OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Does anyone here play guitar? I bought one about 2 months ago as a self-care type of thing since I can’t play drums where I’m currently living. I’m loving playing it, and I play it for at least an hour every day. I’m just wondering when I’m gonna, you know, get good? If you do/did play guitar, how long did it take before you felt confident in your abilities, and before you could play difficult songs?

I used to play quite a bit.
If I were you I’d just focus on learning a bunch of chords and learning how to transition from one chord to the next. Once you get all the basic chords down and how to move from one to the next it gets easier for sure

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Agreed on learning chords. If you try to learn songs or basics you'll take longer.

When I relearn one day I'll start back at chords and transitioning between and just hear it. Then basic songs which use those chords and then tempo.

Also, I know I'm not Smiley but had a solid date tonight. Somehow managed to meet her yesterday through online dating and we had dinner, drinks and walked around tonight. It's good to know there's still real people out there, just harder to find.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Agreed on learning chords. If you try to learn songs or basics you'll take longer.

When I relearn one day I'll start back at chords and transitioning between and just hear it. Then basic songs which use those chords and then tempo.

Also, I know I'm not Smiley but had a solid date tonight. Somehow managed to meet her yesterday through online dating and we had dinner, drinks and walked around tonight. It's good to know there's still real people out there, just harder to find.

I don't talk about relationship stuff as much around here as I used to but I still have the repuation for sure :laugh:

I noticed that my join date was a Valentines Day today. That was probably not a coincidence. :laugh:

@ASmileyFace you ever listen to Waylon Jennings?
Not yet. But I'll check him out tomorrow.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Everything this falling apart. Laptop suddenly discombobulated. Phone is having a hard time keeping a charge. Big deposit for new apartment. Have to furnish the damn thing as well. Owe 600 more to the IRS. And I've gotten myself into some expensive fantasy baseball leagues. Seriously...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Does anyone here play guitar? I bought one about 2 months ago as a self-care type of thing since I can’t play drums where I’m currently living. I’m loving playing it, and I play it for at least an hour every day. I’m just wondering when I’m gonna, you know, get good? If you do/did play guitar, how long did it take before you felt confident in your abilities, and before you could play difficult songs?
Go after the semi-hard songs to begin with and you'll eventually get the hang of everything else. That is what I did with the piano, but I've noticed that everything comes down to the amount of time you put in, the amount of time you will get rewarded. For the record, don't go after songs that are challenging and not fun to play yet, there are some hard songs I just could not play for the life of me when I first started out. While there were others which I found more fun making it easier to learn.

Eventually you'll come from this...

to this...

Anyone here read Ready Player One? I'm hearing some not so good things about the movie and feel like I better just read it on my own before spoilers and what not get out there.
Haven't read it personally, but my friend did and said it was one of the best books he's read in a very long time.

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Anyone here read Ready Player One? I'm hearing some not so good things about the movie and feel like I better just read it on my own before spoilers and what not get out there.
It’s fun, original and a good story. Read it in one sitting but that’s not rare for me.
It’s not super well-written but it’s a fun read. I recommend it a lot to people who don’t read much or want something mindless! If you like it, his other book is good for that, too (Armada). Although it’s a bit derivative.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
It wasn't well written but I enjoyed Ready Player One nonetheless. If the movie is getting bad reviews I'm avoiding it for sure. I don't want to taint the book for me.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Admittedly I haven't necessarily dug for them, but on Twitter at least I've only seen generally positive things about Ready Player One (the movie).

I do wonder if the negative reactions out there are in any way because books just never translate 100% to the screen. They're two different mediums for storytelling. I seem to recall even some hardcore Middle-Earth lovers having some irritations w/ Jackson's LotR and Hobbit films.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On music talk.... Sturgill Simpson. Who is this guy? Country that doesn't suck? Digging what I've heard so far.

Dude he is amazing! All 3 of his solo albums are absolutely worth listening too, and he puts on one hell of a live show. I remember him playing Red Rocks with The Avett Brothers a few years ago and just blowing them off the stage in comparison.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
don't talk about relationship stuff as much around here as I used to but I still have the repuation for sure :laugh:

I noticed that my join date was a Valentines Day today. That was probably not a coincidence. :laugh:

It's more a joke than anything else. I don't think anyone minded it.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
It’s fun, original and a good story. Read it in one sitting but that’s not rare for me.
It’s not super well-written but it’s a fun read. I recommend it a lot to people who don’t read much or want something mindless! If you like it, his other book is good for that, too (Armada). Although it’s a bit derivative.
Sam!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I used to play quite a bit.
If I were you I’d just focus on learning a bunch of chords and learning how to transition from one chord to the next. Once you get all the basic chords down and how to move from one to the next it gets easier for sure
Sounds good! Looks like chords are the way to go, which makes sense since I’m currently terrible at chord transitions. I always thought things like solos would be more difficult to learn, but I’ve managed to quite a few already. I can really only go between G, C, A, and D, at this point, haha.

Go after the semi-hard songs to begin with and you'll eventually get the hang of everything else. That is what I did with the piano, but I've noticed that everything comes down to the amount of time you put in, the amount of time you will get rewarded. For the record, don't go after songs that are challenging and not fun to play yet, there are some hard songs I just could not play for the life of me when I first started out. While there were others which I found more fun making it easier to learn.

Eventually you'll come from this...

to this...

This is the outlook I currently have about learning guitar - play fun stuff that’s challenging in order to eventually work my way up to harder and harder stuff. I think if I combine my current mindset and add some time for chords into my practicing, I should be good. Not Tobin Abasi good, but hopefully I’ll be able to play some of my favorite songs sooner rather than later. My ultimate goal is to be able to write my own blues songs. Love me some blues.

As you said, though, it all comes down to the amount of time you put into it. I just need to find some more time, haha.

I read it a few years back. Definitely a worthwhile read if you have any nostalgia for the ‘80s or early video game culture. As others have said, it’s not the best written book, but it conveys its story well enough. Lots of references to geek culture and all that throughout the adventure, if that sounds interesting to you.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Not yet. But I'll check him out tomorrow.

He’s got some great covers. Check out “are you ready for the country” originally a Neil young song.
“Can’t you see” originally a song by Marshall Tucker Band.
“Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys”.
“Rainy day woman”

Reactions: Tru

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Sam-bo's back!

(congrats on the house and baby!)
Thanks!! It’s early still and I’m a pessimist. But it’s crazy still lol

Blud, buying a house and calling the stork hotline for a baby in this Colorado economy? You mad I tell ya.
We only had to move to ghetto Brighton to afford it but we did it lol! And we’re in the beer industry, it’s economy proof hahaha
BDLers.... assemble! Shape of... pineapple with a cool mustache.
OMG BDL hahahaha. I don’t even remember our team!

Reactions: S E P H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad