GDT: The 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | March 8th | 3:00 pm ET

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
So it's sounds like the rumors of a deal being close with us were true. Which means it's probably likely that the extension was probably true.

If thats the case then him not already signing with Vegas is interesting.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
So JBB decided that 1st + 2nd + Perbix is too much for Hanifin? Well, it's too much if you can't re-sign him. And potentially you won't be able to sign him because of Stamkos. It's all his fault!
If Calgary just refused to trade with Tampa, there's not much JBB could do. The extension with Tampa was also reportedly done, so whether or not Stamkos re-signs doesn't matter. If Hanifin is available on July 1 and still willing to take the rumored extension, he'll be a member of the team imo. If, after the season, he tells Vegas no, they could also gain a late rd pick and trade his rights to Tampa so that Tampa can still offer.the 8th year.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
If Calgary just refused to trade with Tampa, there's not much JBB could do. The extension with Tampa was also reportedly done, so whether or not Stamkos re-signs doesn't matter.
So Calgary refused a better offer from Tampa, and instead decided to trade the player to a division rival?
Makes no sense unless JBB slept with the Flames GMs wife or something.
I don't think there was an extension. If Hanifin had agreed to 7 million (which Tampa can afford) he would have already signed for that money in Vegas after the trade.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
So Calgary refused a better offer from Tampa, and instead decided to trade the player to a division rival?
I don't think there was an extension. If Hanifin had agreed to 7 million (which Tampa can afford) he would have already signed for that money in Vegas after the trade.
The deals could have been comparable? If Calgary thought the player was holding their head over a barrel they could have told him to eat shit and traded him elsewhere for a similar return.

I can totally see thst happening.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
There's no evidence that Tampa had a better offer, only that a trade was.pretty far along and looking good. It was hinted at that an 8 year extension in the high 6's was essentially agreed upon. And no, if Hanifin is set on playing for Tampa, he wouldn't have signed an extension already with Vegas.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
The deals could have been comparable?
There's no evidence that Tampa had a better offer,
Why didn’t JBB make a better offer then? Not that it was difficult. 1st+2nd+Perbix is already better lol. Add Gauthier and it's so much better. And it didn’t even look like an overpayment for Hanifin with an extension. 100% worth it. Not like five picks for Jeannot. Damn, even 3rd + Thompson for Duclair looks like a worse value imho.
If it's true, Brisebois is a loser. I can only justify him if he was not sure that he could re-sign Hanifin, OR on the contrary, he knows 100% that he will be able to sign him this summer as FA so no need to pay now. Otherwise it's not excusable.
If Calgary thought the player was holding their head over a barrel they could have told him to eat shit and traded him elsewhere for a similar return.
Why would they do this? Even now no one wants to play in Calgary, but with such moves it will be even worse.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The conspiracy theory/convenient theory is that Calgary traded their pending UFAs to contending teams in the Western Conference to prevent their biggest rival, Edmonton, from winning the Cup.

• Haha
Reactions: Stelio Kontos

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Why didn’t JBB make a better offer then? Not that it was difficult. 1st+2nd+Perbix is already better lol. Add Gauthier and it's so much better. And it didn’t even look like an overpayment for Hanifin with an extension. 100% worth it. Not like five picks for Jeannot. Damn, even 3rd + Thompson for Duclair looks like a worse value imho.
If it's true, Brisebois is a loser. I can only justify him if he was not sure that he could re-sign Hanifin, OR on the contrary, he knows 100% that he will be able to sign him this summer as FA so no need to pay now. Otherwise it's not excusable.

Why would they do this? Even now no one wants to play in Calgary, but with such moves it will be even worse.
Perhaps because JBB felt that Tampa was the only place he would re-sign with, and that he didn't want to offer more than he was at the time. Perhaps he did offer something comparable to the Vegas offer, but for whatever reason(Conroy wanting to stick it to Hanifin and his agent for making things difficult, the conspiracy theory that they wanted to screw Edmonron, or just to try and save face by mahbe not looking weak/caving to the pressure of where the player wanted to go), he traded with Vegas instead. By all accounts, Hanifin still prefers Tampa over any other spot, so I guess we'll see. The longer he remains unsigned, the better for Tampa. Even if he changes his mind, oh well, this summer should have quite a few solid dmen available, so if Hanifin isn't available, JBB can still sign another while still having saved draft picks/prospects.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I posted this tweet on the NHL thread, but that was before this thread was revived.

I don't see this as Vegas finding a market inefficiency, but more as they're willing to trade guys with term when they aren't bad. They're also willing to trade away lower picks when potential bargains come up (and good/lucky at identifying those players).

If the game were played on a spreadsheet, we trade Palat, McD, Killorn, etc. We value 'self-rentals' and stability, but it might be more sound long-term if we embrace a bit more chaos.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I posted this tweet on the NHL thread, but that was before this thread was revived.

I don't see this as Vegas finding a market inefficiency, but more as they're willing to trade guys with term when they aren't bad. They're also willing to trade away lower picks when potential bargains come up (and good/lucky at identifying those players).

If the game were played on a spreadsheet, we trade Palat, McD, Killorn, etc. We value 'self-rentals' and stability, but it might be more sound long-term if we embrace a bit more chaos.

Unpopular opinion, 99% of hfboards will disagree, but I don't think what Vegas is doing is a recipe for success. Yes, they won the championship last year, and they look like monsters again....but there is no way a lack of continuity in your roster is a net positive.

If they didn't have loads of extra cap space from LTIR, they wouldn't even be able to be this aggressive. Not exactly something you can plan out, and you're not going to attract a ton of free agents if you show a lack of commitment towards individual players.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If he signs Brady Skjei I'll be happy!
Even if it's not Skjei, meh, there are plenty of possibilities that may be available. Hanifin, Pesce, Walker, Dumba, Schultz, Montour, DeMelo, Dillon, Roy, Zadorov, Cole could all be options that would upgrade and add depth to the blueline.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Unpopular opinion, 99% of hfboards will disagree, but I don't think what Vegas is doing is a recipe for success. Yes, they won the championship last year, and they look like monsters again....but there is no way a lack of continuity in your roster is a net positive.

If they didn't have loads of extra cap space from LTIR, they wouldn't even be able to be this aggressive. Not exactly something you can plan out, and you're not going to attract a ton of free agents if you show a lack of commitment towards individual players.
They're basically doing an aggressive version of what the Rangers have almost always done: be chaotic, trade picks, sign big UFAs. Difference is Vegas has better management and their depth gels better.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Not saying the injury is not legit but it does make one laugh.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Even if it's not Skjei, meh, there are plenty of possibilities that may be available. Hanifin, Pesce, Walker, Dumba, Schultz, Montour, DeMelo, Dillon, Roy, Zadorov, Cole could all be options that would upgrade and add depth to the blueline.
I would like not just to add depth, but a significant improvement. Most of these guys aren't, let's be honest.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“I was never holding the Flames hostage,” said the 27-year-old defenceman from his hotel room in suburban Vegas.

“That was one of the more difficult things to hear towards the end because I personally felt I was never doing that.
“I only had an eight-team no-trade clause, so I was never going to be able to say, ‘no,’” said Hanifin, who reportedly had a new contract in place with Tampa Bay had the Flames been able to broker a deal there.

“I felt I should give Calgary a list of teams I would sign with, and then it got out there I was holding the team hostage and would only sign with one team.

“I wasn’t ever going to sign an extension just anywhere in the league.

“I don’t think any player in the NHL would do that.”

So, where would he have signed?

“Preferably east coast, close to home,” said the Boston native.

“But then you have to find teams in playoff contention and teams with money and space that want you. It boils down to a few teams."
The swap that sent Hanifin to Vegas for a first-round pick, conditional third and Daniil Miromanov did not include a contract extension – something he said he will keep an open mind about now that he’s with an organization striving to win every year.

However, his decision not to re-sign with Calgary revolved around his desire for him and his fiancée to eventually raise a family closer to home.

“It was an extremely difficult decision because I loved the organization and the city, but when I looked at the next eight years I just thought the next chapter should be closer to home,” said Hanifin.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I would like not just to add depth, but a significant improvement. Most of these guys aren't, let's be honest.
Hanifin, Pesce, Demelo, Dillon, Roy, Walker, Skjei and Montour are all considerable upgrades to everyone on Tampa's blueline outside teh top 3, let's not kid ourselves. Zadorov, Dumba, Schultz and Cole may not be significantly better, but for what they could cost towards the cap, would still be useful to have.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Vegas has also had 3 head coaches.

A lack of commitment hasn't really hurt Vegas yet, and they do keep some guys (Stone, Karlsson, Theodore, Pietrangelo). Vegas is maybe a bit more aggressive, but change is inevitable in the NHL.

Their plan might not work, had they been a franchise in Milwaukee.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Hanifin, Pesce, Demelo, Dillon, Roy, Walker, Skjei and Montour are all considerable upgrades to everyone on Tampa's blueline outside teh top 3, let's not kid ourselves. Zadorov, Dumba, Schultz and Cole may not be significantly better, but for what they could cost towards the cap, would still be useful to have.
I think most of these guys will just re-sign with their current teams. like why would the Panthers give up Montour?
If we are talking about big names I think the most realistic options are Hanifin (if he really wants to Tampa) and one of Pesce/Skjei if Carolina wants to re-sign Guentzel.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think most of these guys will just re-sign with their current teams. like why would the Panthers give up Montour?
If we are talking about big names I think the most realistic options are Hanifin (if he really wants to Tampa) and one of Pesce/Skjei if Carolina wants to re-sign Guentzel.
Florida may not have the space for Montour. For a clear top 4 upgrade, it's him, Hanifin, Pesce, Skjei, Walker. Maybe Roy. DeMelo and Dillon re-sign, but they are also targets should any make it to ufa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sounds like JBB did the right thing, stuck to his price and let someone else snag him.

The Duclair trade is still too rich for my blood if we don't hold onto him, but this was the kind of TDL you have if you are in our position.
It actually kind of even sounds like Calgary took less to keep Hanafin from fully dictating the trade terms.

We would have to trade either Serge or Cernak (preferably Cernak guy can’t stay healthy) or Cirelli and have stammer take a big pay cut.
A Serg trade might make more sense, to keep us from spending 25m on the left side. Only so many minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00