Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is certainly a strong defensive draft (and I greatly appreciate there are varied types of defenders at the top), but 7 in the first 12 seems a bit rich.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
That NA goalie list is...rougher than usual. Haven't really seen any of those on the International list so maybe there's some gems there. Otherwise it's like Ryerson Leenders and a bunch of goalies you hope can develop in way that covers up their obvious weaknesses.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really want the Avs to take a flyer on Kenta Isogai when the singing period opens up.... the points are finally following his motor and skill set. He would fit so perfectly with how the Avs play and I think there is enough there to take a chance.

Reactions: S E P H

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I say we flip this years 1st round pick at the TDL for a 2C. Obvious pick is Lindholm, but I feel like we need to make a big move going into the playoffs.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I say we flip this years 1st round pick at the TDL for a 2C. Obvious pick is Lindholm, but I feel like we need to make a big move going into the playoffs.
For this year, I'd be perfectly happy with Lindholm. But I really am not a fan of keeping him around. I think he's already started his decline and think the wheels will fall off relatively soonish for him. If there is a younger C out there, I think I'd be willing to pay a king's ransom for him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not unpopular at all. In fact, if they don't move it for a 2nd line centre and we watch all the Cs get traded without acquiring one, CMac should be fired the next morning.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Question for our goalie gurus...
Is Evan Gardner a product of the team in front of him or is there something there? Saskatoon is the best team in the WHL and they also allow the least amount of goals against. He has very good stats in his first year in the WHL but he is not rank very high by NHL Scouting. He was also very good at lower level in Kelowna the year prior.

Reactions: LTCPain75

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’m not a goalie expert, but Gardner is really raw and I don’t find him really athletic. At 6’2” (which I think is generous) he’s a touch too small to be a positional guy. Maybe a late round flyer at this point, but not a first few round guy.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I’m not a goalie expert, but Gardner is really raw and I don’t find him really athletic. At 6’2” (which I think is generous) he’s a touch too small to be a positional guy. Maybe a late round flyer at this point, but not a first few round guy.
Thanks. Yeah with his ranking I was more thinking about late round like 6th or 7th.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I feel like this is the same scouting fallacy that led to both Tyson Jost and Alex Newhook being labeled good to excellent skaters.

This video is all one needs to see to realize this kid is not a great skater.

You can see almost immediately after all of the moves he makes there is virtually zero separation created.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I feel like this is the same scouting fallacy that led to both Tyson Jost and Alex Newhook being labeled good to excellent skaters.

I’d argue the exact opposite… Jost and Newhook were very pretty skaters. Zeev is ugly af but works. He’s more Brink than Jost.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This video is all one needs to see to realize this kid is not a great skater.

You can see almost immediately after all of the moves he makes there is virtually zero separation created.
Yeah, great hands but my God it almost looks like he locks his knees when he extends.

I suppose it’s different from, say, Jost. His stride looked fine, he just got, like, no power from it.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, great hands but my God it almost looks like he locks his knees when he extends.

I suppose it’s different from, say, Jost. His stride looked fine, he just got, like, no power from it.
Yeah it’s an incredibly unfluid movement. He flails his ankles out badly too… especially on long shifts.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah it’s an incredibly unfluid movement. He flails his ankles out badly too… especially on long shifts.
Shit, I do that on short shifts.

Honestly though, my skating/balance has improved a lot this winter. They guys I play with no longer take great pains to avoid touching me and I've gotten good enough they don't fear giving me a little contact but man I tell you, I don't know how Jagr does it. I'm 51 as well and getting accidentally knocked down at -20F SUUUUUUCKS. How he's still playing the occasional professional game and taking hits is just mind boggling. The guy is just a freaking legend.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad