Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Schultz, Murray Practice with Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So now we need a back-up goalie.

Jimmy, wake up and do something.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So now we need a back-up goalie.

Jimmy, wake up and do something.
Do you think this is how it works? He just dials a number and they give him what he wants? You seriously think that is what happens?

Why not wait for MRI/Xray results for Murray? And this isn't NHL 2018.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Do you think this is how it works? He just dials a number and they give him what he wants? You seriously think that is what happens?

Why not wait for MRI/Xray results for Murray? And this isn't NHL 2018.
He had all summer to find a back-up and decided to go with Niemi, which would have been shocking if he worked out. This isn’t hindsight, Murray has been injury prone during his career and this should have been dealt with before December.

Are we surprised Murray and Geno are hurt? I’m not, it was just a matter of time.

Reactions: farscape1

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Niemi absolutely would have been fine if he had played like a slightly below-average goalie, like he normally did, rather than one of the worst goalies the NHL had ever seen.

I'd think Jarry would be fine for 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He had all summer to find a back-up and decided to go with Niemi, which would have been shocking if he worked out. This isn’t hindsight, Murray has been injury prone during his career and this should have been dealt with before December.

Are we surprised Murray and Geno are hurt? I’m not, it was just a matter of time.

I can't tell anymore if you're actually serious or if this is the world's greatest prank account.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean IF the Cole deal ='s TOR just take back McElhinney too...obviously depending on if the $ works.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Niemi absolutely would have been fine if he had played like a slightly below-average goalie, like he normally did, rather than one of the worst goalies the NHL had ever seen.

I'd think Jarry would be fine for 2-4 weeks.
Well he was awful. This is a pretty weak statement. You can argue this about anyone.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
If it is indeed "only" 2-4 weeks, I can live with. Obviously, it still sucks. But based on how he looked skating off the ice, I wouldn't have been (and still wouldn't be, as there's been no official announcement) surprised.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It just gets old seeing people blindly defend Rutherford for everything. So now it takes GMs 5 months to find a friggin back-up goalie?
Got it.
But we have a backup; Jarry. If he wasn't here, I'm sure we would have looked a lot harder for a better backup this summer. But we wanted someone as cheap as we could find. And I'm sure some other backup options were hesitant to come here because of Jarry.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Can we talk about what a fantastic puck handler Jarry is? What a breath of fresh air. Murray isn't bad, but it's not a strength of his game. I'd say Jarry looks like the best puck handling goalie the Pens have had in a long time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
JR doesn't get any criticism from me for the goalie situation. He handled amazingly well last year (as did MAF and Murray) and we all knew it was going to tough to replace Fleury in the regular season. Niemi signing was a low risk, high reward as a guy trying to resurrect his career that was a veteran starter and won a Cup. Solid signing.

Not JR's fault he was historically bad. I suppose you could argue we should have seen it coming, but he was worse than anyone should reasonably expect IMO.

The only "mistake" was not claiming Pickard on waivers, but it's possible he can ask LL to throw him in a Bozak Cole swap if that's the route he wants to go.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why do we need a backup if he's only out 2-4 weeks?? Jarry can handle the load.
Goaltending depth is important. If you can get a former back up that is someone's number 3 right now, it's worth it. It gives you the option of sending back Jarry after Murray comes back so you can keep all 3 or you can waive and hope to slip the other goalie down.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I thought it could have been a season ending injury so I'm relieved that it's not.

I feel that Jarry has looked very poised in net so far.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I expect Murray to return around late January simply because this team's default is day to day, and for them to say week to week worries me. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

So you seriously think that's how it works. :biglaugh: Go you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln