The Amazing "We Blue It" Press Conference 4/10/19

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Was going backwards and bringing back Perron progress? Was the wasted rental for a proven flop in Yakupov progress? Was Beau Bennett progress? Was bringing back Sobotka progress?

Armstrong had one foot in the door to get Taylor Hall, who at the time had 4 more years at a bargain priced cap of 6M and Army walks away from the deal because it was a no go by Shatty? Sorry, but if you got the inside track to get Taylor Hall, then redirect the deal and offer Parayko. I'm sure something could of gotten worked out there. How often do you get the chance to get an elite forward like that? Tunnel vision. That's how Army operates.
Then our RHD is Pietro and stuff.... who's to say Parayko sniffs Hall? That's just a hypothetical

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
He didn't name HF specifically, but he outright said that they go on social media and read stuff people post to get a pulse of the fanbase.

I wonder if that's true. If they do then it's not working because Army has been Army for quite some time now. Will he finally throw some fastballs this off season instead of change ups? I'd like to see some.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
So then you lose Parayko and Shattenkirk. Brilliant!

And what do you have for scoring? You can't pass up an elite forward like Hall who is a Hart Trophy candidate this year. Especially with a contract term like that. As GM, I'd be willing to rework the defense until players like Dunn and Schmaltz were ready to step in. It would be worth it to get an elite player like Hall. You'd have Tarasenko on the 1st line and Hall on the 2nd line. Let's go!

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I thought it was a good press conference.

Two things I caught:

1) Jake to stay, next year is do or die for him'
2) At the TDL somebody wanted our two top prospects in a trade....Islanders and Tavares?

I liked Army's 2 minute opening and then going right to the Q&A.
I also liked the ending with recognizing the tragedy in Canada.
I liked Army's candor (as much as he can) and his realism.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
And what do you have for scoring? You can't pass up an elite forward like Hall who is a Hart Trophy candidate this year. Especially with a contract term like that. As GM, I'd be willing to rework the defense until players like Dunn and Schmaltz were ready to step in. It would be worth it to get an elite player like Hall. You'd have Tarasenko on the 1st line and Hall on the 2nd line. Let's go!
So you rob Peter to pay Paul. Brilliant. Hall plays on the second line with Lehtera and someone like Jaskin, Rattie, Berglund or Fabbri. He gets about as many goals as Backes and a a few more points than Steen. Of course our D is Bouwmeester, Petro, a young Edmunson and Gunnarsson, plus some rookie and Bortuzzo. Great, we score .25 goals per game more and allow .5 more.

Brilliant!

Reactions: DoubleK81

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I thought it was a good press conference.

Two things I caught:

1) Jake to stay, next year is do or die for him'
2) At the TDL somebody wanted our two top prospects in a trade....Islanders and Tavares?

I liked Army's 2 minute opening and then going right to the Q&A.
I also liked the ending with recognizing the tragedy in Canada.
I liked Army's candor (as much as he can) and his realism.

On the TDL, I’m assuming it was one of the top 4 forwards(Kyrou) and Walman. I’d also guess it was Dorian, who wouldn’t budge on his price even when adding our WPG pick.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He didn't name HF specifically, but he outright said that they go on social media and read stuff people post to get a pulse of the fanbase.

I hope he isn't reading the posts at the St. Louis Post Dispatch....good lord....asshat central.

I hope he comes here ("Hello DA!").

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
On the TDL, I’m assuming it was one of the top 4 forwards(Kyrou) and Walman. I’d also guess it was Dorian, who wouldn’t budge on his price even when adding our WPG pick.
Correct. It was Dorian who was on bath salts and was talking all crazy shit. DA seemed like he wanted to use that wording during the post TDL presser

Reactions: CaliBlues710

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
So Fabbri is training in Toronto. DA said he's putting in the work.

Question: bridge contract for next year to eval where he is at....
OR multi-year contract for less money than his peers due to the injury and the unknown?

The bridge is the small risk answer, but what if he has a great year after the bridge contract and asks for a lot more money? Then the multi-year contract for less money was the better option (in the team's perspective).

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Was going backwards and bringing back Perron progress? Was the wasted rental for a proven flop in Yakupov progress? Was Beau Bennett progress? Was bringing back Sobotka progress?

Armstrong had one foot in the door to get Taylor Hall, who at the time had 4 more years at a bargain priced cap of 6M and Army walks away from the deal because it was a no go by Shatty? Sorry, but if you got the inside track to get Taylor Hall, then redirect the deal and offer Parayko. I'm sure something could of gotten worked out there. How often do you get the chance to get an elite forward like that? Tunnel vision. That's how Army operates.
Your choice of comparisons don't make a lot of sense.

Who's to say that had the Blues traded for Hall, they wouldn't have signed Beau Bennett or brought back Sobotka? Or who's to say they wouldn't have traded a 3rd rounder for Yakupov, or at least entertained the idea? Perron probably wouldn't have been signed, but that was a move done after Hall was traded, so it's irrelevant to the point anyways. Besides which, Perron was 5th on the team in scoring, so it's not like he wasn't useful.

From reading what you said, it sounds equivocal to someone yelling at a person for not buying a new car when that person went out and bought a steak. The two points don't have much to do with each other because both are mutually exclusive. One could have been done with or without the other.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
So you rob Peter to pay Paul. Brilliant. Hall plays on the second line with Lehtera and someone like Jaskin, Rattie, Berglund or Fabbri. He gets about as many goals as Backes and a a few more points than Steen. Of course our D is Bouwmeester, Petro, a young Edmunson and Gunnarsson, plus some rookie and Bortuzzo. Great, we score .25 goals per game more and allow .5 more.

Brilliant!
Have you payed any attention to him this year at all? He is 40 points higher than their second highest scorer, a 19 year old rookie.... on a team that only has one 50 point player (other than Hall) and two 40 point players... It wouldn't matter who Hall played with on this team, he would've scored. He is the only reason that team is in the playoffs this year, so you're not really giving Hall the credit he deserves. Not saying I would've traded Parayko for Hall at that time, but the trade would've made sense.

Reactions: Bluesguru

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Have you payed any attention to him this year at all? He is 40 points higher than their second highest scorer, a 19 year old rookie.... on a team that only has one 50 point player (other than Hall) and two 40 point players... It wouldn't matter who Hall played with on this team, he would've scored. He is the only reason that team is in the playoffs this year, so you're not really giving Hall the credit he deserves. Not saying I would've traded Parayko for Hall at that time, but the trade would've made sense.
What does what he did this year in New Jersey have to do with what he might have done in St. Louis a couple of years ago? You say it wouldn’t have mattered who he played with, he would have scored yet, in Edmonton, he topped 25 goals only twice and never topped 30. He had two seasons over 55 points in Edmonton. Perhaps he would have exploded or, perhaps, he would have kept getting injured and scoring 20 to 25 goals and 50 to 60 points,

Would I have liked to have Hall? Absolutely. Would I have been willing to put us in a situation where we would have both Parayko and Shattenkirk gone? Nope, as it would have been a step backwards.

Reactions: DoubleK81

kruz12

Apr 4, 2018
Sounded like theyll be counting on thomas thompson kyrou and fabbri to step up next year and start making an impact , pretty curious for what the offseason will bring

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Parayko's value was super high at that time.

That's impossible to know. I'm sure his value was really high on here due to him being a darling to fans. He's literally every "potential dwellers" wet dream. 6'6", highly mobile, heavy shot. That being said, Id bet there is a chance that for someone as solidified as Hall was people may have valued Shattenkirk (a proven elite PPQB and puck mover) as higher value and a way to jump start an offense. Good chance someone wants to know what they're getting as opposed to hoping for the best, especially when their job is on the line.

So Fabbri is training in Toronto. DA said he's putting in the work.

Question: bridge contract for next year to eval where he is at....
OR multi-year contract for less money than his peers due to the injury and the unknown?

The bridge is the small risk answer, but what if he has a great year after the bridge contract and asks for a lot more money? Then the multi-year contract for less money was the better option (in the team's perspective).

If I'm Fabbri I'm asking for a 1m 1 year contract. If I'm the team I'm wanting 2 years at 1m or so. Willing to bet he plays on a year on a cheap contract to establish and prove his value more accurately. This is his living we're talking about.

Sounded like theyll be counting on thomas thompson kyrou and fabbri to step up next year and start making an impact , pretty curious for what the offseason will bring

I took it the other way. I do believe he is giving them strong consideration, but I do remember at one point he said something along the lines of he's not so sure bringing up a bunch of young guys is the way to get the team to the level they want and need to be at. I may have misheard though.

I thought overall it was a pretty good presser for what it seems Army is capable of. As for Yeo, not so much. He stated along the lines of on the powerplay relying on their top guys because they were too guys for too long and hopes to change that.

Well no shit Micheal I think anyone who watched a majority of the games in the last 20 or so games could tell you that the powerplay without Tarasenko and with Dunn and Pietrangelo on the points and Steen and Schenn switching off net fronts was leagues better than the idea of passing around the perimeter and having Tarasenko go rover from the point to try and force a shot. Is it that ridiculous to expect a coach in the highest league in the world to I don't know maybe make a damn adjustment before the season is trashed??

I mean seriously I'm willing to bet we see the same stubbornness and unwillingness to make adjustments and not defer to the players who are getting paid the most. Pushing Bouwmeester out on the top pairing when clearly he is hampering the team is just another example.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What? Just go point wise comparasion Parayko was easily better then Larsson and clearly you saw he was going to be better then what he was, potential to be real #1 RHD. After that Parayko has outproduce Larsson in every season and Parayko tied his season high with points 35 points.

I haven't watch Larson play, but him getting icetime with McDavid and assume he gets also best o-zone starts, those points are just bad. Maybe I'll give advance to Larsson for defending better?

I don't know would I trade Parayko for Hall even knowing how good Hall has become, but Parayko is the guy which Edmonton would be thrilled to get compare to Larsson. Parayko is the guy who would go for when target future #1 RHD, but our need is 1c so same type of like Seth Jones <-> Ryan Johansen should be hard push by Army not 1RW or 1LW

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I have a question regarding Tarasenko. He seemed off all season, his shot just wasn't there and it was not very accurate. Is it possible he had a shoulder injury all season and the injury he received against the Avs was just the shoulder finally giving out? I mean, maybe I am trying to be positive here but it would make sense and if he gets fixed up the way Berglund did then he could be back with a nasty vengeance next year...right?

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I have a question regarding Tarasenko. He seemed off all season, his shot just wasn't there and it was not very accurate. Is it possible he had a shoulder injury all season and the injury he received against the Avs was just the shoulder finally giving out? I mean, maybe I am trying to be positive here but it would make sense and if he gets fixed up the way Berglund did then he could be back with a nasty vengeance next year...right?

I highly doubt it. Shooters miss the net often. Tarasenko has always missed the net often. When you're scoring less than usual for whatever reason, those missed shots stick in fans' minds more than in previous years. He wasn't less accurate this year, he was less open. That's what happens when you have only 1 scoring line and you're the only guy who can score 30 goals on your team.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Tarasenko's tailspin also happened after Ari passed away, I honestly believe that was a contributing factor to Tarasenko's season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->