OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm already an old man at heart so it'll be a smooth transition :laugh:

And yeah I have no idea what that is either. My 'you're old' moment was when I asked my middle school cousin who Jake Paul is and he was flabbergasted.

Jake Paul!? You don’t know him?? He’s so cool for dabbing on the haters and all that cool stuff!

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah. Just wait until someone says that to you. It'll be thrilling.

My 'you're old' moment was last year when the girl I was training didn't know the screen you get when you win a solitaire game on a windows computer and said that must be an old joke.
The one with the cards going all over the place? Where on earth did you sneak that reference?

Vlogs make absolutely no f***ing sense. Thems and watching e-sports are so dumb.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Oh boy, my first usage of the internet was...1990 I think. Using/learning NALCOMIS for tracking maintenance and inventory for the stuff I was learning to fix. Dumb terminals. We did end up getting PCs a few years later, which of course was used for Solitare, Minesweeper, and Doom on breaks or any time we had nothing to fix or clean and weren't allowed to leave (surprisingly often).

Then in college, chat rooms and ICQ led to meeting my wife. Then a job as tech support for AOL (outsourced, until they moved it all to India). And eventually EQ, etc. Not sure when I first stumbled on to HF Boards, but I know it was a few years before I registered, and then a couple more before I posted, and another year or two before I became a regular at more than lurking.

Oh god, I just went as far back as it would take me for my post history. A ROR thread, prior to arbitration (2014). Boy were most of us wrong about so much in that. I was projecting the salary cap to be $88M for 2019-20, and over $100M for 2023-24. Also much talk about who is/will be worth more....MacK/ROR/Duchene.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The one with the cards going all over the place? Where on earth did you sneak that reference?

Vlogs make absolutely no ****ing sense. Thems and watching e-sports are so dumb.

I really have no idea. Don't remember anymore.

If I don't post anymore you can blame the puffer fish I'm about to have in Japan. Here goes nothing.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I've been somewhat following the production of this movie. Was initially excited when Sacha Baron Cohen was attached to play Freddie, then letdown when he left, skeptical when Rami Malek was brought aboard, not overly excited to find out Bryan Singer was directing, super bummed when he was canned so late in production (only because production was almost over, bringing in a new director that late usually is never good).

But this teaser trailer...hot damn it was good. This is the quintessential definition of a "good teaser trailer"--it has me excited to check it out, and I must say that I find Malek appears to embody Freddie quite well.

Reactions: agentblack

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No problem Tweaks!

Everyone here knows my love of The Beatles trumps all other bands/musicians, BUUUUUUT...Freddie Mercury is THE best frontman in Rock & Roll history. The guy was charismatic, energetic, and could sing the HELL out of any song.

I'm excited to check it out, and I hope the film does right by him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No problem Tweaks!

Everyone here knows my love of The Beatles trumps all other bands/musicians, BUUUUUUT...Freddie Mercury is THE best frontman in Rock & Roll history. The guy was charismatic, energetic, and could sing the HELL out of any song.

I hear it's going to focus mainly on the music and not his battle with AIDS. The remaining members of Queen had a lot of creative control and despite protests from some circles they apparently didn't want to delve too much into Freddie's personal life. I'm guessing it will play out a lot like the "VH1 Legends" special did.

This is also the film that Bryan Singer got fired from in mid-production, so I'm curious to see what the final product looks like. Reportedly he and Rami Malek didn't get along. There have been long-time concerns about Singer's on-set behavior so I'm fine with him not having the final say. Malek is a genius actor IMO, the resemblance to Freddie in the trailer is uncanny.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If they don't touch on Mercury's HIV battles, I think it would be a huge shame. I understand why Mercury kept his illness private, but not touching on the impact it had or could have had on the world would be pretty disappointing. It is such a vital part of his story...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh, the hiring of Singer for the project was something I did not like at all, and then I was upset when he got canned near the end of the production ONLY because bringing in a new director that late usually doesn't bode well for the quality of the film.

And @henchman24, you're right--they hopefully should touch on Mercury's HIV battle. It certainly looks like they won't be shying away from his closeted homosexuality (and nor should they--it didn't define him), so I hope the band realizes that people love him/the band no matter what.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Guys, it’s starting to hit me...

I’m ****ing graduating COLLEGE today, in about an hour and fifteen minutes. All week it just hadn’t hit me, but I just parked to get ready to check in and I’m starting to get hit with all the emotions.

I started this in August 2015 and so much has changed since then. I’ve lost 123 lbs, a relationship ended, a new one has began, and I’m just an entirely different person now.

I know I’ve pissed a lot of people off here, and I can’t say I won’t ever do it again (let’s be honest, it’s more likely that I’ll do it again than not), but know this—I love you guys. We fight, we get pissy, but we’re here for a reason.
Congrats, RL. Big hill to climb. Moderating this place plus doing that... I'd probably just auto-ban folks all the time lol.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
No problem Tweaks!

I never really got into classic rock, except for Ozzy and Mutha trucking Queen b*tch!! aahhh i love them

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Queen was transcendent. They were pop, they were rock, they were opera, they were grandiose and epic and fun and silly all at the same time. And I think I gotta agree that rock music has never seen a better frontman than Freddie Mercury.

And on top of being a ridiculously talented musician and performer, he was also a fantastic artist. He designed the band’s logo based on each member’s Zodiac sign.

Reactions: McMetal

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I love entertainers that really carry a show

I'm sure I'm not going to list them all but Trent Reznor, Billy Corgan, Garth Brooks, Jimmy Buffett.....those are guys I have seen that can all carry the stage entirely by themselves.

I'd like to see Elton John and Adele....I know those probably aren't up everyone's alley...but I love musicians that are incredible live and I gotta believe they'd be in the category as well.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Queen changed rock music forever. They were the first to really push the envelope of what the genre was capable of doing, and so many artists now owe them a creative debt. And Mercury was one in a million, even if you take away his awesome charisma, songwriting, and showmanship, his voice alone would make him a top 5 front man of all time.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Westworld anyone? Season 2 has been stellar so far. Episode 4 might be one of my favorite episodes of television, ever.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Westworld anyone? Season 2 has been stellar so far. Episode 4 might be one of my favorite episodes of television, ever.

Haven't tried it yet but I don't have HBO so I have to wait until I can bum off my friend's HBO Now account. I wish I hadn't found out about the big twist in season 1, but I'm sure it'll still be enjoyable. And I'll watch just about anything with Evan Rachel Wood in it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I hate country but I simply had to go to a Garth show this last go-around, since I didn't think I'd have much of a chance to do so again. I think I've mentioned it before but man-o-man the Midwest loves their Garth. He played FIVE SHOWS in Omaha alone. And I swear I was the only person in the entire arena (also counting my wife sitting next to me) who did not know the lyrics to every song that wasn't brand new. Regardless, dude put on one hell of a show, I don't regret going. He may be a country guy but he grew up on rock music.

Also glad I got to see Van Halen before the bottom dropped out and David Lee Roth morphed completely into a parody of himself.

Peter Gabriel remains my all-time favorite and I've seen him twice now. I wouldn't say he's this amazing frontman, but he goes out of his way to put on a show full of spectacle and substance. Dude's getting up there in years so I don't know how many more chances I have left to see him live. I opted to skip the Sting/Gabriel tour, hope I don't come to regret that.

Saw the Stones over 20 years ago in Denver, I think it may have been at the old Mile High. Amazing that they're still going. Say what you will about them, Mick has inspired entire generations of would-be performers.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Don't hate me gang. 3rd day into Tokyo and I got my 5th number and my god is she gorgeous. Half Japanese and half Brazilian. We set Friday night before I leave town to go dancing together.

I just want to stay here forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad