OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I've had a Macbook since 2013, the same Macbook actually. Have had zero problems with it, the thing is indestructible.

I actually came here to say this. Bought a Mac book pro in 13 through my college for around 900 and it runs as good today as it did the day I bought it. I know people blast apple for charging way more for equivalent specs, but there’s something to be said about a low maintenance computer that is reliable. Shit I dropped and dented the corner of it 2nd day I owned it and nothing broke

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I can't quite put into words how much it hit me. It's easily the best feature length anime that I've seen since going to a screening of Spirited Away over 15(!) years ago and a reminder of what the medium is capable of. It also nudged me into impulse-buying the awesome, unquestionably over-priced Limited Edition.

Exactly. I do like anime movies but those rarely are amazing. My favourites before seeing Your Name were Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. I very rarely use words like beautiful or touching when I describe a movie or series but Your Name brought up feelings I didn't know a Finnish man can have.

Reactions: The Merchant

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I usually grab hand me down computers from work since we rotate through them quickly, so my opinion might be skewed... but I grabbed up a leftover Surface Book about a month ago and absolutely love that computer. It is a bit large for a tablet in that mode, but still very usable. The screen is incredibly good and the 3:2 ratio is a god send (you don't realize how much better it is until you swap between computers). And the build quality is very high throughout. I'm very impressed with it.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm like 80% sure that the laptop I purchased just a little over 2 years ago, for school (because my major actually has a laptop requirement, with specific minimum specs needing to be met) has just bit the dust.

I had brought it to school, used it fine on Monday, brought it home and forgot to plug it in until last night. I plugged it in and it wouldn't turn on. Ok, no big deal, I figured it just needs to charge overnight. I wake up this morning and it still won't turn on and now I'm very nervous. I spent a little over $1000 on that thing, again because my degree requires certain minimum specs to be met (in order to edit videos and whatnot).

For ease of use with the editing software I use, I'd love a MacBook Pro (despite my unenthusiastic nature towards Apple), but I can't afford that. I'm having trouble even being okay with replacing it for another $800-1000.

Do you run Premiere on it?

As for the current laptop, did it exhibit any symptoms before it refused to boot up? And what kind of laptop it is? I have loads of experience with all kinds of hardware, so I'm happy to help if I can in any way.

If you really need high video processing power I would recommend a gaming laptop from Dell - their 7577 series is fantastic, but heavy to lug around -, DELL XPS or Asus Zenbook if you have an aversion towards Apple, or a MacBook Pro. In terms of build quality and specs it's hard to outdo those. IMHO 7577 (also comes with GeForce GTX 1060 or 1050Ti) is the best bang for the buck, but is far less comfortable to carry around.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Do you run Premiere on it?

As for the current laptop, did it exhibit any symptoms before it refused to boot up? And what kind of laptop it is? I have loads of experience with all kinds of hardware, so I'm happy to help if I can in any way.

If you really need high video processing power I would recommend a gaming laptop from Dell - their 7577 series is fantastic, but heavy to lug around -, DELL XPS or Asus Zenbook if you have an aversion towards Apple, or a MacBook Pro. In terms of build quality and specs it's hard to outdo those. IMHO 7577 (also comes with GeForce GTX 1060 or 1050Ti) is the best bang for the buck, but is far less comfortable to carry around.

To my knowledge, no it had not shown any symptoms of it refusing to boot up. I stupidly should've thought of replacing the AC adapter first. Since I'm off today, I'm on my way to Best Buy now to buy a replacement and hope that it fixes the issue.

I currently have an ASUS now, the Q551L model. And I do run premiere on it (although even with an Intel Core i7 processor and it being upgraded to 12GB of RAM, it has lagged at times). I was kind of picky when I bought it originally because I like to have the number pad on the right, and most laptops don't have that anymore, as well as a CD/DVD drive...but if I have to replace it, I'm just going to have to make due with a laptop that doesn't have the numerical pad and CD/DVD drive (since I can just buy an external one of those at a later time). I've seen a Dell that looks interesting, as well as another ASUS. I wouldn't mind a MacBook, again even though I'm rather ambivalent towards Apple in general, because of the smoothness of which it typically runs programs like Premiere/other Video Editing software. But when I can get a Dell or ASUS that has better tech specs under the hood for only $200ish more (so we're talking like i5 & 8GB RAM vs. i7 & 16GB RAM), then why wouldn't I do that?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To my knowledge, no it had not shown any symptoms of it refusing to boot up. I stupidly should've thought of replacing the AC adapter first. Since I'm off today, I'm on my way to Best Buy now to buy a replacement and hope that it fixes the issue.

I currently have an ASUS now, the Q551L model. And I do run premiere on it (although even with an Intel Core i7 processor and it being upgraded to 12GB of RAM, it has lagged at times). I was kind of picky when I bought it originally because I like to have the number pad on the right, and most laptops don't have that anymore, as well as a CD/DVD drive...but if I have to replace it, I'm just going to have to make due with a laptop that doesn't have the numerical pad and CD/DVD drive (since I can just buy an external one of those at a later time). I've seen a Dell that looks interesting, as well as another ASUS. I wouldn't mind a MacBook, again even though I'm rather ambivalent towards Apple in general, because of the smoothness of which it typically runs programs like Premiere/other Video Editing software. But when I can get a Dell or ASUS that has better tech specs under the hood for only $200ish more (so we're talking like i5 & 8GB RAM vs. i7 & 16GB RAM), then why wouldn't I do that?

The first step for me would be to do a hard reset of the laptop. I'm not sure how accessible the battery is, but what you would need to do is to remove it, disconnect the charger and hold the power button for about 20 seconds. That should help and is a good start going forward. After that, the next step would be to remove the BIOS battery and see if that helps. Frankly, I'm suspecting two things if you exclude a faulty charger, one is RAM module failure and the other is motherboard failure.

As for the specs, Unix based system as MacOS are better optimized and make better use of the hardware they are packing compared to Win machines. And I say this as someone who isn't an Apple fanboy. I've used MacBooks at work along with a Windows machine that has better specs than the Mac, including a dedicated GPU, 4GB of RAM more than the Mac, newer version of the i5 CPU, but Mac just kills it in every way imaginable, going from using Photoshop, occasional light video editing, running emulators in Android Studio/XCode and other IDEs, Unity engine etc. The only comparable in the Win (btw I don't run Win usually, in 90% of the cases I boot Kubuntu on my dual-boot machine, as Unix based systems are far more user friendly to me as someone working in IT) world for me is the DELL XPS with at least 16GB of RAM, dedicated GPU and 7th gen or up i series CPU. There are obviously other cheaper alternatives such as Zenbooks, but these two are top of the line, but they might be overkill for a student. Personally, I'm going to be buying a new laptop in the coming months and the choice will probably be Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM, 2.3GHz i5 7th gen and a 256GB SSD, that's more than enough to serve me for quite some time and delivers everything I use on daily basis (IDEs) in a well-executed manner.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You can find USB number pads to plug in, but it is not hard to find laptops with one built in. I have to have one too, so every laptop I have ever bought has one. Newest one is an ASUS ROG GL703VD (version with GTX1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD). i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 17.3". Price has gone down $100 since I got it and you can find it cheaper elsewhere...but not that ship to Singapore :(.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753PV7PH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still not sure I like Win10.

The optical drive is a bit less common now, which was a surprise to me. But externals are cheap now, and with USB3.0/3.1, transfer speeds are plenty fast.

Myself, I am in the market for an external media drive. It took me all of 3 weeks to fill up the 1TB drive on this (including the crap transferred over from the old one). I am wanting one big enough to back up all three laptops, 3 phones, a Kindle, plus plenty of shows/movies. But I am cheap and peeved that prices have somehow gone up in the last two years, so unwilling to pull the trigger just yet (settled on WD myPassport 4GB, just waiting for a good sale).

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You can find USB number pads to plug in, but it is not hard to find laptops with one built in. I have to have one too, so every laptop I have ever bought has one. Newest one is an ASUS ROG GL703VD (version with GTX1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD). i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 17.3". Price has gone down $100 since I got it and you can find it cheaper elsewhere...but not that ship to Singapore :(.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753PV7PH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still not sure I like Win10.

The optical drive is a bit less common now, which was a surprise to me. But externals are cheap now, and with USB3.0/3.1, transfer speeds are plenty fast.

Myself, I am in the market for an external media drive. It took me all of 3 weeks to fill up the 1TB drive on this (including the crap transferred over from the old one). I am wanting one big enough to back up all three laptops, 3 phones, a Kindle, plus plenty of shows/movies. But I am cheap and peeved that prices have somehow gone up in the last two years, so unwilling to pull the trigger just yet (settled on WD myPassport 4GB, just waiting for a good sale).

Try finding something that ships to Croatia :laugh:

I decided I'd take the missis to good ol' Germany or Austria, have a nice weekend there, go sightseeing, buy the laptop, and in the end spend the difference in price between Croatia and DE on that mini-vacation.

Reactions: Tweaky

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
giphy.gif

@Ivan13 has agreed to buy me a sick new MacBook Pro, provided I don’t tell anyone about it...

Oh farts!

But for real—turns out it was the AC Adapter, got a new one and it’s charging now.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Tweaky

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I’ve been a huge advocate of Macs forever. I bought a MacBook back in 2009 and have never had a single problem with it. I’ve dropped it several times too. Gonna sell it to my buddy for $100 because it still works flawlessly. The battery is shot though - if you take it off life support for a second it will die. But a new battery is a small price to pay for a solid, working comp.

And then...I intend on buying one of the new macbooks. Insanely priced but still so worth it. Solid investment for the next 10 years.

To anyone whose on the fence about Mac vs PC...I would always say bite the bullet and buy Mac.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I’ve been a huge advocate of Macs forever. I bought a MacBook back in 2009 and have never had a single problem with it. I’ve dropped it several times too. Gonna sell it to my buddy for $100 because it still works flawlessly. The battery is shot though - if you take it off life support for a second it will die. But a new battery is a small price to pay for a solid, working comp.

And then...I intend on buying one of the new macbooks. Insanely priced but still so worth it. Solid investment for the next 10 years.

To anyone whose on the fence about Mac vs PC...I would always say bite the bullet and buy Mac.
So you fully enjoy spending an extra $500 dollars for the Apple brand when you get a similar product and specs for cheaper?

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
So you fully enjoy spending an extra $500 dollars for the Apple brand when you get a similar product and specs for cheaper?

Yeup. This always seems to be the argument for non Apple user but IMO, PCs are inferior products. Depending on how you're using it (a ballin Alienware comp used for gaming would be better).

I like how they operate better, NEVER get viruses etc., last longer and all around just a sleeker, better looking comp.

You may be paying $500 more, but they sure as shit will last longer than those janky ass comps you call PCs.:laugh: I’m only playing but I disagree that PCs are comparable all around.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Yeup. This always seems to be the argument for non Apple user but IMO, PCs are inferior products. Depending on how you're using it (a ballin Alienware comp used for gaming would be better).

I like how they operate better, NEVER get viruses etc., last longer and all around just a sleeker, better looking comp.

You may be paying $500 more, but they sure as **** will last longer than those janky ass comps you call PCs.:laugh: I’m only playing but I disagree that PCs are comparable all around.

Bleh. My android based smartphone (OnePlus One) has been working pretty much perfectly for 3½ half years now. My desktop CPU has been working perfectly for 3 years already. My ASUS ROG laptop has been working for two years now perfectly, except for the fact that the battery is dead. And I play a loooooot of video games..

It works that way too. If you got the money, buy the product you want. But it's funny to me how valuable a brand name can make a product.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Bleh. My android based smartphone (OnePlus One) has been working pretty much perfectly for 3½ half years now. My desktop CPU has been working perfectly for 3 years already. My ASUS ROG laptop has been working for two years now perfectly, except for the fact that the battery is dead. And I play a loooooot of video games..

It works that way too. If you got the money, buy the product you want. But it's funny to me how valuable a brand name can make a product.

I’m not saying they’re aren’t success stories for PCs too...I’m just saying, personally, I would never buy anything other than a Mac. In many cases, specifically iPhones, yes I would say that brand has a major effect on consumer preferences, but I like macs because they are proven to me and I like them better. I’m certainly not buying macs because it’s APPLE. To each their own!

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I’m not saying they’re aren’t success stories for PCs too...I’m just saying, personally, I would never buy anything other than a Mac. In many cases, specifically iPhones, yes I would say that brand has a major effect on consumer preferences, but I like macs because they are proven to me and I like them better. I’m certainly not buying macs because it’s APPLE. To each their own!

Fair enough! :)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sounds rough... I’ll bite the bullet for ya if you need.
Lol. Sounds like an obvious no brainer, but I've worked for a tremendous company for quite some time now. Kind of comfort thing and a feeling of loyalty. Makes it tough to leave. But on the other hand.... $$$$.

It's a job i'll enjoy too. Probably more than the one I have right now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol. Sounds like an obvious no brainer, but I've worked for a tremendous company for quite some time now. Kind of comfort thing and a feeling of loyalty. Makes it tough to leave. But on the other hand.... $$$$.

It's a job i'll enjoy too. Probably more than the one I have right now.
Magic Mike? :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Buying an Apple product is just paying 300$+++ for a brand name.

Best regards
A marketing student

In terms of an iPhone and other stuff like that sure, in terms of a tool for work not even close. Macs cost a pretty penny, but so does the only other thing that comes close to them (XPS) in terms of build quality (try using a trackpad on Mac and then switch to a similarly priced Win machine), performance, image quality, etc, and they are both worth the price. Mac is also a choice for you if you are interested in a machine that will serve you for years without the constant need for idiotic updates, unreliable performance, dodgy security etc. If you're serious about your work in my industry you use a UNIX based system, and the best of them is MacOS. I say this as someone that would sooner be categorized as an Apple hater, rather than a fanboy and as someone who used Windows for as long as I remember, was in charge of Win based servers, managed Unix based servers, worked in IT and automation. In general, I despise big brands that blow up prices, and Apple is one of the worst offenders there, starting with accessories all the way up to phones, or even the 12" Macbook, but the Pro that can be had for 1300€ is worth its price if you are someone whose laptop is a primary source of income and the tool you use on daily basis. Now what's really absurd are the prices of stuff like Adobe CC, AutoDesk AutoCAD, Windows etc.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Buying an Apple product is just paying 300$+++ for a brand name.

Best regards
A marketing student

When you buy an Apple product, or any big name brand, it's pretty common sense that you're in part paying strictly for the brand. But their laptops are absolutely killer and worth the price to me. I'd much rather pay a little extra and have something I know will be reliable for 5+ years than the gongshow of laptops I went through before I had my Mac.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’ve never seen this many people before be pro Mac :laugh: every time someone sees my Mac they usually go off on me for having an overpriced piece of garbage lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad