Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What I noticed in this video is that very often he had a very good option to pass the puck but chose the more risky option to dangle around the defender.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Zeev’s skating that may be something that teams look at as a bonus. He’s already a very effective player, how much better could he be if you could address those skating mechanics?
Different theories on this... but I subscribe to athletes that are fixable. Not pretty who will get stronger. So I'm in this camp. It isn't a real popular camp though.
Shit, I do that on short shifts.

Honestly though, my skating/balance has improved a lot this winter. They guys I play with no longer take great pains to avoid touching me and I've gotten good enough they don't fear giving me a little contact but man I tell you, I don't know how Jagr does it. I'm 51 as well and getting accidentally knocked down at -20F SUUUUUUCKS. How he's still playing the occasional professional game and taking hits is just mind boggling. The guy is just a freaking legend.

Unsolicited tip on how to fix that... roll up a bath towel, stand on it with your arch with one leg, squat down as far as possible... then shift your upper body from side to side. I tell young players to stickhandle a tennis ball. You'll fall and your calves will burn... but do that daily and it'll clean that motion up.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Different theories on this... but I subscribe to athletes that are fixable. Not pretty who will get stronger. So I'm in this camp. It isn't a real popular camp though.

Unsolicited tip on how to fix that... roll up a bath towel, stand on it with your arch with one leg, squat down as far as possible... then shift your upper body from side to side. I tell young players to stickhandle a tennis ball. You'll fall and your calves will burn... but do that daily and it'll clean that motion up.
Hey thanks Hench! My ankles have never really felt sore, but the lack of strength and stability I have in them has been pretty apparent to me. It's gotten better but I like this... Seems like it's designed to isolate and work on exactly those issues.

Learning to skate and play at this stage of life might be a painful choice, but I'm really glad I decided to do it. The irony of me being a such a big fan but also having never really skated became too much. Also, I think the humility that comes with learning something completely new has also been good for my soul.

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Hey thanks Hench! My ankles have never really felt sore, but the lack of strength and stability I have in them has been pretty apparent to me. It's gotten better but I like this... Seems like it's designed to isolate and work on exactly those issues.

Learning to skate and play at this stage of life might be a painful choice, but I'm really glad I decided to do it. The irony of me being a such a big fan but also having never really skated became too much. Also, I think the humility that comes with learning something completely new has also been good for my soul.
go out and don't tie your skates up and skate around that way.

• Wow
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
If the Avs are going to continue to be big players in NCAA free agency, Karsen Dorwart is someone they should be looking at.

He plays Bednar style hockey. Competes hard / plays heavy. Enough skill to chip in offence. Has a good shot when given space. Not an amazing skater, but good enough.

Could be a really nice 4th line center, with a chance for a 3rd line winger. Good penalty killer too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
McKenzie's mid season rankings is out, anyone of interest in our range (as of now)?
As stated last year... Avs should really be trading this pick. In general though a few guys I really like around that late first are Boisvert, Surin, Hutson, Badinka, and Letourneau. Surin has a real boom/bust potential to him, but I love some wild man hockey (he plays like Zegras/Kent Johnson).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is not necessarily a post for this draft (more random thoughts), but apparently, all of Iginla's sons are doing REALLY damn good in their respective leagues. He has three sons with one being draft-eligible this year, but the two younger ones performing just as good as Tij was at the same age.

Also, Trevor Daley's son known as "Trevor Daley" is looking to be the best or second-best USA player of his birth year. Another kid's up there with him (Rocco Pelosi) who is looking to be as good as Jack Hughes at the same age. Still a lot of time for their draft years though, the next amazing one for the USA is supposedly James Hagens (2025), for Slovakia, Luka Radivojevič (2025), for Canada, Gavin McKenna (2026), and for Sweden, Viggo Bjorck (2026).

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is not necessarily a post for this draft (more random thoughts), but apparently, all of Iginla's sons are doing REALLY damn good in their respective leagues. He has three sons with one being draft-eligible this year, but the two younger ones performing just as good as Tij was at the same age.

Also, Trevor Daley's son known as "Trevor Daley" is looking to be the best or second-best USA player of his birth year. Another kid's up there with him (Rocco Pelosi) who is looking to be as good as Jack Hughes at the same age. Still a lot of time for their draft years though, the next amazing one for the USA is supposedly James Hagens (2025), for Slovakia, Luka Radivojevič (2025), for Canada, Gavin McKenna (2026), and for Sweden, Viggo Bjorck (2026).
Iggy only has two sons, Tij and Joe. His oldest is a daughter, Jade Iginla. I was actually looking at Joe Iginla's stats a few days ago and they are kind of eye popping. 80G 62A for 142 points in 60 games on his AAA team

Reactions: S E P H

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
Lost the article but apparently Trevor Connelly is taking flack for posting with a friend in a video some time ago of a swastika made out of buildings blocks.

He's one of the most talented in the draft and could slip to our pick.
He was a player I was eyeing as he was ranked in the 20's

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Lost the article but apparently Trevor Connelly is taking flack for posting with a friend in a video some time ago of a swastika made out of buildings blocks.

He's one of the most talented in the draft and could slip to our pick.
He was a player I was eyeing as he was ranked in the 20's
Eh...I don't really want someone that at best is a complete dumbass and at worst a raging racist.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
yeah I was wondering how this would affect him

I mean he was a kid
I guess it depends how old he was. I am of the opinion that 13 year olds are not human beings, so if he was a f***wit edgelord back then I wouldn't hold it against him as much as if it was recent or part of a pattern of behavior.

The Avs rate character super high in the draft. If they do pick him, they will have turned over every stone to figure out what kind of person he is.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess it depends how old he was. I am of the opinion that 13 year olds are not human beings, so if he was a f***wit edgelord back then I wouldn't hold it against him as much as if it was recent or part of a pattern of behavior.

The Avs rate character super high in the draft. If they do pick him, they will have turned over every stone to figure out what kind of person he is.
The Avs don’t rate character super high… they’ve taken a lots of chances over the years. When they just draft a character guy they pound that message to death.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Avs don’t rate character super high… they’ve taken a lots of chances over the years. When they just draft a character guy they pound that message to death.
I suggest they rate it super high when it comes to the 1-2 rounds of the draft, but are more forgiving when it comes to 4th and beyond. The only bloke who seemed like a douche/iffy character was Wolski whom they took high, and of course, there is Bleackley, but it seems he "frauded" his way to being a 1st rounder.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I suggest they rate it super high when it comes to the 1-2 rounds of the draft, but are more forgiving when it comes to 4th and beyond. The only bloke who seemed like a douche/iffy character was Wolski whom they took high, and of course, there is Bleackley, but it seems he "frauded" his way to being a 1st rounder.
Stewart had flags raised around him too in the first. Greer had some questions too. Then we have the obvious issues on the NHL team. I’m not saying the Avs don’t care… they just are not super crazy about it. Just when they draft a Jost they throat F us with it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Eh...I don't really want someone that at best is a complete dumbass and at worst a raging racist.
I feel like the drama with Connolly is majorly overblown. People are trying to paint him like this year's Mitchell Miller or Mailloux and his "red flags" aren't even remotely as severe. It sounds like he learned from the incident and all his coaches at Tri-City and USA hockey say he's a good kid from what I've read. Frankly I bet every single kid in the draft has done something dumb that if it came to light wouldn't be the best look for them.

The swastika thing was unquestionably stupid and in poor taste, but it was clearly just dumb teenagers trying to be edgy rather than him declaring himself as some ardent neo-nazi or something

Reactions: LTCPain75

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I feel like the drama with Connolly is majorly overblown. People are trying to paint him like this years Mitchell Miller or Mailloux and his "red flags" aren't even remotely as severe.
Those 2 shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Personally really liking the looks of this draft. Feels like there will be at least a few skilled kids dropping into the 20's for various reasons (size, press, down year). Wouldn't be surprised if Avs grabbed Ryder, has good upside himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00