The Amazing "We Blue It" Press Conference 4/10/19

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I know we just got back on track so I apologize before hand and now am going to put my foot in my mouth for the mods but we're(not really plural) complaining about signings but make no mention of upshall and expecially brodziak making nothing (sorry guys)
Not really a part of this conversation, but Upshall was cheap because nobody (including the Blues) was interested in signing him during the offseason. He was on a PTO with Vancouver until the Blues signed him 2 weeks into training camp because the injuries were piling up.

It's not something that I really consider to be a significant plus in Armstrong's column. He just signed a guy that nobody wanted because he needed a body and Upshall was a logical choice, given how far into camp they already were (there was just four days left before the start of the season), and given that he played with the team the previous year so he was already familiar with the team/system/coach, etc.

The Blues certainly got their money's worth out of Brodziak, though.

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
So take out this year was his contract the same last year? My point is these depth signings are all 50 50 for as many that didn't work out that we curse Armstrong for he makes the same that goes unnoticed thanks to a certain agenda

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
I love the phrase "personal attack" to describe someone hilariously, and accurately, recapping a conversation with emojis.

Reactions: Novacain

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I was actually excited about the prospect of seeing what people thought about Yeo and Army’s responses, as there is a lot we could talk about. I was going to post my thoughts about the conference, but after reading this thread I feel extremely uninspired. It’s sort of like, why waste the time?

Reactions: Shwabeal

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was actually excited about the prospect of seeing what people thought about Yeo and Army’s responses, as there is a lot we could talk about. I was going to post my thoughts about the conference, but after reading this thread I feel extremely uninspired. It’s sort of like, why waste the time?
I for one, appreciate and value your input. I hope you continue to post. We are all heartbroken, and more than a little touchy. Everything needs to be read in that context.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Didn't want to start a whole thread for this and this seemed like an end of year thread.

I like to look at the cost per point (or Win) that the Blues get for the cap they spend. I don't personally think if a player costs way more per point they contribute than the team average necessarily means they are a waste of cap space. Injuries (see JBo) can skew the numbers a lot. I do appreciate players that provide value by costing less than the average on the team. Brodziak provided a lot of value, somewhat due to the circumstances presented. If Stastny had not been traded, his value would not have been so high.

cD46Kxc.png

Red font denotes an ELC player
Cap Hit is equal to the 'Accumulated Daily Cap Hit' from CapFriendly.com
Players traded away are not accounted for
A true stack ranking would account for the whole league and comparing players who play the same position.
First off, this is a post worth discussing. It brings information we have yet to discuss and could spark some interesting conversation about player value and the quality of contracts handed out by our GM.

Personally, I think this belongs in a separate thread for a few reasons. The content doesn’t especially fit the conference theme. I also believe it is getting lost in this thread, which is a shame. It seems to offer some promise. In my mind, this is a topic that should (at least I would hope) garner enough discussion that it would need its own thread.

Hopefully that doesn’t come off as critical, rather a motivating recommendation.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
A brief interview with Army today:

Thanks for posting this interview. The tone comparison from this interview to the conference was interesting. It seemed Army was more candid during the interview. It could be that the different arena helped. Maybe it was the questions. Micklas (sp?), isn’t someone that I enjoy for Blues coverage, but he does do solid interviews due to the fact that he can get people to speak more deeply on certain subjects.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe now is a better time for my review...

On Stats

I like that Army is focused on the analytical side of the game. He is looking at records, win percentage, scoring changes, goals, and other trends. He should be dong this all the time and I would have to assume he does. But, I cannot remember a time where he discussed this in the past. The transparency, if you will, is semi-refreshing.
Team Identity
Yeo says the team is built on checking, physicality and scoring goals the right way. Umm, is it built that way? I don’t recall much in the way of scoring the high danger goals he suggested. We checked at times, but needed greater consistency. Physicality? We were near the top of the league in hitting, but I doubt we are considered heavy around the league. I think we are still looking to find our identity. What that ends up being is completely oblivious to me.
Drop-off in Play
Yeo: We shifted focus on offense during our struggles, but became lax on defense and it cost us.
I guess this tells why our defense when to crap for such a long stretch. The coaching staff overcompensated and everyone lost focus on what generates offense…the forecheck and defense, plus transitions.
Army: Had perception of an elite organization. But no longer viewed that day. Mindset is different on the road. Better prep on the road. Play a tougher game on the road. Make the game miserable. At home it seems like we will win an easy game. We didn’t play an intimidating game. Formula for success didn’t work this year. Consistency was missing.
Basically we have to be better at home and play a road style game in order to do so. But, I wonder what the players are thinking or not thinking about that causes such a lull in our home play. The half joke about making them stay in hotels for home games was sort of odd. Even if it’s a joke, it seems like they have no clue what happened.
Power Play
Yeo: is going to look at the rest of the league to see what they are doing. See what powerplays are working. He is self aware of the PP being bad in STL and MIN.
Team Composition
Army: Not everyone we need is here, but there are injured players and young guys with potential to fill holes. We have cap space and a willingness to spend. We are not a mid market team, because we spend to the cap. That isn’t true of all teams. There is a higher expectation this offseason. We are not viewed as elite. Wants to restore pride in the organization. 1st round pick allows us to get back into the market
Stating the obvious here, but he looks to be active to fill holes here shortly. Reading between the line, Tavares is certainly a player they will give a go.
Army on Current contracts: No trade contract doesn’t worry him. They will make a deal and then go to player and see what they say. As far as contracts, some of our players are not overpaid. You have to look across the league to see that.
Its hard to see whether or not see some of our “not overpaid” players as needing to be moved. There are a lot of way to read into a lot of this.
Army: Jbo and Gunnerson – Will be in training camp. Not that he is looking to move them. Has to count on them bouncing back, because nobody will take them coming off major injuries. Enough cap to be active for any player in the NHL.
Another nod toward a big fish?
Army: UFAs and RFAs, bad year to be a FA playing on a team that misses playoffs. Might need to go to arbitration.
I hope he doesn’t lowball our RFAs. I don’t want that coming to bite us in the ass.
Army -Brodziak – had a great year. Wants to see what he wants to do.
Certainly wouldn’t mind him coming back. He is good insurance for a guy that could slot into the 3rd line spot if/when injuries occur.
Army- AHL team – huge impact to have our own team. Couldn’t create the depth needed. Couldn’t sign players because we couldn’t guarantee where they would play. Our D depth was in rough shape. Got thin quick. It will better protect the big team and the prospects.
Seems to me like our GM should have done a better job of managing the situation. Fortunately, next year we have our own team, so things should get better.
Army- Character guys, do you want to add? Yes. We are missing that gritty leadership element. Robert Thomas is a high character guy, hopes it happens soon. Chipped away at that aspect that made us a good team.
So are we just hoping a rookie can fix that aspect or are we looking to bring in players that can as well? I wonder how much of this will become visible this offseason. Also how will this add to our identity?
Parayko can be a dominant player in the league, but didn’t see it enough. Need more on a night to night basis. Need to let him know he is still developing.
This was one of multiple times they talked about better supporting our players. So, I wonder how much of that was an issue this year.
Fabbri, still questions, but part of the conversation for the core
Yeo: Tage took some big steps. Some young guys didn’t. Dunn did. Barbashev did the year before. No mention of this year regarding Barbashev. Dunn’s minutes went up. He earned it. Need to make sure he doesn’t take a step backwards. Huge offseason. Don’t expect Dunn moves backwards.
Tage realized how hard the NHL was this year with the scoring drought. Have to do more than scoring goals. Huge offseason. Big potential.

Army: On Young Players
More younger players? 1-3 spots for young players, but cant be too many
Goaltending
Goaltending was 6,7 or 8th in goaltending. GA’s. Need to address peaks and valleys of individual plays. Peaks are high enough. Valleys need to elevate and level off.
1st 31 games GA went up 6 but winning percentage went down 30. Played on the razors edge.
Our goals masked the goals allowed and the problematic play, especially the 3rd period goals
Jake needs to be better. Carter had a very good season.
Have confidence in Jake. But next year is a big year.
Jake is coming back. Hutts maybe. Husso did well but this isn’t the league to learn in.
We are a good playoff team if areas outside of goaltending improve.
How can we better manage Jake? Also the bad stretch was compounded by lack of goal scoring, even I Jake was making mistakes. Team has to step up when goalie is struggling.
Carter has played very well. Will he want to be a #1 and be paid like that? How much money do we want to spend on goaltending?
Leadership: Not poor. But need to confirm. What can we do to accent that and make it better. Boston as an example of a winning culture. But one playoff can change all of that. Bringing in one player wont solve it. The room came together at the end of the year. It is a close group. Can never have enough leaders. Guys have won here in the past. Have the character, but we also didn’t make the playoffs. We have slipped. Have to show we can bounce back.
Biggest regret: Yeo-Altered practice and coached offense. Were scoring through teamwork and effort. The change in focus allowed their identity to slip. On the PP, overly relied on the top guys. Can have more accountability there. Cannot continue to role out top players just because. Doug- potential trades that were there. Were they worth moving two top prospects? This is on my shoulders. Doug takes ownership. Should we put the guys in a hotel at home. Should we have done that? Home record was not good enough. Need to make sure decisions made are not the easiest, but the best.
On Yeo and coaching staff – Yoe and Army are tied together.
On young coaches. Energy and freshness, but also lack of experiences. Will learn from it.

Reactions: brokeu91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad