Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Schultz, Murray Practice with Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, its going to be hard for the pens and every other team in the metro to make the playoffs this year.

I think most people would say CBJ are the best team in the division, Flyers probably the worst, but their isn't a gigantic difference between CBJ and Philly, so much parity right now in the metro.

How much have you watched CBJ?

They’re really not that impressive this season. Werenski, Atkinson and Panarin are all having worse seasons than last.

It’s pretty much Bobrovsky.

Reactions: td_ice

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Kinda hard to do. Ruhwedel can fill in as a bottom four defenseman which is basically Cole's role anyways. Archibald can go in for one of our crappy 4th liners, but it's not like you can reasonably insert him in for Hagelin (for example) and expect it to not be a net loss even with how bad Hags has struggled.

Now if we called up Sprong on the other hand then we could start putting our top 9's feet to the fire.

So get Archibald in over one of the 4th liners and Malkin could have been on IR to open a roster spot for Sprong, or just waive someone. It’s no time that hard to do if they were serious about accountability across the board.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So get Archibald in over one of the 4th liners and Malkin could have been on IR to open a roster spot for Sprong, or just waive someone. It’s no time that hard to do if they were serious about accountability across the board.

I'm as baffled as anyone as to why Sprong hasn't been called up. It's a weird situation.

I kinda wonder why Simon hasn't been given a look either. He's doing pretty well.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

They’re really not that impressive this season. Werenski, Atkinson and Panarin are all having worse seasons than last.

Not a ton, maybe 4 or 5 games.

Their advanced stats are pretty good.

We have seen with the Habs in the past that when you have the best goalie in the league your going to win a ton of games even if you have holes in your lineup.

And i actually think CBJ are better then most of those Habs teams with Price.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm as baffled as anyone as to why Sprong hasn't been called up. It's a weird situation.

I kinda wonder why Simon hasn't been given a look either. He's doing pretty well.

Apparently, Donatelli doesn't think Sprong is ready for the NHL. Teams have caught on to how he scores on the PP and he he hasn't been doing much at 5on5 the last several weeks. He has to adjust his game better.
I think the first call up should be Di Pauli, but either him or Simon has been playing well and it's worth a shot over Kuhn, Archi or Reaves IMO

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

It's Sullivan's job to ensure that the best players play meaning Sullivan is icing the line up that he feels gives the team the best chance to win. I think Rudwedel has been decent but not at the expense of Cole. Rudwedel over a Streit or Hainsey, I could see that. Cole? I can't. I didn't watch him like a hawk or anything but I was never aware of any consistently bad play that would warrant him getting scratched. In fact, I thought he's been a damn good and dependable dman for us. He's not a top end talent, but the talent he does bring is done so consistently. He's one of the few guys on the team that can lay a hit too.

One thing that I am thinking though is that I do think Rudwedel may be a better skater. With Maatta, Cole, and Hunwick you have half the defense that is not known for their smooth skating. Dumoulin is boarderline so that leaves Schultz and Letang and I think it's safe to say that both have struggled a little bit. So wanting to balance things out and put a better skater in place, I could see that. I would almost rather run 7D and 11 forwards.

So Cole is being held to a standard none of the other struggling veterans have been held to.

Right? Like I said, he's one that's brought a consistent game, skill level, and work ethic to every game. Some of those other guys...well...

Last game tonight :(

At least you picked a good one to go out on! Have fun!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's Sullivan's job to ensure that the best players play meaning Sullivan is icing the line up that he feels gives the team the best chance to win. I think Rudwedel has been decent but not at the expense of Cole. Rudwedel over a Streit or Hainsey, I could see that. Cole? I can't. I didn't watch him like a hawk or anything but I was never aware of any consistently bad play that would warrant him getting scratched. In fact, I thought he's been a damn good and dependable dman for us. He's not a top end talent, but the talent he does bring is done so consistently. He's one of the few guys on the team that can lay a hit too.

One thing that I am thinking though is that I do think Rudwedel may be a better skater. With Maatta, Cole, and Hunwick you have half the defense that is not known for their smooth skating. Dumoulin is boarderline so that leaves Schultz and Letang and I think it's safe to say that both have struggled a little bit. So wanting to balance things out and put a better skater in place, I could see that. I would almost rather run 7D and 11 forwards.

Right? Like I said, he's one that's brought a consistent game, skill level, and work ethic to every game. Some of those other guys...well...

At least you picked a good one to go out on! Have fun!
I thought thats what's Hunwick is known for. He seems to me a very smooth skater..

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Also. Tell the stores to stop selling rope. If Sprong is a one trick bust, people here are gonna end it all.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The thing that hurts Cole is that none of the pens left handed def can play the right side.

And Ruh has played well, so it makes sense to play him to have 3 right handed def in the lineup.

That means one of the left handed def have to come out of the lineup, out of Maatta Dumoulin Hunwick Cole i got no problem sitting Cole, its the right decision by Sully IMO.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I thought thats what's Hunwick is known for. He seems to me a very smooth skater..

Not like he's a bad skater. But I put him maybe a pinch above Cole.

Letang
Schultz
Dumoulin/Rudwedel
Hunwick
Cole
Maatta

would be my skaters ranking. Lots of people talk thought about the loss of Daley and his puck moving abilities. Hunwick doesn't replace Daley so we are at a net loss. Rudwedel I don't think offers the package that Daley did but like I said, I think he's better than Cole and Hunwick on the skating level. So if you want to boost speed and transition, Rudwedel in over Cole makes a tad bit of a sense even though I hate it.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing that hurts Cole is that none of the pens left handed def can play the right side.

And Ruh has played well, so it makes sense to play him to have 3 right handed def in the lineup.

That means one of the left handed def have to come out of the lineup, out of Maatta Dumoulin Hunwick Cole i got no problem sitting Cole, its the right decision by Sully IMO.
yep, this is what's happening I'm pretty sure. It's not Cole or Ruh, it's Cole or Hunwick right now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
yep, this is what's happening I'm pretty sure. It's not Cole or Ruh, it's Cole or Hunwick right now.

Which sucks for Cole, but imo it is the right decision. I've liked Hunwick's game better so far.

It's inevitable someone will get injured or start playing like crap so hopefully Cole can be patient. We could trade him as well and I'm sure there would be interest if we wanted to but our d depth would be terribly thin without him so I don't like that idea.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Honestly, anyone who isn’t someone like Sestito from WBS. Kuhnhackl, Reaves and Hagelin all have 3 points and only Hagelin has missed a game. McKegg has 4 points and Rowney has 2 points in 11 games. The PK is also cap so screw "but he PKs" as any reason. You just don’t keep playing those guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Which sucks for Cole, but imo it is the right decision. I've liked Hunwick's game better so far.

It's inevitable someone will get injured or start playing like crap so hopefully Cole can be patient. We could trade him as well and I'm sure there would be interest if we wanted to but our d depth would be terribly thin without him so I don't like that idea.
if we trade him, I would expect us to bring in a D rental shortly after.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Kuhn plays the role of Rob Scuderi at Forward while a faster guy sits in the press box. Fun times to be a fan

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kuhn plays the role of Rob Scuderi at Forward while a faster guy sits in the press box. Fun times to be a fan

30,000ft view, if Kuhnhackl is the player we have to worry about the most, we are in pretty good shape.

Problem is, we've collecting this abundance of 4th line players. Not good enough to make a night in night out impact but perhaps to valuable to lose. Kuhnhackl, Archibald, Rowney, McKegg. Reaves isn't going anywhere so...you have 4 players for 2 slots and they all suck. But...who do you keep and why? I'd like to waive someone like Rowney and call up a WBS guy and let them rotate in and out.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

That won’t hold up in the playoffs. He’s ****ing awful in the post season but to be fair he generally faces us.

Reactions: EightyOne

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not like he's a bad skater. But I put him maybe a pinch above Cole.

Letang
Schultz
Dumoulin/Rudwedel
Hunwick
Cole
Maatta

would be my skaters ranking. Lots of people talk thought about the loss of Daley and his puck moving abilities. Hunwick doesn't replace Daley so we are at a net loss. Rudwedel I don't think offers the package that Daley did but like I said, I think he's better than Cole and Hunwick on the skating level. So if you want to boost speed and transition, Rudwedel in over Cole makes a tad bit of a sense even though I hate it.
Hunwick is a very good skater. Maybe 2nd/3rd best among Pens Dmen. It's everything else that has been a question over his career.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
That won’t hold up in the playoffs. He’s ****ing awful in the post season but to be fair he generally faces us.

And they're learning nothing from last year, he's started 19 of their 23 games, too much of a workload for any goalie.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And they're learning nothing from last year, he's started 19 of their 23 games, too much of a workload for any goalie.

Yeah for sure they were hot at the start of last season too but limped into the playoffs which was great for us. Torts loves his old school playoff hockey as well. Karlsson was actually one of their better players in the playoffs too. Probably why some of us really wanted him in the off season although I’m sure no one expected his start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad