The 2024 TRADE DEADLINE Thread

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm a big fan of Yzerman as GM. But it's perfectly reasonable for fans to expect to at least make the playoffs five years in. Both can be true.

There's nothing wrong with planning to hunt for bigger game this summer. But Yzerman should take some noticable heat if they don't make the playoffs THIS YEAR. Fair or not, you don't get a decade to put it together.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It’s clear that the confidence Yzerman has in our prospects in GR influenced a lot of what went down today and I think that’s a good sign

If he had that much confidence, he wouldn't need the draft picks. I think he's in assessment mode,. A playoff series would help him judge what needs to be changed for next season. The Kostin trade shows that Stevie recognizes that this team is too slow, guessing Perron doesn't get re-signed unless it's a cheap deal and he's willing to sit a few games.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
The way Yzerman is doing things is perfectly legit for a GM with an unlimited lifespan. If Danielson and Kasper pan out the Wings are cup contenders. I just think he's wasting too much of Larkin's prime. I don't think I've seen anyone on here call for his firing.

The conversation went in a weird direction so I'm guessing one of the dummies on my ignore list is posting. lol.

Edit: Anyone else think he might leapfrog Kasper over Berggen? We need Cs, not wingers. I remember how Yzerman handled Drouin when Drouin was being pissy...

Is Berggren being pissy though? From the press conference he seems to like Jonatan and spoke highly of him.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Is Berggren being pissy though? From the press conference he seems to like Jonatan and spoke highly of him.
I don't know for sure. There have been contract issues and rumors of a trade request. Yzerman isn't going to slam a prospect he might be able to move for an asset.

Personally, I like Berggen's play and would rather he be kept but we already have a plethora of small skilled wingers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know for sure. There have been contract issues and rumors of a trade request. Yzerman isn't going to slam a prospect he might be able to move for an asset.

Personally, I like Berggen's play and would rather he be kept but we already have a plethora of small skilled wingers.

If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't sign an extension until after the season is over anyways. Even then, I'd only sign for one year. He will be on a NHL roster somewhere next season.

So I think it's just a business decision right now even if he wants to stay. Don't read too much into contract negotiations unless his agent says something publicly.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm a big fan of Yzerman as GM. But it's perfectly reasonable for fans to expect to at least make the playoffs five years in. Both can be true.

There's nothing wrong with planning to hunt for bigger game this summer. But Yzerman should take some noticable heat if they don't make the playoffs THIS YEAR. Fair or not, you don't get a decade to put it together.
Well to be fair a decade is more than half of what it has taken and he started in the hole with the absolute abominable dumpster fire Holland left him...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Was this everyone’s expectation at the start of the year?

I mean you still having people say we need to suck for another year.

I don’t evny being in his position. If we make the playoffs but get bounced, a good number of people will say we should have tanked for another year. If we just miss the playoffs, a good number of people will say we should have made the playoffs. If we did everything possible to get last place and then got the 4th pick, people will say we were terrible for no reason and will never be good again.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m glad Berggren is still a Wing. When he turned down the contract I thought maybe he wanted for lack of NHL time. The fact that he’s still here tells me that thought was wrong. If he wanted out he would have been gone

Reactions: raymond23

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
The barren landscape Yzerman inherited was worse than what a lot of expansion teams had to deal with. Almost a decade of busted 1st and 2nd round picks and almost no NHL talent. The last 8 years of Holland is right up there with Harkness.

Then the NHL also f***ed them by giving lottery wins to better teams almost every year.
I think Harkness was worse, sold off anyone of value for a burnt out star, Adam Oates for Bernie Ferderko leaps to mind...many more

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Was this everyone’s expectation at the start of the year?

I mean you still having people say we need to suck for another year.

I don’t evny being in his position. If we make the playoffs but get bounced, a good number of people will say we should have tanked for another year. If we just miss the playoffs, a good number of people will say we should have made the playoffs. If we did everything possible to get last place and then got the 4th pick, people will say we were terrible for no reason and will never be good again.
I think my point is that expectations change as the season unfolds. I can't speak for anybody else, but 1) I've completely abandoned any notion of the lottery helping the team, and 2) lots of teams in various sports completely clean house if there isn't major progress in 3-5 years. I'm not saying Detroit isn't in a better place than when Yzerman took over - they absolutely are. But when your roster now has a top 5 offense and you're still holding down a Wild Card spot in March, you definitely need to find a way to get it done and reach that next milestone.

Reactions: SoupNazi and Fynn

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
But are we in a better place if we don't make the playoffs? At some point, fans have to stop blaming Holland. It's been 5 years. Enough time to put together a team that can make the playoffs. Not contend for the Cup or be a dynasty, simply make the playoffs. Really, are the Islanders more talented and have a plethora of superstars? We like our team, it's a men's league, just wait until all these prospects mature. We're lacking quality centers and have a bunch of small European Wingers Yawn. This story sounds familiar.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think my point is that expectations change as the season unfolds. I can't speak for anybody else, but 1) I've completely abandoned any notion of the lottery helping the team, and 2) lots of teams in various sports completely clean house if there isn't major progress in 3-5 years. I'm not saying Detroit isn't in a better place than when Yzerman took over - they absolutely are. But when your roster now has a top 5 offense and you're still holding down a Wild Card spot in March, you definitely need to find a way to get it done and reach that next milestone.
Trade deadline's not necessarily the time to 'get it done' though.

Yzerman said in his presser that they were having discussions on different options, but that they couldn't justify the cost for what any particular target would bring to the team. Without knowing any details about who was available and what the asking prices were, I have to take him at face value on that.

So I can't say I'm disappointed that he didn't overpay for someone that wouldn't have a high impact. He also mentioned the trade deadline was a little bit like the junior leagues, where you have a handful of teams at the top in an arms race going for broke and selling the farm to load up. We just saw a couple nights ago what an elite team firing on all cylinders looks like in Colorado, and we're not close to that at this point. And most of the teams at the top improved themselves in some fashion. So now's not the time to 'go for it'.

Being in a playoff spot in March and having the wheels fall off in the final stretch, in part because the team relies too much on Larkin, is all valuable information. It informs on what the team is lacking and what it needs. I have no doubt Yzerman is taking note of everything. If the off-season comes and goes and no changes are made, then some criticism will be warranted.

As to your comments on timelines, I can't help but feel there are a lot of short memories around here. Let's remember the absolutely putrid position the team was in when Yzerman took over. And he was candid at the time that it would be a lengthy rebuilding process because he was committed to doing it right and not grasping for shortcuts. If I'm recalling right, their outlook to return to contention was more on the decade timescale. I'd say being on the playoff bubble with a top 3 prospect pool in the league 5 years into the Yzerplan is a pretty damn good accomplishment. And as you've alluded to, he's done that with horrible lottery luck. Getting what looks to be stars (possibly even superstars) three years in a row in Seider, Raymond, and Edvinsson, while never picking higher than 4th, was an absolute masterstroke.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If the roster has developed into a top5 offense and holds a playoff spot in March, it's on the roster to finish the job. If they can't, it just makes it more likely that we see some bigger moves in the offseason.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
But are we in a better place if we don't make the playoffs? At some point, fans have to stop blaming Holland. It's been 5 years. Enough time to put together a team that can make the playoffs. Not contend for the Cup or be a dynasty, simply make the playoffs. Really, are the Islanders more talented and have a plethora of superstars? We like our team, it's a men's league, just wait until all these prospects mature. We're lacking quality centers and have a bunch of small European Wingers Yawn. This story sounds familiar.
You can't just snap your fingers and prospects are ready tho. Most take that long to develop.

Islanders have Barzal, Horvat, Nelson and Dobson is having an elite season. A season I was hoping from Mo to be honest, tho Dobson is a year older. Oh and this elite goalie named Sorokin.

here.png

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the roster has developed into a top5 offense and holds a playoff spot in March, it's on the roster to finish the job. If they can't, it just makes it more likely that we see some bigger moves in the offseason.
That's fair. But the bar should now be high enough that (going forward) not making the playoffs is unacceptable.

Reactions: Fynn and Winger98

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think some fans are going to be very disappointed if they truly believe July 2024 is when SY will actively seek out some momentous transaction..

Personally at this point I think incremental improvements need to happen 12 months out of the year

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think some fans are going to be very disappointed if they truly believe July 2024 is when SY will actively seek out some momentous transaction..

Personally at this point I think incremental improvements need to happen 12 months out of the year
I think this team needs AT LEAST one more move along the lines of the Debrincat trade. And that's assuming that all of Edvinsson, Danielson, and Kasper become top half of the lineup players. It's a both/and, not an either/or.

Now is that move(s) mandatory to happen this summer? No. But in going from irrelevant - relevant (they are here now) - good - in the mix for a championship, sooner or later they'll need to trade quantity for quality and break another egg or two to make the omelette, and that's before they're good enough to add that final free agent or two any time they load up during peak contention years.

With Larkin having repeated injuries, I'm starting to wonder how many years they'll have once the kids are ready and while he's still their 1C.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I would have been down for some kind of C depth with how cheap some players went for and how many B/C level prospescts we have
This 100% should have happened. We have so many "prospects" and a bunch more picks to make, there won't be room for 75 players on a 23 man roster. Yzerman should have 100% traded either mid round picks, or B-prospects in order to bolster the depth and go for it this year. There were players to be had that could have helped the team push for the playoffs, but instead Yzerman hits the fanbase with a lie and says "our deadline acquisitions are in GR, they are playing so well". Put your money where your mouth is Steve and bring up Edvinsson, what are you waiting for???

Instead, he traded for an AHL defenceman and called it a day. He probably wanted to get the day over with so he could get back to his bong and video games.

Reactions: Fynn and nbwingsfan

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
The awful Oates trade and others around that time (like Adam Graves) were Jimmy Devellano. He was GM from 1982 thru 1990.
You quite correct, I should have thought about it longer, it was a while ago, can't blame Ned for those ones, but he did do his fair share of damage in the day, but I am sure it was ownership as much as anything.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The awful Oates trade and others around that time (like Adam Graves) were Jimmy Devellano. He was GM from 1982 thru 1990.
I keep thinking there were some other things behind the Oates trade than it being a pure hockey move. Should there have been more value in it? Yeah, but there might have been more issues around it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If this team totally falls apart over the last half, you're right, a single big trade might just not be there, but I think we see some roster turnover we wouldn't have if the Wings come together and win a spot this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad