The "All Things NYC" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I work in the city every day, commuting from Long Island (lol kill me, please). The prospect of having to spend a paycheck and then some on rent per month is astounding.

**** this city.

Would you really be paying that much more in the city though? Whenever I think about moving out to NJ or LI, the calculations come up just about even.

For example, if I moved out of NYC I'd have to make car payments/car insurance payments, as I have no need for a car where I am currently. That right there would almost make up the rent difference. Not to mention paying for the LIRR or NJ Transit on top of the Metro Card. When you start doing calculations, you might find yourself surprised at how little of a difference it would make.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Would you really be paying that much more in the city though? Whenever I think about moving out to NJ or LI, the calculations come up just about even.

For example, if I moved out of NYC I'd have to make car payments/car insurance payments, as I have no need for a car where I am currently. That right there would almost make up the rent difference. Not to mention paying for the LIRR or NJ Transit on top of the Metro Card. When you start doing calculations, you might find yourself surprised at how little of a difference it would make.

Depends on whether he's living on his own in LI.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You must be loving the LIRR :sarcasm:

If I ever needed to breed a super villain, I'd make him spend a day on a rush hour train from penn station to Long Island, or have him stand for an hour at the deli at my supermarket. Boy do people suck.

So on the one hand you want to die from the commute, but on the other hand you find the cost of living in NYC astounding. Hard to have your cake and eat it as they say. But yeah, I get you, prices are insane.

Very true. The city just really isn't for me. I mean, $1500 for rent in Manhattan (basically minimum) to live in a closet? No thanks. Sure, I could go to Brooklyn or Queens, I'm thinking about it, but I'm not all that convinced yet. Most days I think I'd be better off in a cheaper suburb outside NY, and definitely away from the NY Metro Area.

Depends on whether he's living on his own in LI.

Bingo, BB. Live with my parents rent free. Expenses are my metro card, LIRR ticket, cell phone, and student loans. That's it (even though it still totals higher than what some of my friends pay for rent per month in Buffalo, but I digress).

Last edited:

RUSF18

Nov 10, 2010
Bingo, BB. Live with my parents rent free. Expenses are my metro card, LIRR ticket, cell phone, and student loans. That's it (even though it still totals higher than what some of my friends pay for rent per month in Buffalo, but I digress).

I wasn't the one to respond but I also read your post as coming from someone older who was choosing to pay rent/mortgage on LI instead of living in Manhattan. Definitely the right approach for you, so good job. I spent my first two years out of college living at home and saving every penny I could before moving into NYC where I've been for the last 7 years. I had some student loans on top of what you were paying, but even making $50k-$60k for those first couple years, I was able to put away over $40K. Having that as a starting base was huge as even with making more money in the years since, you can never save as much as when you don't have a rent check to write every month.

NYRangers09

Dec 10, 2007
Where To Watch The Game?

Im trying to figure out a great spot in the city where I would be able to sit down and watch the game, rather than have to stand for 3 hours (being that me and J-Fine are so out of shape). I know the Rangers have that viewing parties list but I was wondering if you guys had any other spots. Really would appreciate ur expert opinions

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Thanks to everyone who responded in regards to moving to NYC. After weighing everything, I do believe I will make the jump...

Also another question that I'm sure I will ask again down the road when I'm actually there, settled, and have my gear shipped: what about roller hockey in Manhattan? I happened to see an outdoor rink somewhere along the East river when I was driving around. Are there any other rinks and do people typically gather enough for pick up games throughout the year? I'd love to be able to play when available.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Also, are the lines at Shake Shack truly indicative of how good they are? I didn't end up eating there, but I walked by two different Shake Shack's at least a few times and they were always lined up outside the door.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Also, are the lines at Shake Shack truly indicative of how good they are? I didn't end up eating there, but I walked by two different Shake Shack's at least a few times and they were always lined up outside the door.

No. In my opinion, you can get better burgers and shakes elsewhere. It's all about the name. I'm happy to make any food recommendations via PM.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Shake Shack is solid. But my personal rule is I won't wait on the line if it's outside the door. Good food, but not so amazing I'll wait more than 10 minutes to order.

MetalGodAOD*

There's Shake Shacks all over the city now, no need to wait in line at Madison or Times Square.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Attending a concert in October at MSG, and planning to stay at a hotel with parking in long Island/Queens near the subway lines. What would be the best hotels in that area around 200$ or less? I'm guessing the Subway is open 24/7?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Attending a concert in October at MSG, and planning to stay at a hotel with parking in long Island/Queens near the subway lines. What would be the best hotels in that area around 200$ or less? I'm guessing the Subway is open 24/7?

I don't know anything about hotels here, but the subway and the entire MTA is 24/7. Some subway lines aren't, though, but there's always another line you could take. Don't worry about that.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Go on Hotwire. They give you the general area and not the name of the hotel. You should be able to get a (4-star) good hotel for much less than 200.

GIANTRANGER11

Nov 12, 2013
New Jersey
Best Ranger bar near Yankee Stadium

So guys...I am hearing the game will be on Saturday at 1ish...I have tickets for Yankee Game that's at 4pm...Anybody know of bars near Yankee Stadium? Or any other recommendations for Bars in NYC?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
So guys...I am hearing the game will be on Saturday at 1ish...I have tickets for Yankee Game that's at 4pm...Anybody know of bars near Yankee Stadium? Or any other recommendations for Bars in NYC?

Might as well just find a bar near the 86th street subway and just jump on the express after the game is over, its a 15 minute ride to the stadium.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey guys.

My daughter's currently in NYC for a school trip for three weeks. Her facebook status right now is: New York Rules!!!1!" :laugh:

But seriously, she's there primarily to see plays on Broadway, off Broadway, and various other artsy-fartsy endeavors. She's seeing Raisin in the Sun with Denzel Washington, something with Michael C Hall in it, a host of other things...she went to Philly yesterday with some of her group to talk to set designers or something and she spent the night in Williamsburg. Had a moment of panic when I realized I had no idea where the hell my kid was.

Anyway, she's got the old standard touristy things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square on her map, but as I don't have several hours to leaf through 1000+ posts on the subject, any other thoughts on cool things for a bunch of kids in their early 20's to do in NYC are appreciated.

Oh, and nice job killing Pittsburgh.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Hey guys.

My daughter's currently in NYC for a school trip for three weeks. Her facebook status right now is: New York Rules!!!1!" :laugh:

But seriously, she's there primarily to see plays on Broadway, off Broadway, and various other artsy-fartsy endeavors. She's seeing Raisin in the Sun with Denzel Washington, something with Michael C Hall in it, a host of other things...she went to Philly yesterday with some of her group to talk to set designers or something and she spent the night in Williamsburg. Had a moment of panic when I realized I had no idea where the hell my kid was.

Anyway, she's got the old standard touristy things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square on her map, but as I don't have several hours to leaf through 1000+ posts on the subject, any other thoughts on cool things for a bunch of kids in their early 20's to do in NYC are appreciated.

Oh, and nice job killing Pittsburgh.

They will never run out of things to do in New York. Perhaps consult an online listing like this for more info. It's pretty comprehensive but digestible. http://wikitravel.org/en/Manhattan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->