The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Coming to NYC in May for the first time. Any underrated tourist attractions you'd recommend? (Aside from the major ones)

Literally hundreds...

Do you have a particular category you would want to narrow it down to? Museums, music venues, parks, walking tours, shopping, etc?

Also, the Mets play the dodgers when we're there. What are the games/stadium like?

Easy to access via transit, modern, safe.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
Everyone I know who still plays frequently plays at Chelsea.

The 1, C, and E trains will all put you within a couple of blocks.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. Looks like I'll be starting in the 4-4 league there in June. Let me know if anyone here plays. Would be fun to get a crew together for some beers after the games.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!

I know there are games at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, which is only a few subway stops away from you if you're downtown.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
Literally hundreds...

Do you have a particular category you would want to narrow it down to? Museums, music venues, parks, walking tours, shopping, etc?

Easy to access via transit, modern, safe.

Not really into guided tours, maybe museums, definitely parks and shopping. Anything sports related aswell.

McDunna with Fries

Apr 9, 2012
Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

Things like skating sessions, discounts to Wolfpack games are offered.

10% is back this year!

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Not really into guided tours, maybe museums, definitely parks and shopping. Anything sports related aswell.

I really like Kane One's suggestion to walk around an area you like and experience everything on foot.

Sports options will be somewhat limited at the time of year you intend to visit.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Also, the Mets play the dodgers when we're there. What are the games/stadium like?[/QUOTE]

Citifield is one of the nicest Stadiums in MLB. The Dodgers always draw decent when they come to NYC but with the Mets being down there will be plenty of good seats available. If you are staying in Manhattan the 7 train takes you right to Citifield.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Also, the Mets play the dodgers when we're there. What are the games/stadium like?

Citifield is one of the nicest Stadiums in MLB. The Dodgers always draw decent when they come to NYC but with the Mets being down there will be plenty of good seats available. If you are staying in Manhattan the 7 train takes you right to Citifield.[/QUOTE]

Spend a few extra dollars and take the LIRR.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
Citifield is one of the nicest Stadiums in MLB. The Dodgers always draw decent when they come to NYC but with the Mets being down there will be plenty of good seats available. If you are staying in Manhattan the 7 train takes you right to Citifield.

Spend a few extra dollars and take the LIRR.[/QUOTE]

Nothing beats taking the 7 train back to NYC after a big Mets win !

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
What does "promenade box" mean in regard to booking mets tickets?

There's the upper deck, then the one below is the promenade box deck. Under that is a suite level, under that is the excelsior/caesar's level deck, and under that is field level

citifield%20236.jpg

LORENZO

Jan 1, 2014
Does it give you access to beer/food that you couldn't get via the upper deck?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
In NYC for the night with a buddy, staying near MSG, can anyone tell us of any highend club/bars that are good tonight, in our 20's.

Thanks

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Hi there,

Mr. NYC honey moon here again. We know it's a long shot, but were going to try and get tickets for a taping of The Tonight Show while we are there. Does anyone know how long in advance those tickets are made available? I am expecting a five minute window once they are out, so I want to be prepared.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad