GDT: The 2024 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | March 8th | 3:00 pm ET

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I dunno I like what we did. We didn’t trade another entire draft class and/or took a big gamble on somebody. We spent a prospect and two picks. We got two players with experience that will help immediately. If we don’t like them they’re gone after the season. If even one of the two ends up playing like expected it’s already an improvement. And we got some play money (three picks) to go to the dance on July 1st.

We should’ve maybe taken on one more bad contract for the season and/or pending UFA for some more picks with the cap space we have though.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Can the organization afford Stamkos and Hanifin and still have the Cap Space to fill out the roster with a decent support group or are we dooming ourselves to a repeat of this season with a high priced core and 13 or 14 "scrubs" to support them?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can the organization afford Stamkos and Hanifin and still have the Cap Space to fill out the roster with a decent support group or are we dooming ourselves to a repeat of this season with a high priced core and 13 or 14 "scrubs" to support them?
Hanafin seems gone.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It really depends on a few things, and if Stammer is willing to take a discount.

JBB should move Sheary as well. If he does that I think he could sign both lretty easily (again, depending on if Stamkos takes a deal and doesn't ask for 7+)

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They’re gonna do what Chicago and we could not: Make the league change the rules. Canada is so mad right now!
Good, I'm completely happy if US teams win the Cup every year for the rest of time. Canada can win World Junior and Olympics as much as they'd want, that's fine with me.

It really depends on a few things, and if Stammer is willing to take a discount.

JBB should move Sheary as well. If he does that I think he could sign both lretty easily (again, depending on if Stamkos takes a deal and doesn't ask for 7+)
Moving Sheary will cost a good amount. Unless they retain half and Sheary is willing to go anywhere (at least anywhere in the States)

• Haha
Reactions: LightningStrikes

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Maybe they decided to dump one of Cirelli or Cernak instead of Stamkos?

Duclair alone isn't going to replace Stamkos' offense

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Cirelli to Chicago at the draft. Recoup the 1st. Or trade him to Columbus for more of a quantity package.

I feel like Stammer kills more offense then he creates. At least 5 on 5.

Without him the pp looks different but you have guys like Kuch, Point and Hagel. Nothing a little tweaking couldn't fix.
Just sign a cheap right shot scoring forward like Rodrigues or Sprong. Like we should have done this past summer.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Stamkos and Duclair would need to take some team friendly discounts, but if Tampa trades for Hanifin's rights and then offers him the 8th year at an aav of 6.5-6.75, it could work. Stamkos and Duclair would need to come in at a combined 6.5 or so, but there might be a path. Sheary and Jeannot would need to go, and there would need to be some other cap maneuvers involved, but it's not impossible. If Hanifin signs right away with Tampa though, I can definitely see Stamkos walking. The team could thennuse ~4 million on another ufa F while also signing Duclair.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
There's also very little chance any of Cirelli, Serg or Cernak are getting moved at the draft. They are pretty clearly viewed as part of the core, and all are in their primes. Getting rid of any of them to keep Stamkos on a bloated deal is horrible asset management.

Reactions: Zwui21

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Stamkos and Duclair would need to take some team friendly discounts, but if Tampa trades for Hanifin's rights and then offers him the 8th year at an aav of 6.5-6.75, it could work. Stamkos and Duclair would need to come in at a combined 6.5 or so, but there might be a path. Sheary and Jeannot would need to go, and there would need to be some other cap maneuvers involved, but it's not impossible. If Hanifin signs right away with Tampa though, I can definitely see Stamkos walking. The team could thennuse ~4 million on another ufa F while also signing Duclair.
Jeannot would likely be an easy cap dump where you get a 4th, Sheary would be trickier. You'd hope a couple of Goncalves, potentially Duke, Groshev, Finley win full time roster spots next year. Or you sign cheaper UFAs like Heinen to fill in admirably.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
It's rare to see many in hockey play with edge/bite. Part of that is the game speeding up, but part of it is that (North American) players from the most part come from wealthy families so they don't have that edge/dawg in their personality. Additionally, with the sport being nearly year round, fewer kids playing football and/or lacrosse growing up, which would create that edge/bite/no fear mentality you need in the playoffs.

In addition, the increase in European players has led to less physicality as well. Really only a handful of Russians are very physical. Finns are strong on the puck but they don't hit/scrum it up much.

I wish more hockey players that made it to the NHL still played football growing up. Toughen em up. And we need more hitting taught in minor hockey too.
Not sure about that. My hockey coaches from Canada in Florida where much tougher than my dad former college football players and any other football coach on me. It could be I quit football at 14 smaller fast player because I acceded at hockey. The first thing I was taught was to use the body to check in 12 under we were hitting each other every practice with hits that would outlawed today. I guess the late 90s/early 2000s were the mecca for physical physical hockey coaching and play. I still play beer league and watch the travel kids practice before us. They only really practice drills and barely hit. So many kids would be be knocked out with the moves they are pulling in center ice and crossing the blue line with their head down and have no fear of a shoulder hitting their head or chest or a nasty hip check. I don't think they really push and coach checking in non junior hockey nearly as much anymore.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
There's also very little chance any of Cirelli, Serg or Cernak are getting moved at the draft. They are pretty clearly viewed as part of the core, and all are in their primes. Getting rid of any of them to keep Stamkos on a bloated deal is horrible asset management.
Cernak: injury prone, handles puck like a grenade, no offense
Cirelli: not enough scoring, top end 3C at best
Sergachev: rover who doesn't defend well enough, passes puck to nowhere, coming off major injury

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Probably depends on who takes over on the PP, if he does leave. Duclair likely does provide enough offense to cover Stamkos 5v5, so it depends how much we lose on the PP, IMO.

Reactions: Outl4w

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not sure about that. My hockey coaches from Canada in Florida where much tougher than my dad former college football players and any other football coach on me. It could be I quit football at 14 smaller fast player because I acceded at hockey. The first thing I was taught was to use the body to check in 12 under we were hitting each other every practice with hits that would outlawed today. I guess the late 90s/early 2000s were the mecca for physical physical hockey coaching and play. I still play beer league and watch the travel kids practice before us. They only really practice drills and barely hit. So many kids would be be knocked out with the moves they are pulling in center ice and crossing the blue line with their head down and have no fear of a shoulder hitting their head or chest or a nasty hip check. I don't think they really push and coach checking in non junior hockey nearly as much anymore.
My point is that the current North American minor hockey players coming up aren't playing football as well (fewer playing lacrosse either) so they don't come in with the football mentality where it is cool and fun to hit.

Reactions: Outl4w

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We got du and du for our big additions. I don't see this team going anywhere. Duclair helps our top 9 but is a depth piece . Dumba is just a puck moving defenseman that is okay on the pp and solid offensive breakouts but isn't really good defensively. He is an upgrade to our top 6 current d but no moving the lightning forward in my opinion.
TDL grade- D+
We gave up more picks than we took in and didn't move the needle any. If we win a playoff round I would be shocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad