The 2024 TRADE DEADLINE Thread

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The NHL Trade Deadline is March 8th at 3:00 PM EST.

Here's The Athletics top 15 names to watch as the deadline nears.

1. Jake Guentzel
2. Jacob Markstrom
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Sean Walker
5. Adam Henrique
6. Frank Vatrano
7. Alex Wennberg
8. Matt Dumba
9. Vladimir Tarasenko
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Jason Zucker
12. Pavel Buchnevich
13. Kaapo Kahkonen
14. Anthony Duclair
15. Max Pacioretty

What's on your guys wishlist ahead of Friday?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd like Yzerman to strike from the shadows and land somebody not on the list and that nobody expected to be available. A bold move that helps the team both short and long term. And he's a guy with Michigan ties.

Zach Werenski, come on down. You've been snatched from "never coming to Detroit" status.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
With all the smoke about Hanifin going to Tampa, I'd now like to focus my attention back to pillaging St. Louis for talent.

Buchnevich and Parayko are interesting names.
Yeah Hanifin felt dead once the wants to sign in Florida stuff came out.

Buchnevich is nice but sounds pricey.

Parayko would fit but also is turning 31 in May and will have six years left at a reasonable cap hit, a little good and bad.

Guentzel fits but no way we wanna give long term.

Vatrano would be ok at the Mantha price but he has term left so probably costs more.

Dumba I'd take if they could somehow wizard Holl in the trade. I'd also guess Holl's 10 team no trade list would include Arizona.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dumba I'd take if they could somehow wizard Holl in the trade. I'd also guess Holl's 10 team no trade list would include Arizona.

I thought Dumba made sense in the off-season before Ghost, Petry, and Holl joined up. But given the contract he got, and how he had to go to Arizona to get it, I'd have to think Yzerman just isn't interested in this guy's game.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
With all the smoke about Hanifin going to Tampa, I'd now like to focus my attention back to pillaging St. Louis for talent.

Buchnevich and Parayko are interesting names.
Wings have ~28 million in cap space for next season and Raymond\Seider are likely to eat up a combined 12-15 of it, leaving 13-16 million. If Yzerman can dump Holl that brings us up to 16.4-19.4. If they also trade Maatta and call up Ed, they are at 17.7-20.7. Parayko's 6.5 takes them down to 11.2-14.2 to sign Kane, Veleno, bring up Kasper, and sign two forwards and a defenseman. That's tight but doable. You could have a defense group of Walman-Seider, Chiarot-Parayko, Ed-Petry next year which would be manageable and Ed could slot into second pair as he improves. Parayko would probably be an awesome complement to Edvinsson.

I don't like Parayko's age but his contract is actually not terrible, and with rising cap it shouldn't be a detriment as time goes on. The issue with Parayko is STL is going to want a decent number of assets. Like 1st, 2nd, Wallinder, Berggren. Is it worth it?

Still doesn't address Larkin being gone for two weeks but Yzerman might see what the forward core can do. He could always acquire another forward and let Perron go in the offseason and cheap a little bit on the rest of the roster or just acquire a rental to cover C while Larkin is out.

Reactions: Bench

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Agreed, I think it's important to find a rock steady #2 RD that can give him the best chance to play those hard minutes. I know a lot of people see bringing in another defender as a detriment to Edvinsson's ice time, but I feel it's a bit of the opposite.
It's only a detriment if we don't free up space. I see Holl and Maatta not being part of the team next year and Ghost will be gone via trade or FA. I would like to see a D group of Walman-Seider \ RHD-Chiarot \ Petry-Ed until Ed is ready to slot up. I figure ASP will come in around the time Petry leaves and cover his RHD slot.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

1. Jake Guentzel
2. Jacob Markstrom
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Sean Walker
5. Adam Henrique
6. Frank Vatrano
7. Alex Wennberg
8. Matt Dumba
9. Vladimir Tarasenko
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Jason Zucker
12. Pavel Buchnevich
13. Kaapo Kahkonen
14. Anthony Duclair
15. Max Pacioretty

Outside of Hanifin, no one on that list excites me.

I’m fine with just picking up a depth piece for something small and eventually losing in the 1st round. No one there really moves the needle enough to change that and make a difference IMO.

Rather hold onto assets and go big game hunting in the off season where teams will inevitably be looking at changes

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If Detroit can pawn Holl off then it makes sense to pick up Dumba for a reasonable price. I want Hanifin like everyone else but it isn't going to happen.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wonder if Yzerman will trade Holl and pick , could be second for future consideration. Marc Staal trade

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
@Frk It late response to your comparison of a Larsson move to the Quincey trade. Definitely see where you're coming from, it's an idea that I'm definitely just chewing on than something I'm really gung-ho on. I think the two big differences from my view are 1) I think Larsson's the better player than Quincey, and 2) our prospect pool and trajectory is in a very different place now than it was in 2012. I won't rehash the late era Holland stuff, I know it's been done to death on this board, but I feel like we needed to either start strengthening the prospect pool organically or go all-out and give Datsyuk/Zetterberg a chance to win another, and we kinda tried and failed to split the baby there.

I'm not itching to move our 1st for a player on the wrong side of 30, I get that for a lot of people here that really rate futures that will be a nonstarter. That said, I would really like to see add more reliable second pairing RHD behind Seider for the next few years. Getting someone in for this playoff push would be great, but honestly for me the bigger priority is bringing in someone reliable to play with Edvinsson.

I guess I feel like if you got maybe two the three years of good second pairing play from Larsson, then maybe a year or two of reliable third pairing play (assuming he would be willing to re-sign as a UFA in '25, which is an if), I think that would probably be worth a mid/late 1st and a B prospect. On the other hand, maybe there's a cheaper way to fill that need this summer when the dust settles, so I get where people would prefer to either hold onto our 1st or move it for someone to round out or top six, etc.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah Hanifin felt dead once the wants to sign in Florida stuff came out.

Buchnevich is nice but sounds pricey.

Parayko would fit but also is turning 31 in May and will have six years left at a reasonable cap hit, a little good and bad.

Guentzel fits but no way we wanna give long term.

Vatrano would be ok at the Mantha price but he has term left so probably costs more.

Yeah, I would be good with Parayko. Not a bad contract that will probably age just fine. A top 4 of Walman-Seider and Edvinsson-Parayko would be pretty rad. Parayko can also move down the lineup once Sandin-Pelikka is ready to go HAM on the NHL.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think we're gonna see something massive happen, and right out of left field that isn't being talked about at all.

Realistically what do we have for assets that can be dealt? I doubt we deal any of the forward group, unless it's in part of a bigger piece coming in. Defense is a logjam currently and of Ghost, Holl, Matta, Chariot,Petry, Wallinder, Johansson are all exposed I would assume. Same on the goalie front does Yzerman try for an upgrade?

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022

1. Jake Guentzel
2. Jacob Markstrom
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Sean Walker
5. Adam Henrique
6. Frank Vatrano
7. Alex Wennberg
8. Matt Dumba
9. Vladimir Tarasenko
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Jason Zucker
12. Pavel Buchnevich
13. Kaapo Kahkonen
14. Anthony Duclair
15. Max Pacioretty

Hopefully none of these guys. We aren't ready to contend and these guys don't change that this year nor will their new contracts if we extend them. Move Holl, if you can get more than a 2nd for Ghost, do it. Set ourselves up for competing 2025-2030. I'd be fine with Parayko at the right price.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Parayko
Cleveland (the legend) - ASP

We are set lol

Brady is literally my favorite prospect because he's going to be the ultimate underdog. I just want 1 NHL game played in a Wings jersey and I'll buy that jersey. I know nothing about him , but it's a good hockey name so that means he will succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad