OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Wow...that is a blast from the past, geez I don't remember a single aspect about that except that I was like Doug Glatt on a team with a dude that had the Space Balls avatar.
You were on my team I think! And half those people were nut jobs. I think I’m still friends with JF on Facebook :laugh:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
You were on my team I think! And half those people were nut jobs. I think I’m still friends with JF on Facebook :laugh:

We had a good time. Sometimes I feel like non-internet denizens will never appreciate everything people go through online since it just seems like you're interacting on a screen.

Avs fans have literally been a part of my life for over a decade now between the Avs Board, BDL and HFAvs.

Now... What happened on BDL stayed on BDL. That's for sure.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
We had a good time. Sometimes I feel like non-internet denizens will never appreciate everything people go through online since it just seems like you're interacting on a screen.

Avs fans have literally been a part of my life for over a decade now between the Avs Board, BDL and HFAvs.

Now... What happened on BDL stayed on BDL. That's for sure.
I was so dramatic back then hah. Being an adult is nice

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Hahaha, that's hilarious because he came back here like a year ago and said he isn't an Avs fan anymore. No idea why.

Yeah thinking about myself back then, I was like on cocaine.

That’s so weird. Probably because landeskog is still the captain.

And yeah you were somethin back then haha

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
So, I stopped working out for a few weeks unfortunately. Exam time + papers and everything it just lost it's importance. Starting to get back into the swing of it and I remember before I could do certain workouts/weights and be fine, it surprised me because at the time I didn't think anything of it but now that I get back into it it's like shit this is a lot heavier than I remember. :laugh:

Tru

May 21, 2015
Colorado
He’s got some great covers. Check out “are you ready for the country” originally a Neil young song.
“Can’t you see” originally a song by Marshall Tucker Band.
“Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be cowboys”.
“Rainy day woman”

"Are you sure Hank done it this way" is one of my personal favs.
"Drinkin' and Dreamin'"
"I aint livin' long like this"
and he does a hell of a cover of "Turn the Page"

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Thanks!! It’s early still and I’m a pessimist. But it’s crazy still lol

We only had to move to ghetto Brighton to afford it but we did it lol! And we’re in the beer industry, it’s economy proof hahaha

OMG BDL hahahaha. I don’t even remember our team!

Congrats on everything Sam

BDLers.... assemble! Shape of... pineapple with a cool mustache.

That brings back some memories. Pretty sure I still have some of the photoshop stuff I made for BDL on one of my older laptops. I think that the Pucktards (I think that was the team name?) signature pics that I made and those odd photoshop pages that I did for what teams were playing every week. Pretty sure that we ended up switching to the sigs that smurf made pretty fast though

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Anybody here bike to work? Any suggestions on a cheaper bike to try it out?

I've biked to work in the past, but the hassle of my current crap bike pushed me away. I'm thinking a simple single speed (maybe with a flip flop hub), lightweight, and decently wide tires for a better ride... about my only requirements.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

I've biked to work in the past, but the hassle of my current crap bike pushed me away. I'm thinking a simple single speed (maybe with a flip flop hub), lightweight, and decently wide tires for a better ride... about my only requirements.

BikePedia - Bicycle Value Guide

I used to have this bad boy. The reason even have the link bookmarked is that the bike was stolen to nobody's surprise.

I can definitely recommend wide tires. I bought something similar to the one I posted and it's just such a smooth ride. I wish the bike I now have was 3-speed as the city I live in has a lot of hills..

Now that I think if it I didn't offer you anything else than A. wide tires rock and B. 3-speed can save your lungs.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I can vouch for a 3-speed as well. I have an old women's city bike, but shifting between gears 2 and 3 is a lot better than my experiences of a single speed.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
So, I stopped working out for a few weeks unfortunately. Exam time + papers and everything it just lost it's importance. Starting to get back into the swing of it and I remember before I could do certain workouts/weights and be fine, it surprised me because at the time I didn't think anything of it but now that I get back into it it's like **** this is a lot heavier than I remember. :laugh:

It's easy to regress a bit, if you stop doing it.

I travel a bit, and sometimes there's either little time or a really substandard hotel gym (it amazes me that in 2018, some hotels still can't cobble together a decent little gym room), and when that happens, it's quite hard to do your 'regular' workout.

So even when real gym workouts can't get done, I always do something anyway: pushups, dips, situps, planks, squats and toe raises are 6 exercises that can be done in any hotel room (or any room in the house) with zero equipment. You can bang out 3 sets of 20-25 reps of each and get it done in under a half hour. It doesn't replace a proper weight training workout, but it will activate your muscles, and you won't feel such a falloff in your strength when you get back to the gym.

Running and stretching are two really easy ones to do with zero equipment as well. Though I confess - I hate running.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There are some hills in my town, but really not that many... and my commute is all flat. I want this thing to be as maintenance free as possible, and that is my only hold up on going to a 3 speed. More parts to maintain.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
There are some hills in my town, but really not that many... and my commute is all flat. I want this thing to be as maintenance free as possible, and that is my only hold up on going to a 3 speed. More parts to maintain.
Honestly, biking became so much easier when I switched back to a 3-speed from this small single speed I had previously. Get ready for not being able to shift up when you gain speed.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008

I've been using an old Pacific Carrera mountain bike (well was before winter anyways, still a little bit much snow / ice for me to want to ride a bike) for 70+km rides on roads because it was all I had available without buying one and thus far have had no real issues with it (there is a new seat on it).

I do want to get a new bike in the future, but most of my search has been into road, gravel and cyclocross bikes with minimum 18 gears in most cases. Which is obviously less so what you're looking towards based the flat terrain + limiting parts.

You could always look into a fixie, I've heard that something like a Surly Steamroller is a decent fixie bike. Honestly never tried one though, nor do I know how much they would cost.

Another option would be checking out Walmart or something. I know their bikes tend to get a bad reputation, and I personally wouldn't get one based on my current desires for my next bike, but I know a lot of people that have got them and not had issues. I recently saw some videos of people doing some pretty crazy mountain biking on them and they took quite a beating before the damage impacted the ride (and they still were working well enough to get up and down the trail). I can't remember where the trails were but they were pretty intense and were only accessible by bike.

Raleigh could be a brand that might have a cheaper option if you still want to go new, I'm pretty sure that they have some cheaper options that fit your requirements (likely an Urban bike with them, but something else might catch your eye)

Biggest recommendation would be to go into an actual bike shop though and just try the fit on a couple different bikes / styles. Find something that you find comfortable and then (assuming you want to try and get a cheaper version) look for an older version of it online. Most companies release new versions every year and the old stock tends to go on sale in January / February (at least here, not sure if the time frame changes from place to place in accordance to weather or the release of the new stuff).

I went into the local bike shops and just kind of tried to get a feel for the differences (I've personally been looking at Trek, Giant and Cannondale bikes)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Honestly, biking became so much easier when I switched back to a 3-speed from this small single speed I had previously. Get ready for not being able to shift up when you gain speed.

I'll have to keep that in mind. A 3 speed is at least only one shifter...

I've been using an old Pacific Carrera mountain bike (well was before winter anyways, still a little bit much snow / ice for me to want to ride a bike) for 70+km rides on roads because it was all I had available without buying one and thus far have had no real issues with it (there is a new seat on it).

I do want to get a new bike in the future, but most of my search has been into road, gravel and cyclocross bikes with minimum 18 gears in most cases. Which is obviously less so what you're looking towards based the flat terrain + limiting parts.

You could always look into a fixie, I've heard that something like a Surly Steamroller is a decent fixie bike. Honestly never tried one though, nor do I know how much they would cost.

Another option would be checking out Walmart or something. I know their bikes tend to get a bad reputation, and I personally wouldn't get one based on my current desires for my next bike, but I know a lot of people that have got them and not had issues. I recently saw some videos of people doing some pretty crazy mountain biking on them and they took quite a beating before the damage impacted the ride (and they still were working well enough to get up and down the trail). I can't remember where the trails were but they were pretty intense and were only accessible by bike.

Raleigh could be a brand that might have a cheaper option if you still want to go new, I'm pretty sure that they have some cheaper options that fit your requirements (likely an Urban bike with them, but something else might catch your eye)

Biggest recommendation would be to go into an actual bike shop though and just try the fit on a couple different bikes / styles. Find something that you find comfortable and then (assuming you want to try and get a cheaper version) look for an older version of it online. Most companies release new versions every year and the old stock tends to go on sale in January / February (at least here, not sure if the time frame changes from place to place in accordance to weather or the release of the new stuff).

I went into the local bike shops and just kind of tried to get a feel for the differences (I've personally been looking at Trek, Giant and Cannondale bikes)

Thanks! Yeah I won't be taking this thing on more than the occasional 5-10 mile stroll. My house to work is only 1.3 miles one way. 4 times a day that is less than 6 miles... so nothing too extreme. Nice spring/summer/fall days it will end up on pub crawls where 10-15 miles might be pushed, but that is about it.

I have a pretty good bike shop just down the road from my house and know a few guys that work there (one keeps trying to sell me some old fixie that he fixed up super cheap... but I know I'd hurt myself on a fixie the first few times :laugh:). That is probably where I'll end up buying something from.

Reactions: cody275

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
I'll have to keep that in mind. A 3 speed is at least only one shifter...

Thanks! Yeah I won't be taking this thing on more than the occasional 5-10 mile stroll. My house to work is only 1.3 miles one way. 4 times a day that is less than 6 miles... so nothing too extreme. Nice spring/summer/fall days it will end up on pub crawls where 10-15 miles might be pushed, but that is about it.

I have a pretty good bike shop just down the road from my house and know a few guys that work there (one keeps trying to sell me some old fixie that he fixed up super cheap... but I know I'd hurt myself on a fixie the first few times :laugh:). That is probably where I'll end up buying something from.

Another thing to consider. I don't know if it is something that is available anywhere near you, but one of the bike shops near here have a "life time warranty" that you can pay for if you already have a bike or you get when you buy a bike with them and then you can take your bike in for gear/brake adjustments and truing the wheels whenever necessary or desired. It doesn't really solve bigger issues that you might run into, but if you are aiming to limit any time that you personally have to deal with any issues it's definitely something that might have me go there if I end up buying a bike in the near future.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

The bike you need is depicted in my avatar.

It's a Harley Davidson Gnomad.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The bike you need is depicted in my avatar.

It's a Harley Davidson Gnomad.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad