The 2024 TRADE DEADLINE Thread

I have come around. If the price is in the realm of reasonable Stevie should help the team. Did not sign Kane to fizzle out and Larkin should make us look long and hard what we got down the middle. Hardly anyone on the list blows me away. C and RHD are the most pressing holes. So Henrique, Wennberg, Dumba, Walker. Holl doesn't have to be moved now. That's prob better during the summer cuz he would diminish any return significantly. And we don't need the cap space yet.

I hope Stevie has something unforeseen up his sleeve. He has proven time and again that he can create a market for himself.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I have come around. If the price is in the realm of reasonable Stevie should help the team. Did not sign Kane to fizzle out and Larkin should make us look long and hard what we got down the middle. Hardly anyone on the list blows me away. C and RHD are the most pressing holes. So Henrique, Wennberg, Dumba, Walker. Holl doesn't have to be moved now. That's prob better during the summer cuz he would diminish any return significantly. And we don't need the cap space yet.

I hope Stevie has something unforeseen up his sleeve. He has proven time and again that he can create a market for himself.
Cliff notes: the price will not be reasonable for a team not ready to compete this year.

For a rental for a team that isn't contending? This is an asset management discussion.
We pick dodgy guys in rd2 anyway and the chance of getting an nhl player outta that pick, let alone an impact player, is pretty slim. If a package of a 2nd and a 3rd gets you a player that can for example fill in for larkin, help us make it this year and can be deployed elsewhere in the lineup when 71 returns, then that's worth it imo.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
We pick dodgy guys in rd2 anyway and the chance of getting an nhl player outta that pick, let alone an impact player, is pretty slim. If a package of a 2nd and a 3rd gets you a player that can for example fill in for larkin, help us make it this year and can be deployed elsewhere in the lineup when 71 returns, then that's worth it imo.
But a Mantha type doesn't fill in for Larkin. I'd much rather have a cost controlled Berggren/Johansson/Wallinder for years than a UFA Mantha-type for one when we aren't ready to compete.

Reactions: Steve91

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But a Mantha type doesn't fill in for Larkin. I'd much rather have a cost controlled Berggren/Johansson/Wallinder for years than a UFA Mantha-type for one when we aren't ready to compete.
Having a realistic chance at a Stanley Cup isn't the only important milestone in the rebuild. I don't want to drop major assets on a pure rental, but I'm absolutely willing to hand over one or more picks/prospects for a real upgrade that will be here for a few years and help ensure that they make the playoffs this year.

It's all about finding a good deal - don't spend just to spend - but the step forward by the roster this year has me viewing draft picks in particular as a LOT less valuable than I had them 6 months ago.

Example: Is anybody missing Kubalik or Sebrango or that pick in exchange for Debrincat? Hell no. Now I'm certainly not expecting another situation exactly like that, but if you can add a quality player without selling the entire farm then you should do it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Every draft pick becomes meningless, if you can get a quality player with that.

Cost control is one thing, but smartest GMs will buy proven players with already cost-controlled contracts. Or they pay for retention if the numbers aren't right.

If you can do that, you never need draft picks for anything else than completing trades.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@Frk It late response to your comparison of a Larsson move to the Quincey trade. Definitely see where you're coming from, it's an idea that I'm definitely just chewing on than something I'm really gung-ho on. I think the two big differences from my view are 1) I think Larsson's the better player than Quincey, and 2) our prospect pool and trajectory is in a very different place now than it was in 2012. I won't rehash the late era Holland stuff, I know it's been done to death on this board, but I feel like we needed to either start strengthening the prospect pool organically or go all-out and give Datsyuk/Zetterberg a chance to win another, and we kinda tried and failed to split the baby there.

I'm not itching to move our 1st for a player on the wrong side of 30, I get that for a lot of people here that really rate futures that will be a nonstarter. That said, I would really like to see add more reliable second pairing RHD behind Seider for the next few years. Getting someone in for this playoff push would be great, but honestly for me the bigger priority is bringing in someone reliable to play with Edvinsson.

I guess I feel like if you got maybe two the three years of good second pairing play from Larsson, then maybe a year or two of reliable third pairing play (assuming he would be willing to re-sign as a UFA in '25, which is an if), I think that would probably be worth a mid/late 1st and a B prospect. On the other hand, maybe there's a cheaper way to fill that need this summer when the dust settles, so I get where people would prefer to either hold onto our 1st or move it for someone to round out or top six, etc.
I would have liked adding Larsson a few years ago if possible. I just think at this point it might be better to wait for free agency and get one of Pesce, Montour, etc.

I agree with your general idea that we need a middle pairing defenseman, and preferably a RD.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The NHL Trade Deadline is March 8th at 3:00 PM EST.

Here's The Athletics top 15 names to watch as the deadline nears.

1. Jake Guentzel
2. Jacob Markstrom
3. Noah Hanifin
4. Sean Walker
5. Adam Henrique
6. Frank Vatrano
7. Alex Wennberg
8. Matt Dumba
9. Vladimir Tarasenko
10. Tyler Toffoli
11. Jason Zucker
12. Pavel Buchnevich
13. Kaapo Kahkonen
14. Anthony Duclair
15. Max Pacioretty

What's on your guys wishlist ahead of Friday?
From this list I would look at Wennberg, Tarasenko, or Toffoli.

I would look at defenseman on teams that are about to be hitting a cap crunch this summer.

For goalies, Markstrom would not be a bad idea if he could be had for cheap.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It sounds like Hanifin's going to end up in Florida.

I'm getting the feeling that Buchnevich is the target... he's signed for another year and he's the type of versatile forward that Yzerman likes. Plus, Yzerman and Armstrong have a track record together.

I also wonder if he'll make a move to address the goaltending. Lyon's been great but they could use some short/medium-term stability there.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not talking about the player. I certainly do not want him back. But if a 2nd gets you a player of similar value, that's a good price for a pick around #50.
We already have the logjam with prospects waiting to get their chance. Trading 4th is like nothing at all. And as we have improved we won't be getting top 10 either, so our 2nd is not a big deal.

I would definitely take Mantha back.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy
Why are you bringin prospects into convo??? I have no interest in dealing them,..well Berggren maybe, but that is not my point.^^ Try this: Would you trade Noah Dower Nilsson and Cross Hanas for a significant better chance of making the playoffs this year?

We already have the logjam with prospects waiting to get their chance. Trading 4th is like nothing at all. And as we have improved we won't be getting top 10 either, so our 2nd is not a big deal.

I would definitely take Mantha back.
No, i agree. we are vastly overrating what usually comes outta these picks. Even the b prospects like Dylan James or Buium...the 2 most likely scenarios are: 1. not nhl players 2. bottom 6 or bottom pair fw/dmen. You can find comparable players every summer.

Reactions: 14ari13

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It sounds like Hanifin's going to end up in Florida.

I'm getting the feeling that Buchnevich is the target... he's signed for another year and he's the type of versatile forward that Yzerman likes. Plus, Yzerman and Armstrong have a track record together.

I also wonder if he'll make a move to address the goaltending. Lyon's been great but they could use some short/medium-term stability there.
I 100% agree

Would love to add Buch...

Not sure who the goalie would be..markstrom, saros or Gibson maybe?

Reactions: evolutionbaby

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Nick Seeler was just put on IR. Pretty big piece potentially off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad