OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
One reason why I hate school is so much of the homework just seems like busywork, as if the time you spend doing it is the important part. School takes all the fun out of learning new things.
English, my new minor, seems to have a lot more of that stuff here. There it's "I don't care if you come to the lectures as long as the tedious f***ing exercises are submitted every week."

There's no "homework" in special education. At least not these little weekly things. You have to come to the lectures, but you'll learn about the stuff and then we'll have the exams or whatever.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Welp me, a random effin snowstorm right when I got off today pretty much made a 20 minute drive into an hour drive, then getting stuck in the snow at one point causing another 50 minute delay with a dude in a BMW almost hitting me because he couldn't stop sliding (half a foot at least). It was a nightmare. Not only that, but while stuck I watched an ****ing idiot who was in a hatchback going at least 45 MPH (picture heavy traffic going at least 8 MPH) and had to switch lanes from hitting a car in front. That car slammed on its breaks turned to the right and almost hit another car. Which then triggered another car to turn to avoid the car slamming on its breaks that made it spin into a 360 towards the barrier on the outside of the highway.

Did you just post a Cher video?
Not even KPop is that low...

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
One of my favorite quotes on education/learning came from Louis L'Amour's autobiographical take on his lifelong passion for learning, "Education of a Wandering Man."

When I left school at the age of fifteen I was halfway through the tenth grade. I left for two reasons, economic necessity being the first of them. More important was that school was interfering with my education.
School's may teach, but they seldom educate.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
One of my favorite quotes on education/learning came from Louis L'Amour's autobiographical take on his lifelong passion for learning, "Education of a Wandering Man."

When I left school at the age of fifteen I was halfway through the tenth grade. I left for two reasons, economic necessity being the first of them. More important was that school was interfering with my education.
School's may teach, but they seldom educate.

You see that quote on FB every week. Usually by people who are not in school. While there's some truth to it... being in school is more just about going to class and listening to an older person ramble on about something. It's about learning how to think, self educating and challenging not only your beliefs but others as well.

Funny, the football forum is having a similar discussion. I'll say what I said there getting a degree doesn't make you a genius.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You see that quote on FB every week. Usually by people who are not in school. While there's some truth to it... being in school is more just about going to class and listening to an older person ramble on about something. It's about learning how to think, self educating and challenging not only your beliefs but others as well.

Funny, the football forum is having a similar discussion. I'll say what I said there getting a degree doesn't make you a genius.
Yes, but I think American schools in particular fail at that key part. American schools teach rote learning to pass tests, and critical thinking and reasoning usually don't get taught until college, when it's too late for most people.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Unless it's a useful degree like Engineering, Nursing, Computer science or something like that.
Yep. That's why I didn't finish my Associates degree into a Bachelor's. I would have studied either history or theater, both of which would qualify me for the job I have now. You can learn about both of those things for free now, and since I'm a complete idiot at math all of the practical degrees were out of reach anyway.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Trying to save money by not going out but living alone and being single can be a bit lonely sometimes. I deleted Tinder so I don't have the distraction either :laugh:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Unless it's a useful degree like Engineering, Nursing, Computer science or something like that.

I laugh sometimes at one of my buddies being a male nurse, but honestly that's one of the better gigs you could ever do. He is always moving and exploring around the US and can literally find a job anywhere. Engineering's a little harder to come by for mobility like that but pay is incredible.

If I was going back to school I'd probably do computer science and try to get a remote job. But I've also seen a lot of companies lately roll back on the "working from home" thing and they're starting to pull those folks back into the offices.

Robotics I guess is probably where it's at though in 20 years.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Trying to save money by not going out but living alone and being single can be a bit lonely sometimes. I deleted Tinder so I don't have the distraction either :laugh:
2234992576_cbb1c95d76_640.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I laugh sometimes at one of my buddies being a male nurse, but honestly that's one of the better gigs you could ever do. He is always moving and exploring around the US and can literally find a job anywhere. Engineering's a little harder to come by for mobility like that but pay is incredible.

If I was going back to school I'd probably do computer science and try to get a remote job. But I've also seen a lot of companies lately roll back on the "working from home" thing and they're starting to pull those folks back into the offices.

Robotics I guess is probably where it's at though in 20 years.

I don't know how I'd feel about remote work. I feel like it'd get lonely.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

It does. I've been doing it for years, and it's tough sometimes. I think I'd like the option of an office now and again.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Wanna apologize for my weird/ ****ed up posts past week. Didn't wanna offend anyone, especially fellow Avs fans. Found out I've been sleeping with a snake the past 3 years plus she cried wolf on the most disgusting lie so my head wasn't in a good spot to say the least. Apologies to you guys. Didn't want or mean to bring my **** here sorry guys.

Fresh start in Jan moving to Edmonton and seeing my first live Avs game in Feb woo! Mack or Z jersey?

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I love it. No one over my shoulder, dog at home, sleep in and work my own hours. Some days suck and some are awesome just like anyone else.

If/when I have to rejoin office culture I’ll be thoroughly disappointed.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Wanna apologize for my weird/ ****ed up posts past week. Didn't wanna offend anyone, especially fellow Avs fans. Found out I've been sleeping with a snake the past 3 years plus she cried wolf on the most disgusting lie so my head wasn't in a good spot to say the least. Apologies to you guys. Didn't want or mean to bring my **** here sorry guys.

Fresh start in Jan moving to Edmonton and seeing my first live Avs game in Feb woo! Mack or Z jersey?

CharmingAlienatedCoot-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: