OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Queen changed rock music forever. They were the first to really push the envelope of what the genre was capable of doing, and so many artists now owe them a creative debt. And Mercury was one in a million, even if you take away his awesome charisma, songwriting, and showmanship, his voice alone would make him a top 5 front man of all time.

Freddie Mercury, Lane Staley, Scott Wieland, Dave Gahan are like my dude lead vocals Mt Rushmore for me

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Oh boy, my first usage of the internet was...1990 I think. Using/learning NALCOMIS for tracking maintenance and inventory for the stuff I was learning to fix. Dumb terminals. We did end up getting PCs a few years later, which of course was used for Solitare, Minesweeper, and Doom on breaks or any time we had nothing to fix or clean and weren't allowed to leave (surprisingly often).

Then in college, chat rooms and ICQ led to meeting my wife. Then a job as tech support for AOL (outsourced, until they moved it all to India). And eventually EQ, etc. Not sure when I first stumbled on to HF Boards, but I know it was a few years before I registered, and then a couple more before I posted, and another year or two before I became a regular at more than lurking.

Oh god, I just went as far back as it would take me for my post history. A ROR thread, prior to arbitration (2014). Boy were most of us wrong about so much in that. I was projecting the salary cap to be $88M for 2019-20, and over $100M for 2023-24. Also much talk about who is/will be worth more....MacK/ROR/Duchene.

April 5th, 2009 actually.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Just booked a red-eye out of San Diego in June. Awesome, but I failed to think about how I'm getting back from the airport at 1:30 AM, or what I'm going to do with my bags forthe day in San DIego

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Saw Metallica live few days ago. Damn, they were even better than in 2009 when I saw them last time. Can't remember when was the last time I lost my voice from singing and screaming, been too long.

They (Trujillo) even sang a song in Finnish :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I love entertainers that really carry a show

I'm sure I'm not going to list them all but Trent Reznor, Billy Corgan, Garth Brooks, Jimmy Buffett.....those are guys I have seen that can all carry the stage entirely by themselves.

I'd like to see Elton John and Adele....I know those probably aren't up everyone's alley...but I love musicians that are incredible live and I gotta believe they'd be in the category as well.

Oh...another parrot head in the crowd.

Fins Up @Bonzai12!

Reactions: Tweaky

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Don't hate me gang. 3rd day into Tokyo and I got my 5th number and my god is she gorgeous. Half Japanese and half Brazilian. We set Friday night before I leave town to go dancing together.

I just want to stay here forever.

How's the language barrier treating ya (assuming you don't speak Japanese)? It's always been a dream of mine to move or at least visit Japan, but man that language is intimidating. Not to mention my chickenscratch handwriting in English...I can't even imagine struggling through kanji.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
How's the language barrier treating ya (assuming you don't speak Japanese)? It's always been a dream of mine to move or at least visit Japan, but man that language is intimidating. Not to mention my chickenscratch handwriting in English...I can't even imagine struggling through kanji.

Not a big problem, food has pictures, people are friendly and there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. Certain provinces have more foreigners than others. Signs are adding English for the Olympics. Uber is here. Easy to walk around.

I don't bother trying to read or translate. Apps suck and there's three different written forms here. I do have a native with me a bunch making it easy, but I can navigate the trains without him. English is used enough and it's like any train system.

I love it here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
h9gwfrP.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh Hench, I totally thought of you at my graduation as there was a young lady seated in the row in front of me who decorated her hat w/ Rick & Morty...complete with the phrase "Get Schwifty, Class of 2018"

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey @S E P H, have you seen the documentary on YouTube about Dream Theater's post-Portnoy drummer auditions? There's a good chance you have, since the video's from 2011, but it is super awesome.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh Hench, I totally thought of you at my graduation as there was a young lady seated in the row in front of me who decorated her hat w/ Rick & Morty...complete with the phrase "Get Schwifty, Class of 2018"
Did you put in a good word?

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
I'm flying out to Nagoya tomorrow. I have very little language skills and basically no Japanese and have always got by okay out there. Even though the majority of Japanese people also have very little English, there will always be someone who can help, and everyone is so helpful that you never struggle for long. You just have to be comfortable with the idea that there will be some times where you have no idea what is going.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm flying out to Nagoya tomorrow. I have very little language skills and basically no Japanese and have always got by okay out there. Even though the majority of Japanese people also have very little English, there will always be someone who can help, and everyone is so helpful that you never struggle for long. You just have to be comfortable with the idea that there will be some times where you have no idea what is going.

Looks like I'll just be missing you then, I leave tomorrow.

Completely agreed, there's a universal language out there you don't need to know spoken words to have a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad