The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Oh absolutely, he’s one of the best pure defensive dmen in the league right now

Totally. I think everyone knows how I feel about Manson at this point LOL. People refer to Staal or Girardi-types as "defensive d-men" and couldn't be further off. Those guys just suck. More often than not, I'd wager people refer to players as "defensive d-men" mostly because they remember them playing in their own zone.

Josh Manson IS a defensive d-man.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It goes back to that old quote from Tippett or Lombardi or whoever where they said something along the lines of you see this guy make so many defensive plays, but that’s always because he’s playing without the puck vs the guy who’s meh defensively, but always has the puck. Staal can still be a decent 1v1 defender, but the dude’s puck skills and passing always leave him playing defense. Same with G

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It goes back to that old quote from Tippett or Lombardi or whoever where they said something along the lines of you see this guy make so many defensive plays, but that’s always because he’s playing without the puck vs the guy who’s meh defensively, but always has the puck. Staal can still be a decent 1v1 defender, but the dude’s puck skills and passing always leave him playing defense. Same with G

Can't teach reach, and Staal does have that. That's basically all he has, though.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Is there something funny going on trying to view live games on corsica, or is just my computer?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Those new game charts are beautiful. Well done, Manny. New Corsica is phenomenal

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Varlamov was just insane.

I would take those Rangers for 82+ games a year, for the most part.

Inject it into my veins.

Reactions: Ori

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Popped in the GDT last night for a few pages. Yikes. You'd think the Rangers got smoked. Happy to see the narrative is different in here.

I thought the PP looked great. Lots of movement away from the puck and with the puck. Buch was great in particular with this running the half wall. Interested to see how the Rangers do once teams start adjusting.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
While I mostly agree with those charts, and that Varlamov was very good, here are Shattenkirks own words from his recent players tribute

We dominated a lot of those games, but the Penguins were so opportunistic. What can you say? They played like Stanley Cup champions. They got it done.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nasher had good insight in the post game. The 3rd man high on the back check cost us lastnight.

Buch on Barries goal and whoevers man that was on the trailer on the Duchene goal. Still a sick pass by Yokupov who looked good.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Love nothing more than using +/- when factoring in empty nets. People love scoring chances, but xG is heresy. Good thing basketball and soccer use the same damn thing.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Cooper and Vigneualt at the Hockey Analytics convention
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad