Prospect Info: The 2023 Draft Thread

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Down to a 2nd, 5th, 6th and 7th this year, and not guaranteed that come the draft.

We're hovering around a mid 50ish pick in the 2nd round. Here's McKenzie's midseason rankings: TradeCentre - Home of TSN's National Hockey League Trade Deadline Day coverage

Wonder if Gulyayev or Simashev tumble from the Russian factor. We might see Allan's stock tumble into the late second based on trajectory. Has Gibson & Akey projected for around there. Looks like there might be some defensemen around that I'd be alright with. With the lack of picks in the top-120, I imagine they'll look at moving back.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Off topic, but looking at a potential UFA D prospect, it's quite possible that Buffalo 2019 1st rounder Ryan Johnson doesn't sign with them this summer.

21 years old in his senior year with the Minnesota Gophers, he's a mobile, defense first LD who would probably be first in line for a call up in Bakersfield if he signed here. He'd be a heck of a pickup if they could swing it.

Quite a long shot seeing as he's from California and LA seems like a favorable destination. Minnesota makes sense for him, too. Just thought I'd mention him regardless. We're looking a little lean on the left side in Bakersfield even with Dineen.

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Off topic, but looking at a potential UFA D prospect, it's quite possible that Buffalo 2019 1st rounder Ryan Johnson doesn't sign with them this summer.

21 years old in his senior year with the Minnesota Gophers, he's a mobile, defense first LD who would probably be first in line for a call up in Bakersfield if he signed here. He'd be a heck of a pickup if they could swing it.

Quite a long shot seeing as he's from California and LA seems like a favorable destination. Minnesota makes sense for him, too. Just thought I'd mention him regardless. We're looking a little lean on the left side in Bakersfield even with Dineen.

Off topic sure but love that you wanna talk about it, we need 20+ yo defensemen in the prospect pool and with decreasing draft capital we need to be active in other procurement avenues. I want us to be active in the NCAA UFA D market, or even Euro defensemen. Bakersfield needs a body or two next season.

Regarding Johnson specifically, Buffalo moved on from Portillo's rights and I would assume their comfortable with Johnson's current mindset. Dunno if you perused a recent Pronman Athletic article, but he has a list of impending prospects with upcoming rights deadlines, and touched on that he thinks Buffalo signs Ryan Johnson. But yeah, something to have feelers on if that goes sideways. The California teams, save San Jose, have some prospect rich pipelines, they can't keep themselves from getting spurned... by Thurn. I'll see myself out.

Have you kept tabs on Dineen since the Battalion days?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Off topic sure but love that you wanna talk about it, we need 20+ yo defensemen in the prospect pool and with decreasing draft capital we need to be active in other procurement avenues. I want us to be active in the NCAA UFA D market, or even Euro defensemen. Bakersfield needs a body or two next season.

Regarding Johnson specifically, Buffalo moved on from Portillo's rights and I would assume their comfortable with Johnson's current mindset. Dunno if you perused a recent Pronman Athletic article, but he has a list of impending prospects with upcoming rights deadlines, and touched on that he thinks Buffalo signs Ryan Johnson. But yeah, something to have feelers on if that goes sideways. The California teams, save San Jose, have some prospect rich pipelines, they can't keep themselves from getting spurned... by Thurn. I'll see myself out.

Have you kept tabs on Dineen since the Battalion days?
I think Pronman's speculating based off of someone else's speculation honestly. Looking at Buffalo's internal depth at LD, I can see why he might be looking at other situations. They've got two LHD they've taken 1st overall in recent years and the Sabres have made a strong commitment to Mattias Samuelsson. Add Bryson and the weird trade for Riley Stillman and there's a lot of roadblocks to him seeing a regular shift at the NHL level.

That mid 40s pick in 2024 might be a pretty enticing item for them, too. They're in that area where the team needs to add NHL depth and 2nd rounders are good trade capital.

In regards to Dineen, no, I have noticed much of him since he left junior. Arizona's always been an odd market so I've seen more of him at the NHL level and I don't think that's in his future. Really solid AHL defenseman from what I can gather though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was Edmonton for the HF Habs: - 2023 Early Bird 15th Annual Mock Draft (Round Seven) .

I usually go on the team forum and post the results to see how happy/mad people would be with that draft. Here is what the few picks your team has garnered:
52. Edmonton: Jesse Kiiskinen (RW) - Pelicans (Liiga)
148. Edmonton: Nikolai Nikulshin (G) - Loko-76 Yaroslavl (MHL)
180. Edmonton: Gavyn Thoreson (LW/C) - Andover Huskies (USHS-MN)
212. Edmonton: Eric Pohlkamp (D) - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)

Happy? Mad? Meh?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was Edmonton for the HF Habs: - 2023 Early Bird 15th Annual Mock Draft (Round Seven) .

I usually go on the team forum and post the results to see how happy/mad people would be with that draft. Here is what the few picks your team has garnered:
52. Edmonton: Jesse Kiiskinen (RW) - Pelicans (Liiga)
148. Edmonton: Nikolai Nikulshin (G) - Loko-76 Yaroslavl (MHL)
180. Edmonton: Gavyn Thoreson (LW/C) - Andover Huskies (USHS-MN)
212. Edmonton: Eric Pohlkamp (D) - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL)

Happy? Mad? Meh?

Trade them all in a package for Karlsson. :nod:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We need another goalie in the system....with upside....sample size not overly large.....Adam Gajan like there at our pick in the second.
Is he the best goalie prospect this draft?

Just did some reading and this guy isn't even top tier goalie of this draft... And the two top ones apparently aren't as good as Cossa/Wallstedt.

I would try and trade for Cossa who has fallen down in value a bit for DET.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

Just did some reading and this guy isn't even top tier goalie of this draft... And the two top ones apparently aren't as good as Cossa/Wallstedt.

You watched the world juniors ...right?
Alot of judging goalies aren't where they are today but in looking at mechanics and gambling on upside.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Hrabal probably considered tops. Gajan, Bjarnson, Fowler and Augustine as the others to consider.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
'Count' Bukala's Top 60. Good, thorough list from a professional talent evaluator.

I think the Oil look centre/wing versatility with size, maybe sandpaper or maybe defense depth with their late 2nd round pick. He's got Coulson Pitre at 51 who I really liked at the Top Prospect Game. High energy guy who plays well with talented line mates and good utility. (I doubt he falls to the Oil pick but who knows eh).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad