The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
This thread has reached it's limit. How can we reformat the new one so that's more user friendly? Is there a way to gather the great info throughout the thread and condense it into the opening post for visitors?

Hmm, maybe a link section dedicated to bars and restaurants recommended by NYR fans in this thread?

In fact, maybe detailed link sections for a bunch of predetermined categories: bars (maybe broken down further into NYR bars and just good NYC bars in general), restaurants, tourist attractions, NYC events (US Open, NYC Marathon, etc.), transportation (train/bus schedules and fares, taxis, airports), hotels/lodging, and more.

I'm sure we could make this thread a place where not just tourists could come, but even native NYers looking for something new that they never even knew existed.

It would be a TON of work for someone to take on and comb through all 40 pages of this thread, but I think the results would be awesome. I would be willing to try and put something together, but it would probably take me a few weeks based on my hectic workload.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
1) Be prepared to pay out the nose for playoff tickets. I'm not a season ticket holder, but from what little I have read, prices for playoff tickets go up pretty significantly (somewhere in the neighborhood of 30% I read somewhere, could be, and most likely am, wrong though). I could be way off base, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 300 level seats go for at least $200 on the secondary market.

2) I can say that, without having been to a ton of NYR bars in Manhattan, I really love http://www.stoutnyc.com. It's really close to MSG, and they cater to NYR fans both before and after the game. Pretty good food, decent prices for Manhattan, and an absolutely AWESOME selection of beer (that's the kicker for me, personally)!

3) I always like going on brewery tours when I visit a city. I haven't gone to the Brooklyn Brewery yet, so I can't attest to whether or not it's good, but I always have fun learning about the brewing process and tasting some awesome beer. It might be worth looking into. The Bohemian Hall in Astoria is also pretty fun (food and drink are good, and cheap). You're probably noticing a pattern by now, but I am a huge beer enthusiast.

To answer number one, face value for the 400's is 68 for the first round so after the prices get marked up for individual prices and different fees from Ticketmaster, don't be surprised to see the cheapest being over a 100 each. Whenever the Rangers clinch a spot (assuming it does happen), playoff info should be released soon after. You're not gonna find cheap ones on the secondary market unless maybe you find tickets the day of on StubHub from people who desperately need to get rid of them and even then it'll probably be around individual face value.

Melrose_Jr.

Feb 27, 2002
Providence, RI
Visit site
Hmm, maybe a link section dedicated to bars and restaurants recommended by NYR fans in this thread?

In fact, maybe detailed link sections for a bunch of predetermined categories: bars (maybe broken down further into NYR bars and just good NYC bars in general), restaurants, tourist attractions, NYC events (US Open, NYC Marathon, etc.), transportation (train/bus schedules and fares, taxis, airports), hotels/lodging, and more.

I'm sure we could make this thread a place where not just tourists could come, but even native NYers looking for something new that they never even knew existed.

It would be a TON of work for someone to take on and comb through all 40 pages of this thread, but I think the results would be awesome. I would be willing to try and put something together, but it would probably take me a few weeks based on my hectic workload.

Yah, that's what I was thinking. I like the way the Flyers forum has it organized: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=408887

I'll put up a new thread later, link the old one, then have the option to edit the opening post as we pull the info together, piece by piece.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The Brooklyn Brewery isn't real big so a tour seems a bit odd there, although they do give tours. I've gone there several times because I like the beer. Often you can get something on tap there that you normally would not be able to get elsewhere. If you like Brooklyn Brewery beers, it's worth a trip. If you're looking for a big brewery with bottle being filled and capped, this isn't the place (you'll need to go to Utica for that). Good place to drink their beers and order-in pizza.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Heading down later today on the Fung Wah (pray for me) for the B's game tomorrow. Staying with friends in Brooklyn, one of which is a Brooklyn native so knows NYC very well but she's not really a hockey fan. Any suggestions for good hockey bars around the arena? Our friends will be at work tomorrow so we'll be exploring the city on our own -- we go to NYC pretty regularly, but never for a hockey game or with a hockey agenda. I read about the Flying Puck online, seems like our kind of place, but any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Going to New York in a week or two. Hoping to get tickets for a game but that's probably not possible so do you reckon that the games would be on the local tv etc, as the first day we're out there we are going to a Wendy's Diner. Any chance it would be on TV?

Easton

Aug 7, 2005
Anyone know of a site or forum where people are offering Yankees tickets for face value?

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
This information is probably out there in this thread somewhere, but I was wondering if people had suggestions on some iconic New York things to do when visiting Manhattan for a few days (later this week). We're staying near the Empire State Building, but as I recall (from many years ago) the public transportation system would get us wherever we needed to go.

If you had just three days, what would be key for you (and where would you eat)? What defines New York for you?

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
This information is probably out there in this thread somewhere, but I was wondering if people had suggestions on some iconic New York things to do when visiting Manhattan for a few days (later this week). We're staying near the Empire State Building, but as I recall (from many years ago) the public transportation system would get us wherever we needed to go.

If you had just three days, what would be key for you (and where would you eat)? What defines New York for you?

I always love going to these two places. Go to Mandarin Court, in Chinatown, which is right off Canal on Mott St. Don't order off the menu, just pick the food on the carts. While there, I always like to barter on Canal St for a little bit. After that walk over to Little Italy which is just a few blocks away. Go to Ferrara's for some very good gelato, which is between Mott & Mulberry.

If you're here for saturday, I'd try to get tickets to the Ranger game. Gonna be a great atmosphere.

Mr Atoz*

I always love going to these two places. Go to Mandarin Court, in Chinatown, which is right off Canal on Mott St. Don't order off the menu, just pick the food on the carts. While there, I always like to barter on Canal St for a little bit. After that walk over to Little Italy which is just a few blocks away. Go to Ferrara's for some very good gelato, which is between Mott & Mulberry.

If you're here for saturday, I'd try to get tickets to the Ranger game. Gonna be a great atmosphere.

Don't buy anything on Canal Street unless you have a.... yen for counterfeit merchandise.

It would probably be helpful if people gave some idea what their budget is when asking for things to do. Unless you have no choice, don't come to NYC for cheap. New York is famous for the best of almost everything. And that doesn't come cheap.

morffin

Sep 13, 2009
CT
www.mariomorgado.com
Don't buy anything on Canal Street unless you have a.... yen for counterfeit merchandise.

It would probably be helpful if people gave some idea what their budget is when asking for things to do. Unless you have no choice, don't come to NYC for cheap. New York is famous for the best of almost everything. And that doesn't come cheap.

yes but it is also a city where you can put 20 bucks in your pocket and have a great afternoon walking around looking at the sites and the people.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Leaving for New York tomorrow, anything that I must see? Anything NHL wise is good but generally any attractions.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Leaving for New York tomorrow, anything that I must see? Anything NHL wise is good but generally any attractions.

Damn, I'm jealous.

Going to the observation deck of the Empire State Building is something I would've done right away. The Liberty Statue too. Even walking the streets of 6th or 7th Avenue must be special.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Yeah, we're passing the Liberty and going to the rock. Seeing WSH vs NYR on the 18th as well. :yo:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Hey guys, I have been to Penn Station more than my fair share of times, but one thing I don't know off the top of my head is the location of the LIRR in relation to NJTransit. In the best interest of time, I want to get the first possible LIRR train possible, so I don't have to wait at Penn for an extra 30 minutes. Can anyone tell me where the LIRR terminus is in relation to NJT?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Hey guys, I have been to Penn Station more than my fair share of times, but one thing I don't know off the top of my head is the location of the LIRR in relation to NJTransit. In the best interest of time, I want to get the first possible LIRR train possible, so I don't have to wait at Penn for an extra 30 minutes. Can anyone tell me where the LIRR terminus is in relation to NJT?

If you walk down the stairs of the main entrance of Penn on 7th avenue near 31st street, right in front of the Garden, the LIRR terminal is on the right side after the newsstand. It's directly across from the NJ transit terminal, you can't miss it.

Kake

Dec 23, 2010
I'm a Finnish Bruins fan and in Intercontinental Time Square hotel, New York. I'm looking for a place to watch tonight's game. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad