The Amazing "We Blue It" Press Conference 4/10/19

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
Thoughts? The nervous laugh of Armstrong was really annoying and the fact he said Jake is capable of being a Number one because he finished in the top 7 for GAA is insane. Yeo saying everything is basically going to stay the same and that we just need "more effort" is the blueiest response ever.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I actually didn't think it was a bad press conference at all. What do want him to say? That he's trading Jake Allen at all costs or something? Come on.

I think a lot of what Armstrong said through the whole conference was dead on.

Reactions: Novacain and kruz12

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
I actually didn't think it was a bad press conference at all. What do want him to say? That he's trading Jake Allen at all costs or something? Come on.

I think a lot of what Armstrong said through the whole conference was dead on.
I guess I was expecting some kind of answer to any of the question but everything felt deflected but I guess it is unreasonable to expect concrete answer this early.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I guess I was expecting some kind of answer to any of the question but everything felt deflected but I guess it is unreasonable to expect concrete answer this early.

I guess that's where we'll have to disagree. I think Army answered as honestly as he could on all the questions. He's not going to publicly bash any players and nor should he.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I used to get really worked up over these things. Took me too long to realize a few things:

1) Armstrong will never intentionally say anything of substance
2)Anything of substance he accidentally says has a 99% chance of being total bull and most likely will be completely contradicted by his next interview/conference or by his actions.
3) Anytime he ever let anything slip that mattered, it probably ended up hurting the team (tipping hand with Shattenkirk possibly lowered his trade value). So its best he stick with #1.

He's not getting fired, so I will wait until I see his actions in the off-season to get too pissed.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm actually very confident he will add a couple scorers in the top 6. Combine that with Fabbri coming back, and Thomas making the team along with maybe one of Blais/Thompson and we should be a lot better. That would be a good lineup.

Yeah I'm not an Allen fan but let's fix the offense first and build a legit roster. Then we can look at the goaltending later.

I have some optimism. I've been an Armstrong critic in the past but to me, he's showing a lot more ability in terms of targeting legit offensive help in the recent past. We have gone from acquiring the likes of Paajarvi, Stewart, Brouwer, etc to being linked to Hall, Drouin, Hoffman in rumor mills and bringing in Schenn. That's progress.

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
can't recall with exact certainty the verbiage used in prior pressers but he did point blank that next year is a big year for: jake, special teams, yeo, coaches, himself, etc, etc. I just don't recall him being as abrupt with a "put up or shut up" message.

I'm not sure what I wanted to hear. Being out of the playoffs says enough. They were not good. It has been two seasons now where they are not high line competitive which, as stated, goes against the potential and expectations created over the past 6ish years.

I'm going to wait and see what types of adjustments are made over the summer, big or small, and we'll just have to see how the 2018-2019 team looks and plays this fall...

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I wanted to hear him say that the front office is dedicated to winning the Cup, has made mistakes and is making efforts not only to correct them but to ice a team who can contend. Until I hear that, all Armstrong and the rest of the front office is, is background noise.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I wanted to hear him say that the front office is dedicated to winning the Cup, has made mistakes and is making efforts not only to correct them but to ice a team who can contend. Until I hear that, all Armstrong and the rest of the front office is, is background noise.

And he didn't say that? He said he knows this city is starved for a championship. He said missing the playoffs is devastating and he puts the blame on himself. He also talked about free agency and trades to improve the team for next year. That pretty much hits all your points, correct?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I guess this is as good a place to say it, since he confirmed he reads the blogs/social media here. Hey, Doug. Sorry if you've seen me call for your job.

I have and I'm not. Thank you for your service, but kindly tender your letter to Stillman before the end of the playoffs.

On a side note, did he actually say he reads here as in HF Blues? Is he Ranksu and just trolling us? Or Dizee...no, if he was, he'd have been able to predict how bad some of those contracts turned out.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hey what was Army's answer in 20:15 mark about,do you have confidents on Jake's being #1 goaltender,Army said some thing about next years is ????? welll next year is ????? year all of us.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Hey what was Army's answer in 20:15 mark about,do you have confidents on Jake's being #1 goaltender,Army said some thing about next years is ????? welll next year is ????? year all of us.

"Next year's a huge year for him, like next year's a huge year for all of us. You know, skaters, manager, coaches, trainers"

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I have and I'm not. Thank you for your service, but kindly tender your letter to Stillman before the end of the playoffs.

On a side note, did he actually say he reads here as in HF Blues? Is he Ranksu and just trolling us? Or Dizee...no, if he was, he'd have been able to predict how bad some of those contracts turned out.

He didn't name HF specifically, but he outright said that they go on social media and read stuff people post to get a pulse of the fanbase.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He didn't name HF specifically, but he outright said that they go on social media and read stuff people post to get a pulse of the fanbase.

Yea, I heard that. He said local blogs and social media. I was more thinking bleedin blue, gametime, JRs twitter feed and any #blues on twitter. I'd call this a fan site or a message board not a local blog or social media. That doesn't mean he doesn't read here. Its just not what I assumed when he said that.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Yea, I heard that. He said local blogs and social media. I was more thinking bleedin blue, gametime, JRs twitter feed and any #blues on twitter. I'd call this a fan site or a message board not a local blog or social media. That doesn't mean he doesn't read here. Its just not what I assumed when he said that.

Message boards definitely count as social media and HF is the biggest hockey one on the net. Guys in the business definitely know about it and will read here. Hell, Bob MacKenzie personally cussed someone out on here once.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I'm always hopeful for upcoming seasons, but I gotta wonder how things will play out.

Did Yeo get to see the impact of JBo on petro vs when it was Eddy? It's not like it was even a secret. If he didn't notice that's an issue, and if he did notice and didn't adjust usage that's an even bigger deal

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Now watched the media press. I liked it. All in all very good and promising thinking progress. They said right words about powerplay (Yeo blaming it was on him and they will fix it), what TDL moves right or not and stick with those and blaimed themselves about not getting playoffs. Looks like Army and Yeo wants Brodziak back what is good, but Hutton guestion wasn't that hopefull. Could be that Hutton is asking too much and what they see about Husso. Bit shame we didn't give the kiddo change to show what he's made of in NHL level, it could have give more realistic opinion do we need Hutton.

Its quite sure that Army will keep Allen for another year. I don't buy that we did trade away Lehterä and that Allen is also going away. But I could see one of guys like Berglund or Sobotka could be out.

We should discuss about Steen too. I think he has lose his step or even more. He has still 3-years left from his contract. He has been mine one of Blues player, but currently he's almost fighting the spot with Berglund. (oh another superBswed), but could there be problem with Steen and his captaincy and chemistry with some players?

Btw note for when Allen give Parayko 'the stare', could Allen be the problem in locker room?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
For Armstrong's sake, he would actually be doing himself a favor by only reading this board. I don't think you'll get a more thoughtful bag of opinions from the loyal fans than here.

Because on twitter... Man there's some stupid crap on there. I don't really pay attention to many guys on there but I can probably count on one hand the amount of users that tweet about the Blues a lot who seem to know what they're actually talking about.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I was on a fan of his attitude at the presser. Very honest without giving away his exact plans this summer. When Hitch was coach, people wanted to miss the playoffs so it’d open Army’s eyes. Well here we are, and I think he’s gonna have a big offseason again.

If we improve our forward group by a good amount, I’m okay with giving Allen one more go. However, I’d be a fan of a deal for Schneider. I think he’d be a great fit with our play style.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Doug Armstrong to his fan base "We understand your frustration, We share your frustration, and we'll do something about your frustration"

That was the most important part of the press conference and I look forward to seeing changes.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And if he said that, people would say he's being disengenuouis.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I'm actually very confident he will add a couple scorers in the top 6. Combine that with Fabbri coming back, and Thomas making the team along with maybe one of Blais/Thompson and we should be a lot better. That would be a good lineup.

Yeah I'm not an Allen fan but let's fix the offense first and build a legit roster. Then we can look at the goaltending later.

I have some optimism. I've been an Armstrong critic in the past but to me, he's showing a lot more ability in terms of targeting legit offensive help in the recent past. We have gone from acquiring the likes of Paajarvi, Stewart, Brouwer, etc to being linked to Hall, Drouin, Hoffman in rumor mills and bringing in Schenn. That's progress.

Was going backwards and bringing back Perron progress? Was the wasted rental for a proven flop in Yakupov progress? Was Beau Bennett progress? Was bringing back Sobotka progress?

Armstrong had one foot in the door to get Taylor Hall, who at the time had 4 more years at a bargain priced cap of 6M and Army walks away from the deal because it was a no go by Shatty? Sorry, but if you got the inside track to get Taylor Hall, then redirect the deal and offer Parayko. I'm sure something could of gotten worked out there. How often do you get the chance to get an elite forward like that? Tunnel vision. That's how Army operates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad