them into a feeder system). Most people don't want that I think. They are an independant league, which is the way it should stay.

Transfer agreement might work, it might not. The reality of money difference means that there's basically no way for CFL to get to an even ground or have much in the way of bargaining power even. I don't know that a transfer agreement would make it better or worse really. I think the roster bonus you mentioned would be a no go, but thinking about it a transfer agreement might still work with the mandated 2 year deals. So for guys like Wilder if NFL wanted them that bad a fee and they could have their out. Otherwise spend another year in CFL and try luck in UFA.

Right now the Lions don't have to release Awe for example (Bighill was UFA I believe). However it would affect recruitment if they blocked him (see how many players Trestman manages to pull north now). It's a trade off and one we just kinda have to live with, much like European leagues have to live with (most players leave for free as UFA's, a select few get a bit of transfer money when team brings them over before contract ends).

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Unfortunately, it's just one of those things, and there probably isn't an easy solution that would fully satisfy every party. I believe the NFL does pay the CFL some money to show games on American TV during the summer months, and in general, they recognize the benefit of the CFL's existence.

The only way to avoid younger players jumping ship after a big rookie season would be to offer more guaranteed money. But any guy who still has any serious shot at the NFL is never going to take that deal, unless it's just too good to pass up. And then it becomes a dice roll that CFL teams typically can't afford. The only possible way such a thing might work is if teams were allowed a couple of cap-exempt contracts for purposes of trying to lock in an NFL-aspiring recruit for a second year. Who could afford to do that? Edmonton and Saskatchewan. Maybe the other Western teams. Competitive imbalance issues would only be exacerbated, so this would never fly.

At the end of the day, it's next man up. Thousands of players graduate from NCAA every year, and only a fraction even get invited to a CFL evaluation camp. Best to just let your guy try out for the NFL, stay on good terms with player agents, and go find a replacement among the many players sitting there praying that the phone rings.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
CFL does kind of get a raw deal from the NFL and it's something that has bugged me for years now. It seems like a one sided partnership where CFL gets nothing for letting players out of their contracts early and the NFL can just swoop in and take whatever player they want for free. There should be some transfer fees involved and a bonus paid from the NFL if a player makes their roster. For the 2nd straight year the Lions will lose a starting LB (Bighill and now Awe) by letting them out of their contract early and what do they get in return? sweet **** all. NFL should be writing a thank you cheque every year to the CFL for the service it provides. You have a league worth billions and billions of dollars(not to mention a salary cap of 200 million vs the CFL 5-6 million) and they can't even throw a bone to the CFL.

I think what BC gets is players of that calibre willing to come up and play for them because they see that the CFL is a good avenue for them to get noticed and get a shot in the NFL. By letting guys go early BC can sell the fact that they will release guys (even those that have zero shot at the NFL) early if the NFL comes calling. I think there are a lot of guys out there that would be great in the CFL but for many reasons, them overrating themselves and thinking they are NFLers being a big one, don't come up. If you can eliminate one of them it is a pretty good way to get guys up here and as we have seen a lot of guys completely change their mind once here. I have read a number of quotes from guys that basically said they didn't want to come/didn't think much of the CFL but now love it.

As for becoming a feeder league for the NFL maybe teams like TO, Montreal and BC with bad owners and questionable markets would want it but I don't see the upside for owners in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg and even Hamilton and Ottawa.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Why would the NFL do the CFL any favors? The NFL is a business also.
It's the players dream to play in the NFL. I'm gonna assume the CFL teams don't have to let the player out of his contract early but do to accommodate them.
If teams continue to "hold players hostage" at these low salaries they would never sign outside free agents who's goal is to play in the US. In addition if NFL teams rather wait for Awe and Bighill's contract to end because they don't want to pay transfer fees do you really want disgruntled players in the lockeroom?
Not everyone's Cameron Wake.
If someone wants to give you a better job where you make millions why would you impede the opportunity?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
BC get Odell Willis from Ottawa in exchange for a 4th round pick.

Edmonton releases Adarius Bowman.

The Willis situation was very strange as a REDBLACKS fan. Ceresna was a good young player, and Willis was a guy the team could have actually used. Losing both, for what it seems is nothing, sucks. However, I'm sure there's more to it than meets the eye, such as a cap situation. Retaining Spencer and McMillan was huge, so maybe the trade helped with that.

Bouwman signed in Winnipeg, and McDaniel from Calgary was released.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Maybe this is just because Winnipeg has way more UFA's than they have in the past 5-6 years, but it feels like there's way more talent in UFA this year than normal. LG Bond, HB Heath, WR Denmark just from WPG is a great start to UFA, nevermind WR McDaniel, DL Bazzie, WR Demski, WR Parker, WR Fuller, HB/PR Fogg, WR Feoli-Gudino, RB Messam, CB Adams, DT Cummings, OL Rottier, RB Van, K Waters, WR Watson, OL Fabien, WR Moore, DL Turner. That's a huge list of potential guys in UFA. It seems like many teams are having cap problems including Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and many other can't even afford the cap so I'm not sure how great the market will be. It should be a fun off-season.

I really hope Heath doesn't sign in Edmonton, Montreal, or Saskatchewan. He is a big playmaker, I don't want him on a team I hate. Still can't believe that Toronto gave him up in the Drew Willy trade, nevermind the fact that they gave us the #1 pick as well (probable bust DT Faith Ekakatie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad