Prospect Info: The 2023 Draft Thread

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s actually probably one of the better results for us. San Jose might rebound next year if they got Bedard and Anaheim has a ton of good pieces in place to be on the rise soon. Chicago is a mess

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Black hawks have nothing. Just Bedard and Jones.

poor Bedard is going to get run.
If the expansion draft has taught us anything, it's that teams that start from $0 have a huge competitive advantage over the rest of the NHL when it comes to building a competitive hockey team.

That being said, probably not a great spot to be if he wants to score a lot of points out of the gate.

Reactions: gordonhught

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I said he was going to Chicago weeks ago. League wants Chicago relevant like the Rangers. This thing is as rigged as it gets.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If the expansion draft has taught us anything, it's that teams that start from $0 have a huge competitive advantage over the rest of the NHL when it comes to building a competitive hockey team.

That being said, probably not a great spot to be if he wants to score a lot of points out of the gate.
That's more about the expansion draft though. Both teams were able to build considerable depth consisting of actual NHL'ers. In particular, both teams had decent defenses. The free agent class this year on the back end could be pretty scarry.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Happy he's going to Chicago. SJ and Ana just pale in comparison in terms of the hype and fame and general interest they can provide.

Bedard in Chicago is 10x better for the NHL.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Happy he's going to Chicago. SJ and Ana just pale in comparison in terms of the hype and fame and general interest they can provide.

Bedard in Chicago is 10x better for the NHL.

Hence why he went there.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's more about the expansion draft though. Both teams were able to build considerable depth consisting of actual NHL'ers. In particular, both teams had decent defenses. The free agent class this year on the back end could be pretty scary.
The draft itself is valid, but Vegas hasn't built that competitive product out of the players they selected. They utilized their cap flexibility to pull essentially free players, while also stockpiling futures that they later utilized to bring in supporting talent like Mark Stone and Jack Eichel. Free agency also brought them Alex Pietrangelo right off of a Cup win.

Seattle's still relatively early in the process, but they've utilized that available cap space in one offseason to add legitimate top six talent through free agency and trade.

If I'm Chicago, everything must go. I'm the Arizona Coyotes willing to take on bad contracts for free assets. And I'm going into free agency looking for guys who want to zoom their stats for a year or two next to Bedard. Pump and dump. Eventually I'll have the assets to go out and get that Eichel, that Stone or that Pietrangelo.

The $0 committed team has an exciting number of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: McOilers97 and TB12

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The draft itself is valid, but Vegas hasn't built that competitive product out of the players they selected. They utilized their cap flexibility to pull essentially free players, while also stockpiling future that they later utilized to bring in supporting talent Mark Stone and Jack Eichel. Free agency brought them Alex Pietrangelo right off of a Cup win.

Seattle's still relatively early in the process, but they've utilized that available cap space in one offseason to add legitimate top six talent through free agency and trade.

If I'm Chicago, everything must go. I'm the Arizona Coyotes willing to take on bad contracts for free assets. And I'm going into free agency looking for guys who want to zoom their stats for a year or two next to Bedard. Pump and dump. Eventually I'll have the assets to go out and get that Eichel, that Stone or that Pietrangelo.

The $0 committed team has an exciting number of options.
I do wonder though if Vegas had not had the success that they did in their first two years would we have seen the same desire for high end players to go there. The location of course has advantages in terms of life style and in terms of taxes. But without the relatively cheap depth they got from their expansion draft they would have been hadr pressed to win even with the FA signings. They have Marchesault, Stephenson, Theodore and even AP making a combined $10M or so at least under their market value. And even so, without some creative use of LTIR they would never have been able to make several of the moves they made and still keep their depth.

Like you my guess is that Chicago spends one more year in full on tank mode. As far as pump and dump, we'll see. I am not sure that Bedard will be elevating people's stats as much as some think. Teh UFA market this year is pretty brutal. Maybe Kane or DeBrincat goes back. But after that there are barely any legit 2nd line forwards that I expect would either still be available or would have any interest in Chicago. Michael Bunting at $5M might be what they are looking at.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I do wonder though if Vegas had not had the success that they did in their first two years would we have seen the same desire for high end players to go there. The location of course has advantages in terms of life style and in terms of taxes. But without the relatively cheap depth they got from their expansion draft they would have been hadr pressed to win even with the FA signings. They have Marchesault, Stephenson, Theodore and even AP making a combined $10M or so at least under their market value. And even so, without some creative use of LTIR they would never have been able to make several of the moves they made and still keep their depth.
I think the only major free agent acquisition they've made this far was Pietro. But I don't doubt that Vegas is a desirable locale for pending FAs. Though I don't see Chicago as an unattractive one.
Like you my guess is that Chicago spends one more year in full on tank mode. As far as pump and dump, we'll see. I am not sure that Bedard will be elevating people's stats as much as some think. Teh UFA market this year is pretty brutal. Maybe Kane or DeBrincat goes back. But after that there are barely any legit 2nd line forwards that I expect would either still be available or would have any interest in Chicago. Michael Bunting at $5M might be what they are looking at.
I thought they did a half decent job of pump and dump this past season. The Domi and Athanasiou gambles only cost them a small amount. They didn't commit to any term and they dealt the guys that had value. Those are types of players available again in this year's market. If Kane decides to play again, why wouldn't he circle back and potentially get another shot with a contender later in the year?

Personally my number one offseason target would be Alexis Lafreniere. I'd be Chris Drury's best friend willing to help them out of their cap constraints. Why wouldn't you?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
CHI may attract some good guys right away. I can see Debrincat and Kane open to returning. Maybe even Toews despite all the soapy farewells.

6 top 60 picks including Bedard and over 40mil in cap space despite Zaistev and Jones is a great spot to be for an original 6 team.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Take Bob's final rankings and chop the top 55. It's pick 56 and your OTC, who are you taking?
  • I'm leaning defense and eyeing Beau Akey here. I think this draft regime values skating in their blueliners and Akey is sublime in that regard. Was on a tear prior to Clarke returning and then took a backseat. Too bad we don't scout the OHL.
  • I like Myatovic, he scored well at ES and was buried, albeit on a stacked depth chart, but I've had a hard time adjusting to him climbing up the rankings from relative obscurity in the ~100s.
  • I like the goaltending depth in general in this draft, but not with our first pick.

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Take Bob's final rankings and chop the top 55. It's pick 56 and your OTC, who are you taking?
  • I'm leaning defense and eyeing Beau Akey here. I think this draft regime values skating in their blueliners and Akey is sublime in that regard. Was on a tear prior to Clarke returning and then took a backseat. Too bad we don't scout the OHL.
  • I like Myatovic, he scored well at ES and was buried, albeit on a stacked depth chart, but I've had a hard time adjusting to him climbing up the rankings from relative obscurity in the ~100s.
  • I like the goaltending depth in general in this draft, but not with our first pick.

The link you posted was his mid-season. You want this one:

If it breaks this way I would go after Caden Price or Beau Akey for sure. Myatovic is about on par with Schaefer and he went in the 1st last year. Can't say im a big fan of Cataford and Pitre is okay but not someone I would be screaming for.

I could see the Oilers looking at Fowler, Augustine, or Gajan with our 2nd round pick. I think Hrabal goes in the first round.

Reactions: Dr Awesome and Soli

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The link you posted was his mid-season. You want this one:

If it breaks this way I would go after Caden Price or Beau Akey for sure. Myatovic is about on par with Schaefer and he went in the 1st last year. Can't say im a big fan of Cataford and Pitre is okay but not someone I would be screaming for.

I could see the Oilers looking at Fowler, Augustine, or Gajan with our 2nd round pick. I think Hrabal goes in the first round.
Looking at that it's hard not to imagine the Oilers zeroing in on Myatovic.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I hope we use one of those later round picks on a goaltender. Skinner graduated and i'm not sure if Rodrigue is a true NHL goalie. Fanti is already 23.

Jonsson had a good year in Sweden but it wouldn't hurt to keep adding to the pipeline.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad