Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cracknell last year:
50.99 CF% and +1.63 relCF%
48.83 xGF% and -0.72 relxGF%
1.33 p/60 [roughly third line production by my gorilla math]

Overall, it's not a bad claim. He should be a good option for the fourth line.

[Corsica.Hockey]

Would've rather just kept Pirri.

Would rather just play f***ing Letteri but we need jam.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Considering some topics that are going on around Twitter and HFNYR today, it's important to keep in mind that advanced stats allow us to separate defensive skill from goalie skill on a game-by-game, and player-by-player basis. We can do this with shot attempts, and now even better, with xG.

For example, AV has decided to bench ADA and Smith in favor of Kampfer and Holden for tonight's game. It's easy to assume his reasoning in this being that Holden and Kampfer were on the ice in a game where the Rangers allowed 0 goals. Wow, 0 goals, that's great.

Fortunately, we have the ability to now see how Kampfer and Holden contributed to the win. And well, they didn't.

http://corsica.hockey/games/?id=2017020031

Holden had a 16% CF% during 5v5 play, coupled with a 28.57% xGF%. He was on the ice for 21 shot attempts against, and 0.80 xGA. Lundqvist essentially saved an entire goal above expectation with Holden on the ice that game.

Kampfer had a 23.08% CF%, during 5v5 play, coupled with a 31.53 xGF%. He was on the ice for 20 shot attempts against, and 0.76 xGA. Lundqvist essentially saved an entire goal above expectation with Kampfer on the ice that game.

If we're talking about "accountability" and Smith and ADA having "bad games", well, I'm not certain why we're not benching Kampfer and Holden then. Are they less accountable? They shouldn't be. It's more likely that AV is simply seeing that his team posted 0 GA, and he doesn't want to mess with the lineup. Pretty simple, pretty wrong.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Smith has really disappointed me this season, and I don’t want him sitting longer behind Holden. ADA benched over Kampfer should never happen, ever.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
smashing head at wall at this point. i think it's pretty clear AV gives 0 f***s about shots and expected goals, instead opting for odd man rushes and other things they look at on their own, whether that's right or wrong.

but i also feel like it's overanalyzing posting xGf% for 1 game for individual players when the entire team as a whole got outshot 40 to 60%. Everyone was/is a blackhole for shot attempts. DeAngelo was 80% but he played 3 minutes of 5v5.

-----

the eyetest, to me, says that puck recoveries in the defensive zone are a big big problem and need to be rectified. Lundqvist has 0 to negative impact in the puck retrieval game. Teams can rim/put it behind the net at will knowing our defensemen will get 0 help from the goalie to set pucks up or move it for them.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rangers, under AV, will never really be a team that is liked by possession stats. AV has the team playing a counter-attack style that thrives more on the quality of chances as opposed to the quantity. That isn't to say that advanced stats as a whole don't look favorably on them.

The problem with this is that they generally have issues with transitioning the puck out of the zone regularly. They have some personnel that can do it well, but for the most part, it doesn't happen often enough to be a positive impact.

Hence why NYR get caved in on shots all the time. They do seem to do well with limiting HD chances relatively compared to the size of the beating they take though.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
but i also feel like it's overanalyzing posting xGf% for 1 game for individual players when the entire team as a whole got outshot 40 to 60%. Everyone was/is a blackhole for shot attempts. DeAngelo was 80% but he played 3 minutes of 5v5.

100% correct. The whole team was bad. Kampfer and Holden were the worst. Lundqvist is the reason we shut out Montreal. Nothing more, nothing less.

We can use one game to evaluate that, one game. We have years of data that says that Smith is a better option than both of those guys. We don't have the data, but considering how bad Kampfer is, it's likely that ADA is a better option than him, as well.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Somebody should sticky SF's page to the first post!

Sitting ADA (TDA?) three games into the season with two nobodies is obscene. You moved your #1 C, how about giving the promising return on the trade some time before replacing him with average-to-bad journeymen? Why? It probably isn't just an AV thing but is it true that most of the 31 NHL coaches would make a similarly bad move?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Dan Girari 50% CF%, 5.9% CFRel%

tenor.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers, under AV, will never really be a team that is liked by possession stats. AV has the team playing a counter-attack style that thrives more on the quality of chances as opposed to the quantity. That isn't to say that advanced stats as a whole don't look favorably on them.

The problem with this is that they generally have issues with transitioning the puck out of the zone regularly. They have some personnel that can do it well, but for the most part, it doesn't happen often enough to be a positive impact.

Hence why NYR get caved in on shots all the time. They do seem to do well with limiting HD chances relatively compared to the size of the beating they take though.

We're a counterattack team with a shit transition scheme. Explains a lot.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I always thought they were pretty good at transition, just those rush attempts are more likely to be one and done attempts rather than the multiple attempts a good cycling team would get by, well, being good at cycling

Reactions: LiasAndersson

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

I guess the question becomes, what changed after AV's first season? Other than losing Stralman. We were a good counterattacking team, but could generate offense off offensive zone and cycle plays, our breakouts seemed to be effective, and our forecheck was a weapon.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I guess the question becomes, what changed after AV's first season? Other than losing Stralman. We were a good counterattacking team, but could generate offense off offensive zone and cycle plays, our breakouts seemed to be effective, and our forecheck was a weapon.

AV has fallen more and more in love with playing EA Sports hockey each year. I think it's really that simple.

Perhaps it started in 14-15 as an adjustment to lack of personnel after losing Stralman, but it's snowballed into his own thing at this point.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I’ve been a broken record about neutral zone defense for three years and now I’m going to harp on the zone pressure system. It helps you keep numbers down low and have people in position to run a counter attack. No one in this league runs man-to-man anymore. With how teams play swarm offense and use the old Russian tactic of offsetting pressure to open up seams, unless you’re perfectly in sync, you’re gonna get burned. You need forward support to play defense, and with how we’re always trying to get the puck up ice the other way, we’re extra prone to HDSCA.
Figure I'd quote this again since we're talking about transition hockey.

We're a good transition offense team, albeit I hate our zone exit scheme. Our biggest problem is our transition defense, which stems from our awful forechecking strategy that overcommits guys down low and gives the other team time and space to counterattack us with numbers. Seriously, go rewatch the Toronto game. You'll see us send two guys down low while our 3rd man in off to the side rather than taking up space near the opposing net. All the Toronto d had to do was kick it out to their center providing an outlet option, hook it to their nearside winger, and they were attacking us 4v3.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
That's 3 out of 4 games Carey is firmly in the black on RSAP%. Yet everyone keeps calling him an AHLer.
He's basically just a passenger on that line, which is about what you'd expect. Very replaceable.

McDonagh OTOH is otherworldly 4 games in in xG%, even playing mostly with Staal. Skjei and Shattenkirk need to be alot better.

Reactions: Ail

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He does nothing on the ice and is riding shotgun to DD and Vesey/Cracknell. Seriously, he has 3 ICF. Took a bad penalty that led to the GWG for STL tonight. Vesey has been a high volume shooter thus far, which is why I think we'll start seeing his numbers rebound a bit. Carey is a good AAAA guy, but he needs to be in Hartford. He shouldn't be playing over Chytil right now, and he especially doesn't belong once Fast is back in the lineup.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
He's basically just a passenger on that line, which is about what you'd expect. Very replaceable.

McDonagh OTOH is otherworldly 4 games in in xG%, even playing mostly with Staal. Skjei and Shattenkirk need to be alot better.

He does nothing on the ice and is riding shotgun to DD and Vesey/Cracknell. Seriously, he has 3 ICF. Took a bad penalty that led to the GWG for STL tonight. Vesey has been a high volume shooter thus far, which is why I think we'll start seeing his numbers rebound a bit. Carey is a good AAAA guy, but he needs to be in Hartford. He shouldn't be playing over Chytil right now, and he especially doesn't belong once Fast is back in the lineup.

Thank You guys.

DB - Comparing him to McD is a little silly, don't ya think? Elite 1st pairing defender vs. 4th line Forward fill-in ...

Carey, in my opinion, is not hurting the team. He keeps up and we're generating shots when he's on the ice...and the opposition is not scoring on him. That's actually a decent thing to happen for a 4th line. Lines 2 & 3, on the other hand, should be more of a focus for criticism...

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Thank You guys.

DB - Comparing him to McD is a little silly, don't ya think? Elite 1st pairing defender vs. 4th line Forward fill-in ...

Carey, in my opinion, is not hurting the team. He keeps up and we're generating shots when he's on the ice...and the opposition is not scoring on him. That's actually a decent thing to happen for a 4th line. Lines 2 & 3, on the other hand, should be more of a focus for criticism...
I wasn't comparing them, just making a comment on McD's pla so far

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We’re not actually generating shots with him on the ice. The other team just doesn’t, and we’ve seen 4th line players have skewed numbers before to make them seem like all stars. He’s not good at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad