CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I have to admit I find many of your posts in the CFL thread hilarious and I am not even sure if it is intentional or not.

Comments like....

-Messam being the best running back in the West Division despite having the lowest rushing yardage per carry of all running backs in the west

-Mitchell being the best QB in the league despite underwhelming results throughout the season and finishing 3rd in total passing yards, 6th in passing TDs, 6th in QB efficiency, 8th in completion percentage.

- Reilly being an "interception machine" despite finishing with 13 INTS playing all 18 games - middle of the pack for all CFL quarterbacks and a whopping 2 more than Bo Levi Mitchell. By the way Reilly's interception percentage on his all his passes is 2.0% which is exactly the same as Mitchell

- Reilly's undeserved MOP trophy (assuming he wins it) despite leading the league in passing yardage with 5830 yards, leading the league in TDs, nearly leading the league in quarterback efficiency at 103.2 (barely beaten out by Harris at 103.6 and Nichols at 103.8), fourth in the league in completion percentage and first in the league in yards per attempt at 8.9. All this, while playing for a team dealing with the most man games lost to injury in quite some time. He struggled at the mid point of the season as any QB would with 20 roster players out of the lineup but bounced back at the end.

I look forward to similar posts from you in the future.

Edit: Changed Mitchell to Reilly in final point

Are you saying Calgary shouldn't have gone 18-0 and won every single major award against the other 8 teams just full of scrubs like Reilly and Harris?

I think Bo-Levi is a good QB and Messam is an effective RB. But the real reason for Calgary's success is their offensive line. That's the one area where they have the rest of the league easily beat 18 times per season. I think I heard the TSN panel say that Bo-Levi was pressured 3 times today. Three. Against a defensive line featuring Almondo Sewell, Odell Willis, and John Chick. That's almost beyond comprehension, but for the fact that it happens regularly with that O-line. As I said, Bo-Levi is a good QB, but I think any QB with moderate or better talent could win 12+ games consistently with that line protecting him.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Basically all that shows is that looking at stats is useless and that you don't watch the games.

Most of BLM low numbers are due to him being taken out of games early and horrible play from his receivers. As we saw today the Stamps receivers drop more balls than anything. That is basically all Parker does and all Jordan has done since coming back.

Messam was the best back in the West early on, moreso because all the RB's suck more than him being great, but really slowed down at the end of the season, I think due to injury.

Reilly had some really terrible INT's this year. Not bad luck bounces but just flat out throw it to the other team, god awful reads. Likely because he can't read defenses so he relies on long bombs and Mitchell/Bowman pushing off to get yards.

Unfortunately you won't likely see many posts from me in the future as I have basically quit the CFL at this point. Just way too much horse crap to continue to support the league. I didn't watch the start of the Stamps game and only switched over once the NFL games became such huge blowouts.

Not sure why you even pay attention the CFL. According to you every non-Stampeder player is crap, and even the Stamps players aren't really that great, they are just better than the crap they go up against. It seems clear you derive very little sense of joy from experiencing the CFL product on a weekly basis.

I'm...uh...very sorry to hear we won't likely be treated to your illuminating posts in the future...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not sure why you even pay attention the CFL. According to you every non-Stampeder player is crap, and even the Stamps players aren't really that great, they are just better than the crap they go up against. It seems clear you derive very little sense of joy from experiencing the CFL product on a weekly basis.

I'm...uh...very sorry to hear we won't likely be treated to your illuminating posts in the future...

I have stopped following the CFL. Didn't watch the Stamps last 4-5 games, barely followed after LD, didn't watch the SF games, watched only highlights of the EF and the last part of the WF.

Not every non-Stamps players suck. Wilder Jr. was a hell of a player for the Argo's this year. The Lions have some individual talents as well.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Are you saying Calgary shouldn't have gone 18-0 and won every single major award against the other 8 teams just full of scrubs like Reilly and Harris?

I think Bo-Levi is a good QB and Messam is an effective RB. But the real reason for Calgary's success is their offensive line. That's the one area where they have the rest of the league easily beat 18 times per season. I think I heard the TSN panel say that Bo-Levi was pressured 3 times today. Three. Against a defensive line featuring Almondo Sewell, Odell Willis, and John Chick. That's almost beyond comprehension, but for the fact that it happens regularly with that O-line. As I said, Bo-Levi is a good QB, but I think any QB with moderate or better talent could win 12+ games consistently with that line protecting him.

That line that rarely had the same 5 guys playing this year and certainly not in the same positions?

They have some decent depth but this year the O-Line has been a major problem for the Stamps. The reason BLM has been pressured so few times is that he gets the ball out so fast. Anytime the line had to maintain blocks for any length of time it was brutal.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That line that rarely had the same 5 guys playing this year and certainly not in the same positions?

They have some decent depth but this year the O-Line has been a major problem for the Stamps. The reason BLM has been pressured so few times is that he gets the ball out so fast. Anytime the line had to maintain blocks for any length of time it was brutal.

That's what makes Calgary's line play all the more impressive to me. They have been the best in the CFL this year and last despite dealing with several injuries, especially last year. If you think Calgary's line play was a major problem this year, I don't know what to say, other than every team save for maybe Edmonton and Winnipeg wishes they'd had a similar "problem" this season. Hamilton and BC were routinely giving up more sacks in a single game than Calgary was in a month, and it wasn't just the QB holding onto the ball too long.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's what makes Calgary's line play all the more impressive to me. They have been the best in the CFL this year and last despite dealing with several injuries, especially last year. If you think Calgary's line play was a major problem this year, I don't know what to say, other than every team save for maybe Edmonton and Winnipeg wishes they'd had a similar "problem" this season. Hamilton and BC were routinely giving up more sacks in a single game than Calgary was in a month, and it wasn't just the QB holding onto the ball too long.

Not just me that thinks that way many Stamps fans have commented on how poor the Stamps line has been this year.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I guess my comment to that would be that perhaps Stamps fans have been spoiled by great line play over the years and have a jaded expectation for what a good line looks like. Calgary may as well be an NFL team compared to some of the lines we've seen in this league over the last decade.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I guess my comment to that would be that perhaps Stamps fans have been spoiled by great line play over the years and have a jaded expectation for what a good line looks like. Calgary may as well be an NFL team compared to some of the lines we've seen in this league over the last decade.

If healthy I agree.

Wilson-Bergman-Lavertu-Williams-Federkeil would be amazing, but they have rarely (never) been healthy this year which is why it has struggled.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's after noon in Edmonton, and Jason Maas is still employed. This organization is an absolute joke. 4 season tickets are getting very close to being canceled.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's after noon in Edmonton, and Jason Maas is still employed. This organization is an absolute joke. 4 season tickets are getting very close to being canceled.

Could be worse. You could have Wally Buono coming back and rumoured to be bringing back all his failures of assistants and coordinators, as well as an owner who refuses to put any money into marketing and advertising, and is pricing the team he's supposedly trying to sell like it's an NFL franchise, leading to no real discussion amongst potential, local buyers.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Really pumped foot tonights game.

Also, as a former Halifax resident, Im trying to temper my excitedness for thr Schooners, but some good stories are beibg wtitten on that front.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bo Levi Mitchell the Grey Cup interception machine eh Baxterman. 4 interceptions in 2 games. Mike Reilly sure wouldn't do that!

We don't really know what Reilly would do since he sucks so bad before that that he rarely makes it to the GC.

And BLM was by far the best player in the game for either team. That loss was 100% on Kamar Jorden (with a little help from plain old luck which the Argos needed a ton of).

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Yeah I feel pretty bad for Mitchell, to be honest.

Back to back Grey Cups losing to an inferior team? That's gotta sting. One more and he's in Jim Kelly territory lol

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to the Argos on winning the Grey Cup. Still think Jordan's mistake cost the team but his teammate shouldn't have thrown him under the bus like was done.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bo Levi Mitchell the Grey Cup interception machine eh Baxterman. 4 interceptions in 2 games. Mike Reilly sure wouldn't do that!

BLM would go first overall if the CFL held some imaginary draft of all the players. But I'd bet my left nut that Mike Reilly would be the first pick of most coaches if they had one game to win (a Grey Cup for example). Give Reilly the Stampeders supporting cast and he's probably got 3 rings to his name by now.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Yeah I feel pretty bad for Mitchell, to be honest.

Back to back Grey Cups losing to an inferior team? That's gotta sting. One more and he's in Jim Kelly territory lol

I'm not so sure Ottawa was that inferior to Calgary last season. They experienced plenty of injuries in the 2016 season which contributed to their less than stellar record. They dominated the Stamps for most of that game and Calgary was extremely fortunate the game went to OT. As it turned out, the more deserving team won that day.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Kamar Jorden didn't lose them the game, Dickenson's stupidity did. A FG would have made it a two-score game and a likely Stamps win. Run Messam twice or even tell Mitchell to fall down twice, but don't pass. Nothing was more important there than ensuring that FG attempt.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Kamar Jorden didn't lose them the game, Dickenson's stupidity did. A FG would have made it a two-score game and a likely Stamps win. Run Messam twice or even tell Mitchell to fall down twice, but don't pass. Nothing was more important there than ensuring that FG attempt.
You never play for the tie. Taking a knee on the 30 yard line is a pure loser move and had he called that the team would have lost all respect for him.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
You never play for the tie. Taking a knee on the 30 yard line is a pure loser move and had he called that the team would have lost all respect for him.

I believe he meant they should have just played it safe on the fumble possession to ensure they made it an 11-point lead. In which case I'd agree that you should just feed it to Messam. Of course, it's possible Messam could have fumbled too.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I believe he meant they should have just played it safe on the fumble possession to ensure they made it an 11-point lead. In which case I'd agree that you should just feed it to Messam. Of course, it's possible Messam could have fumbled too.
Meh, its a bad argument still. It was a completed pass. It wasn't intercepted, it was fumbled, so at that point in time it was a running play for all intents and purposes. You can fault the receiver for trying to fight for extra yards if you want, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad