The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
my favorite rangers bar is closed due to moving to a new location in Williamsburg. It's been a great struggle the last couple of months but now I really need a place to watch after trying several dives in the area.

are there Rangers bars in the city that are not by MSG that are located more LES/EAST VILLAGE?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
my favorite rangers bar is closed due to moving to a new location in Williamsburg. It's been a great struggle the last couple of months but now I really need a place to watch after trying several dives in the area.

are there Rangers bars in the city that are not by MSG that are located more LES/EAST VILLAGE?

Kelly's is right on the border of the LES/East Village. Beer selection is just OK, but it's definitely a hockey bar. If better beer options are important to you I'd check out Standings in the East Village. It's a great sports bar in general but not a hockey bar in particular.

May 22, 2008
East Coast

Which bar is that? I've been looking for a place to watch games in Williamsburg/Bushwick.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Didn't realize it was such a big Rangers bar. I always went for NFL games.

One of the owners is a Rangers fan, the other bartenders Buffalo.
They hired a new guy who's a devils fan that we heckle.

We always get the game on the big screen with NYR sounds unless it's something crazy like college football or NFL. Then they would give us the back room and put on the sounds.

A season or two ago the place used to be packed with rangers fans - I don't know if the bar fell on hard times or people were fair-weather but it's still a good spot.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm travelling to Seattle for work in October/November and on my way back home, I'm thinking of visiting NYC as well. Can anyone point me into the direction of good but affordable places to stay? Before starting a whole investigation, someone on here might be able to assist.

useref15

Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
Wow! This is awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much GG

Also another good option would be Hotwire or Priceline. With Hotwire, you can choose the area and star rating you want to stay in, and get it for a good price. You don't know the name of the hotel until you book though. Should either do that or the Priceline name your own price.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Looking for some good food/restaurant suggestions. I'll be staying near Times Square, so a few suggestions within walking distance and few suggestions worth traveling to would be greatly appreciated.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Hey guys,

I'm travelling to Seattle for work in October/November and on my way back home, I'm thinking of visiting NYC as well. Can anyone point me into the direction of good but affordable places to stay? Before starting a whole investigation, someone on here might be able to assist.

Check Groupon frequently. There are a lot of deals on NYC hotels, and they usually let you use them 3-4 months in the future. As an example (below), this is a Hilton in the Financial District for $119 a night, and can booked on dates into September.

Just monitor the deals- you can buy one this summer and stash until you know your exact dates.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-new-york-city-financial-district-1

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Check Groupon frequently. There are a lot of deals on NYC hotels, and they usually let you use them 3-4 months in the future. As an example (below), this is a Hilton in the Financial District for $119 a night, and can booked on dates into September.
Those are a scam

The price advertised is usually for a random Sunday night, and any night you would actually want turns out to be $250+

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
What is your budget? Type of food you like?

Not huge on Mexican or seafood, but anything else works. BBQ and Italian would be my safe bets. Not really looking for a high end restaurant where you're expected to be in suit and tie, but at the same time I'm not looking to save a buck if the food is sketchy.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
Not huge on Mexican or seafood, but anything else works. BBQ and Italian would be my safe bets. Not really looking for a high end restaurant where you're expected to be in suit and tie, but at the same time I'm not looking to save a buck if the food is sketchy.

Here are a few recommendations I recently shared with a friend visiting NYC:

Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. Worth the trek. Generous portions, friendly service, good brisket and ribs. The sides are great, especially the sweet potatoes with spicy peanuts and the collard greens.

Ippudo in Midtown West. The wait gets long, but the high end ramen here is awesome so try to go during off-peak times. Some of the newer ramen places in the East Village are supposed to be better, but this place is more conveniently located if you'll be in Times Square.

Pizza King in Midtown East. This is a good place to grab a slice or two while you walk around. It's not the best pizza around (in my opinion, that requires going to Queens or Brooklyn), but it's pretty legit NYC-style pizza. And the owner is very nice.

Thai Son in Chinatown. Cheap, authentic Vietnamese food. The place ain't pretty, but the food is delicious.

Jing Fong in Chinatown. Good dim sum, but avoid it on a Sunday since quality drops when it gets so busy.

Have fun, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want more suggestions.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Which bar is that? I've been looking for a place to watch games in Williamsburg/Bushwick.

If you're looking for a place in Williamsburg Croxleys just opened up. Much better than the LI locations, they actually have a ton of micro-breweries there. If near Greenpoint I tend to catch the games at Red Star on Greenpoint ave.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Looking for some good food/restaurant suggestions. I'll be staying near Times Square, so a few suggestions within walking distance and few suggestions worth traveling to would be greatly appreciated.

BXL in Time Square is pretty good Belguim food. The District Tap house has some very unique bar food (such as qual bbq wings, duck sliders etc...) and an amazing tap list. Also they tend to play the NYR games there on game nights.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007

Rose Pizza and Pasta right in Penn Station!

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY

Here are a few recommendations I recently shared with a friend visiting NYC:

Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. Worth the trek. Generous portions, friendly service, good brisket and ribs. The sides are great, especially the sweet potatoes with spicy peanuts and the collard greens.

Definitely recommend taking the trip to Harlem to go to Dinosaur. Maybe my favorite restaurant in Manhattan.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yeah, Dinosaur is just ok IMO also. Not worth the trek or inflated cost.

Hill Country is good, but I'd recommend Mighty Quinn's on E 6th and 2nd ave, or BrisketTown in South Williamsburg.

Quinns for regular bbq, BrisketTown for brisket and pork shoulder obv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad