The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pionk and Staal as a pairing have a -5.19% relCF% (Staal's 2nd worst combo rating with at least 50 mins paired together) and a 106 PDO lol [Corsica.Hockey].

Somewhat surprisingly, in their small sample, Staal & Skjei were actually an effective pair.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He's 6'6". That's the hype. He will be given chance after chance because of his size.

Big guys have to prove that they can't play. Little guys have to prove that they can.
I watched both BU games this weekend (first for Barron on Cornell and then for Hughes on Michigan), both Greenway and Tkachuk didn’t impress me at all, every time either was brought up was just about their size in terms of being along the wall or in front of the net, and I think they were trying to sell how good Greenway is at passing, but I kept thinking “if they’re so good in front of the net, why don’t they score more goals?”

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
1 OA on the 33rd try
2 3rd overalls on the way and no 2nds

The Isles had 1OA 5 times during with 2(!) separate occasions of them having 1st AND 2nd.

I hope this effectively shoots down all this blinding optimism.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@aufheben just reminded me that Hotlby has missed time recently and struggled this season which I had totally forgotten, but they haven't missed a beat with Grubauer.

That got me thinking about how Georgiev and Talbot have come in and performed for this team.

Which got me thinking about how just about every team has 3-4 good goalies coming out of their butts because there can only be two on a team and the position is so competitive. Look at Vegas and Pittsburgh.

With all that said, I wanna like Carolina, but with how easy it is to find goaltenders, you really have to start wondering if there isn't some flaw in the system that nobody can play goal over there.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@aufheben just reminded me that Hotlby has missed time recently and struggled this season which I had totally forgotten, but they haven't missed a beat with Grubauer.

That got me thinking about how Georgiev and Talbot have come in and performed for this team.

Which got me thinking about how just about every team has 3-4 good goalies coming out of their butts because there can only be two on a team and the position is so competitive. Look at Vegas and Pittsburgh.

With all that said, I wanna like Carolina, but with how easy it is to find goaltenders, you really have to start wondering if there isn't some flaw in the system that nobody can play goal over there.
Does every team have 3-4 goalies, or is the spread between good goalies and bad goalies thin?

Up for debate, I think.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Same, which is why I'm becoming skeptical.
Among goalies with 2000 minutes (n=30), he has the 6th lowest xSv%. Cam Ward has the 20th. That's a pretty big spread for the same team. A spread of 0.83. But Darling's GSAA is -22, worst in the league, so he's not doing himself any favors.

As a team, CAR has the lowest all situations CA60, and the 6th lowest xGA60. 13th lowest xFSv%.

So I think Darling is just having a shit year. It happens. It's happening to Carey Price.

In reality, the difference between good goaltending and elite goaltending is being able to do it every year. That's why Hank is elite. Good goalies have bad years. I think that's what's happening to Darling.

[all metrics via Corsica.Hockey]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of the goalie thing, I won't criticize the Hank deal because Hank is once-in-a-lifetime but I think we can agree that

1)Our next goalie shouldn't make anywhere near that much

2)Much, much more importantly, we should never again put ourselves in the position where a goaltender is the heart of the organization

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Speaking of the goalie thing, I won't criticize the Hank deal because Hank is once-in-a-lifetime but I think we can agree that

1)Our next goalie shouldn't make anywhere near that much

2)Much, much more importantly, we should never again put ourselves in the position where a goaltender is the heart of the organization

If we somehow ended up with another Henrik, I don't see how you can say #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad