Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Based on point percentage, Oilers only two spots away from being in the Bedard sweepstakes.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I personally do not give two f**** about the draft for the next few years. Boggles my mind that people do with the Oilers window

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Too bad that the best ranked defender in this draft is 17 and there isn't any elite guys we could draft high anyways.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
"I spoke at the GM meetings in November and I told them, 'This draft class is going to live up to the hype,'" the NHL's VP of central scouting, Dan Marr, told ESPN. "But there's a quicker end point than usual. There are 50-60 really good prospects. After that it does start to level off."

Reactions: McDoused

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hella Top Prospects Game in Langley. This was my third attending and it is incredible how fast this game has become along with high skill level of players.

Bedard was fun to see live. Kid has some edge in his game and was grinding with Dragicevic all night. Some great flashes of his superlative skill but no points. Think he might have been -2 or -3 on the night.

Great Saskatoon representation with Brayden Yager, Ryley Heidt, and Caden Price. The two forwards had great games with excellent skill games. I hate the Lacrosse goal but Heidt attempted it with speed and fluidity stopped by a nice save. He was on the puck all night. Yager was very good as a two way centreman. Price the d-man got burned on a goal but looked like more a shutdown defender role.

Another Sasky Kalan Lind was in the guts of the game all night. Typical Red Deer Rebel type player (reminds me of Colby Armstrong) hitting, agitating, and got in a fight. High character.

Really liked Tanner Molendyk's (who plays for the Saskatoon Blades) two way game. Nice puck transporter abilities and defended well. His defensive game broke down a bit in second half maybe chasing offence a bit. But really liked his calm, smart game ... except for biting on one ankle breaker Bedard rush deke.

I really liked Coulson Pitre. Can see a very smart player with his puck distribution and finding open ice as a winger. Didn't like Oliver Bonk much noticing his awkward skating reminds me so much of his Dad. But watched the recorded game later and he made so many smart defending plays.

Three WHL goaltenders is a rarity. Thought the weak link was Team Red's OHL tender Charlie Robertson.

Lots of Canadian skill on display!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I personally do not give two f**** about the draft for the next few years. Boggles my mind that people do with the Oilers window
I think its actually time to start having more of a discussion on the draft. Specifically what do people know about players in the 15-30 range. The reason is more to do with assessing what the team would give up in a trade of that pick. It looks to me like the back half of the first is rich in wingers and defensemen, two assets that the Oilers have in abundance. I'd be very curious to hear opinions of people who have followed this draft a lot more than I have about what targets might be most appropriate for the Oilers assuming they were picking 20-32 for example.

There is not a lot of OHL content in the first this year so I won't see many of these kids play. One guy I'd like to hear more about is Ryley Heidt.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think its actually time to start having more of a discussion on the draft. Specifically what do people know about players in the 15-30 range. The reason is more to do with assessing what the team would give up in a trade of that pick. It looks to me like the back half of the first is rich in wingers and defensemen, two assets that the Oilers have in abundance. I'd be very curious to hear opinions of people who have followed this draft a lot more than I have about what targets might be most appropriate for the Oilers assuming they were picking 20-32 for example.

There is not a lot of OHL content in the first this year so I won't see many of these kids play. One guy I'd like to hear more about is Ryley Heidt.

Check out some London games for Oliver Bonk if you can.

He’d be a nice stylistic fit and should probably sneak into that 20-30 range.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Check out some London games for Oliver Bonk if you can.

He’d be a nice stylistic fit and should probably sneak into that 20-30 range.
Usually I see London about 5 times a year. This year I have seen about 6 minutes in one game vs the Rangers. I have OHL games with my Center Ice package but have not had a chance to watch much beyond a little NB here and there.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
"Former Saskatoon AAA Contact Brayden Yager is ranked No. 5 among North American skaters for the 2023 National Hockey League Draft. The Moose Jaw Warriors forward is one of four Contact alumni ranked for this year’s draft. He’s joined by fellow forwards Kalan Lind (Red Deer Rebels) at No. 23 and Riley Heidt (Prince George Cougars) at No. 26, as well as defenceman Caden Price (Kelowna Rockets) at No. 30."

Kevin Korchinski is another Saskatoon Contacts grad drafted first round last year.

Watch next year for Berkly Catton, just graduated from the Contacts, who Craig Button currently projects at #4 for next year's draft.

Incredible run for a small prairie city and one elite midget club team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You need to tell this to the only guy that can actually do anything about it. Kenny Holland.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Another Sasky Kalan Lind was in the guts of the game all night. Typical Red Deer Rebel type player (reminds me of Colby Armstrong) hitting, agitating, and got in a fight. High character.

Agreed. He plays the game the game the right way all the time. These type of players are valuable without size and he's got decent size. Still raw but his skillset is really translatable to pro hockey

Unrelated, but I think Callum Ritchie has the exact toolset the oilers have been valuing so much. While I believe he's overrated, I bet the Oilers are in love him with. Hunter Brzustewicz is another raw toolsy player the Oilers are likely swooning over imo.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Agreed. He plays the game the game the right way all the time. These type of players are valuable without size and he's got decent size. Still raw but his skillset is really translatable to pro hockey

Unrelated, but I think Callum Ritchie has the exact toolset the oilers have been valuing so much. While I believe he's overrated, I bet the Oilers are in love him with. Hunter Brzustewicz is another raw toolsy player the Oilers are likely swooning over imo.
Agreed about Lind. Seems a lot more physical and greasy than his older brother who was a Canuckles second round pick. Could be a solid character support type player.

I didn't notice Ritchie much though he had an empty net goal and assist. Decent size. Nor Brzustewicz. There was so much talent on the ice. Really liked Molendyck who looks like a solid, all situational two-way defender. Nice skater.

@Fourier here's a WHL draft feature on Riley Heidt: WHL Bantam Draft: All in the family; elite skater Riley Heidt comes by hockey naturally

Saskatoon Blades general manager Colin Priestner, after comparing Heidt’s teammate Brayden Yager to Jonathan Toews, likened Heidt to Patrick Kane in a “loose” comparison.

“He is almost a Kane where he’s got that elite, deadly scoring ability,” suggested Priestner. “He’s probably the best skating forward in the draft, just a once-in-every-three-or-four-years type of skater at forward. He has all the tools to be an explosive 50-goal scorer at our level. He competes very hard, has leadership abilities, wants it really bad. Again, a different player than Yager.

Brayden Yager: WHL Bantam Draft: Projected top-three pick Brayden Yager played goalie once, and he's been scoring goals ever since

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Coulson Pitre is a guy I appreciate more the more I watch him.

He's one of those guys that could be a great #3C or a McWinger. Oozes hockey sense and two-way play. Plays a physical game, but also has sneaky good vision.

"Cerebral player, very smart and always in the right positions on both sides of the puck – A strong and highly effective 5-on-5 player that is also used in all key areas and special teams situations – Great poise with the puck, takes his time and makes the right and often creative decisions – Willing to battle and fight through contact – Can fit pucks through tight windows and consistently executes difficult reads with speed- Very nice touch with the puck – Very smart and crafty – Makes lots of subtle, often under appreciated plays in all three zones – Good awareness to feel contact and roll-off – Slippery and difficult to contain in the offensive zone – Able to shoot in stride and changes angles to get shots through – Strong and creative plays off the cycle – Can weave thru offensive zone traffic with the puck and make difficult reads – Fights through abuse and is willing to give it back – Will play physical and battle – Excellent two-way player with great attention to detail – Makes his teammates better."

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I agree where the first, and even second round are concerned. But with regards to rounds 3-7 im interested in names we should be considering. That's how you sustain success.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Craig Button ranks the last 20 year first overall picks. Where does Connor Bedard fit in his rankings?

Button is crazy. Why hype up a kid like that, drafting him higher than 800 goals Ovechkin. That is not true at all.
And I wonder about P Kane as well, his OHL numbers where Gretzky level, and I rank Kane higher than Bedard at draftyear. I ramk Bedard just under MacKinnon. Its crazy that MacKinnon is behind Bedard, as how special he was. And LOL at Dahlins genwrational label - ranked 12th at that list...

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Button is crazy. Why hype up a kid like that, drafting him higher than 800 goals Ovechkin. That is not true at all.
And I wonder about P Kane as well, his OHL numbers where Gretzky level, and I rank Kane higher than Bedard at draftyear. I ramk Bedard just under MacKinnon. Its crazy that MacKinnon is behind Bedard, as how special he was. And LOL at Dahlins genwrational label - ranked 12th at that list...
Button's had senior NHL talent assessment positions so I'll give him his due. But he's now in the sports entertainment business so everything is taken with a grain of salt. Having Bedard grade out above Ovechkin defies logic and credibility. Agree with you, behind Mackinnon and above Tavares and Hughes. I'd have Dahlin higher.

It's an interesting process to look and consider. Wild variance in the quality of drafts and first overall picks is pretty clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad